The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Movie Thread

Saw this joint last night with the wife. Pretty good movie. While the concept is pretty simple, I gotta say they presented it in a perfect way--some of thelines in the movie really make you think about life and what it means.

And the dude getting did in by lightning was hilarious. My man stayed getting bombed on whilst chillaxing and minding his business.
laugh.gif

I wanted to see this, but the whole fam wanted to watch Marley & Me
indifferent.gif

I guess that's what happens when we have 5 dogs
smh.gif

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Saw it last night and I must say it was amazing. Its about 3 hours but you dont feel it while your there because it didnt at all, the one time I looked at my watch was just to see how much of it had gone by and I was 2hours into it and didnt want to leave. In terms of accuracy compared to the short story, the only items that matched was just the character himself aging backwards but even that had some differences. There are some scenes in the book that are redone and found in the movie im sure if you re-read the short story before you see the movie you will recognize them.

Spoiler:

What was the symbolism behind the humming bird? Also what was the point of the whole Katrina happening in the background have to do with anything? And last I didnt really catch the whole clock thing but how did the clock and benjamin go hand in hand? If anyone could clear those up I'd appreciate it.
Spoiler [+]
Not sure about the humming bird, I'm gonna have to look that up. I think the point of Katrina was so the movie itself could be related in modern times. I mean you look throughout the whole film and the timelines fit into key events, ie: the big boat Benjamin sees on his first job is the Titantic, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, and lastly hurrican Katrina. Perhaps it was to signify that tragedy lingers around happiness. I think the clock and Benjamin go hand in hand because the clock maker designed the clock to go backwards, in hope of bringing his fallen son back to life, and Benjamin's life was essentially backwards, thus the relation between the two. Quoting F. Scott Fitzgerald, who was quoting Mark Twain, "This story was inspired by a remark of Mark Twain's to the effect that it was a pity that the best part of life came at the beginning and the worst part at the end. By trying the experiment upon only one man in a perfectly normal world I have scarecely given his idea a fair trial..."

Hope that helped!

I'll post my full initial reaction in a bit, but in short, this was the best piece of cinematic art I have ever encountered. Only one word can define TheCurious Case of Benjamin Button, perfect.

The movie was absolute brilliance. I was surprised to learn it was nearly three hours as it didn't feel that long at all (and I'm normally put off bylonger movies).
Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Hope that helped!
It did actually, especially the clarification of the particular ship he cruised by... very interesting indeed.
daf260f3d112bf2ec2ed5d44cdbcb12e2f1e09cc.gif

Originally Posted by Billy BloodBath

The movie was absolute brilliance. I was surprised to learn it was nearly three hours as it didn't feel that long at all (and I'm normally put off by longer movies).

Hope that helped!
It did actually, especially the clarification of the particular ship he cruised by... very interesting indeed.
too bad i dont think that's right. consider when than particular ship set sail and when he was supposedly born and they are years apart

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

The movie was absolute brilliance. I was surprised to learn it was nearly three hours as it didn't feel that long at all (and I'm normally put off by longer movies).

Hope that helped!
too bad i dont think that's right. consider when than particular ship set sail and when he was supposedly born and they are years apart
You're correct. Too bad - it sounded cool enough.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

Hope that helped!
You're correct. Too bad - it sounded cool enough.
laugh.gif
My history teacher wouldn't be too proud
smh.gif
Everything fit symbolically, however, with the roaring engine of the ship, and the viperousthunder.

Here's my review, from my blog, without giving away many, if any spoilers

[h3]http://iamqueensblvd.blogspot.com/2008/12/define-perfection.html[/h3]
[h3]Define Perfection...[/h3]A simple minded young fellow would open up the Merriam Webster's Dictionary his mother had bought him for school to define perfection. I however, have been enlightened, and infinitely graced with the cinematic God send, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

The endless tale conveys the message of the importance of time. An extremely gifted man, yet, tragically cursed, commands you on the melodramatic voyage known as his life.

Alas, you shall live the sea vicariously through the eyes of Benjamin Button. And experience the fervently arduous romance, which instilled Benjamin Button's character.

The mythical biography was well written, well acted (Cate Blanchett should be awarded, as well as Brad Pitt) , and well told. One can decipher the importance of the melancholic historical events included in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as signification that tragedy often lingers around happiness. After all, without tragedy, one would never experience true happiness.

Simply put, in layman's terms, the best 3 hours of your life will be spent watching this divine movie,
especially since The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is the stopper of time.

Perfection could no longer be defined as
the highest degree of proficiency, skill, or excellence, as in some art, as The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has plateaued cinema.

http://iamqueensblvd.blogspot.com/http://iamqueensblvd.blogspot.com/

The hummingbird symbolizes many different concepts. Because of its speed, the hummingbird is known as a messenger and stopper of time.
Wow. What a great movie, by far my favorite of all time, in my opinion the best of all time, and Brad Pitt and David Fincher's bests. Withthis film, Fincher and Pitt have elevated themselves to the level of Scorscese and De Neiro in my opinion. Hopefully they continue working together, because ithasn't failed once.

Originally Posted by rafiki zeeki

laugh.gif
movie had all sorts of random funny parts.
i guess they were trying to make up
for how long it was.

Can anybody tell me the 7 ways that one old guy was struck
by lightning? : lol

Overall tho: Good movie but it wasn't what I expected tho..
that had me dying
roll.gif

(i only caught a few tho)

-walking to check the mail
-driving in his truck
-nailing a roof

Originally Posted by youngflykidchris

Originally Posted by rafiki zeeki

laugh.gif
movie had all sorts of random funny parts.
i guess they were trying to make up
for how long it was.

Can anybody tell me the 7 ways that one old guy was struck
by lightning? : lol

Overall tho: Good movie but it wasn't what I expected tho..
that had me dying
roll.gif

(i only caught a few tho)

-walking to check the mail
-driving in his truck
-nailing a roof
walking his dog
if I remember the other 3 I'll post em. What a great movie.

After much deliberation I have to give this movie more credit then I already have, it simply was amazing. Being someone who constantly looks at life and whatis its true meaning, this movie perfectly executes and defines life. My final synopsis about it would be that it tells us that life no matter forward orbackward has the same end and the same beginning. The middle is defined by what we do at the beginning and that will essentially define our end. I might be offbut thats what I got with the whole purpose of Benjamin aging backwards because only his physical looks were reversed his mind was still forward.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Looks lame, I'd rather see Valkyrie
And you'll regret that decision maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but in 10 years from now you will. This movie has that kind of impact.
After much deliberation I have to give this movie more credit then I already have, it simply was amazing. Being someone who constantly looks at life and what is its true meaning, this movie perfectly executes and defines life. My final synopsis about it would be that it tells us that life no matter forward or backward has the same end and the same beginning. The middle is defined by what we do at the beginning and that will essentially define our end. I might be off but thats what I got with the whole purpose of Benjamin aging backwards because only his physical looks were reversed his mind was still forward.
Pretty much why F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote the short story, after being inspired by Mark Twain.

The scene with Daisy and the time being just off by 1 minute changing the lives forever was so realistic and thought provoking. Anybody that passes up on thismovie, is not doing life justice.

This movie is too damn depressing. But godamit it's good. 3 Hours well spent.

And about the dude who got struck by lightning, that's based on a true story. Except in real life the dude committed suicide
eyes.gif

I saw the movie last night, absolutely tremendous. Wonderful from beginning to end. The only question I can conjure for this film: does it earn the title"masterpiece?" Stellar cinematography, acting, directing, visual effects, plot, with a striking, indellible message at the end. I do not consider it"perfect," but the notion of perfection is not blasphemous.

I wouldn't watch it on a computer unless you have a nice sized screen or you could hook it up to a tv. 3 hours is a long time to stare at a computer.

Back
Top Bottom