The Fishing Thread, ANY ANGLERS ON NT ?!

Originally Posted by spizike231

Originally Posted by Ronaldo Nazario

I was debating on if this should go in the Sports forum, but I feel as though fishing is more of a hobby than a sport for most people.

We can post pictures of our recent catches here, share some local spots for some of us who live in the same areas as others, talk about set ups, rods, lures, baits, etc.

Was hoping that we could have a successful fishing thread if there are any fellow anglers out there on NT.. I just got handed down an old setup from my Grandpa and bought my license. Went fishing out by Lake Berryessa here in California yesterday, apparently they just opened the dam so all the fish are messed up from the increased water flow speed.

I usually go for Striped Bass, but I want to start fishing for Largemouth bass also. Don't know of any good places out here though besides the Sacramento river. (Mainly Salmon and Striped Bass there though), what about you NT?

I'm out here in Sacramento too. Trying to get my fishing game on but I'm just totally unware of 1. what I'm fishing for 2. where to fish 3. what to use. I'm used to bass fishing in Florida, but really want to get accustomed to fishing out here in the Sac and American rivers. 

1.) you're mainly fishing for Stripers and maybe Sturgeon right now. Randomly caught a tiny rainbow trout the other day though?
laugh.gif

2.) If you drive up and down Garden Highway you'll see tons of small pathways that aren't on private property that you can fish for free. Or you can fish Discovery Park which is also on Garden but it costs to park there. Then you'll need to find a spot. I suggest you start where everyone else is fishing.

3.) If you mean bait: Stripers are biting on Anchovies right now, cut them in half and put em on the hook.
Rig- use a striper rig, meaning your line will be as follows - line , weight slider, swivel, 1-3 foot leader, hook. I fish with 3-4 ounce weights depending on how the current is that morning.

Good luck. If anything I'd say buy a pole, try it out, and if you have any problems then ask some of the other people fishing. They're always friendly and helpful out here
pimp.gif

Sturgeon?  You got pics of that?  I thought they were some legendary fish. LOL

Props for you and those practicing good ethics.  Good to throw fish back !

In terms of starting off, it'll take time to build a tackle box, but the basics are pretty simple.  It's about having fun. 

I was debating on if this should go in the Sports forum, but I feel as though fishing is more of a hobby than a sport for most people.

We can post pictures of our recent catches here, share some local spots for some of us who live in the same areas as others, talk about set ups, rods, lures, baits, etc.

Was hoping that we could have a successful fishing thread if there are any fellow anglers out there on NT.. I just got handed down an old setup from my Grandpa and bought my license. Went fishing out by Lake Berryessa here in California yesterday, apparently they just opened the dam so all the fish are messed up from the increased water flow speed.

I usually go for Striped Bass, but I want to start fishing for Largemouth bass also. Don't know of any good places out here though besides the Sacramento river. (Mainly Salmon and Striped Bass there though), what about you NT?

I'm out here in Sacramento too. Trying to get my fishing game on but I'm just totally unware of 1. what I'm fishing for 2. where to fish 3. what to use. I'm used to bass fishing in Florida, but really want to get accustomed to fishing out here in the Sac and American rivers. 

1.) you're mainly fishing for Stripers and maybe Sturgeon right now. Randomly caught a tiny rainbow trout the other day though?
laugh.gif

2.) If you drive up and down Garden Highway you'll see tons of small pathways that aren't on private property that you can fish for free. Or you can fish Discovery Park which is also on Garden but it costs to park there. Then you'll need to find a spot. I suggest you start where everyone else is fishing.

3.) If you mean bait: Stripers are biting on Anchovies right now, cut them in half and put em on the hook.
Rig- use a striper rig, meaning your line will be as follows - line , weight slider, swivel, 1-3 foot leader, hook. I fish with 3-4 ounce weights depending on how the current is that morning.

Good luck. If anything I'd say buy a pole, try it out, and if you have any problems then ask some of the other people fishing. They're always friendly and helpful out here
pimp.gif

what size hook do you use and how far do you usually cast it? like should i cast it so my rig is in the middle of the river where all the current is at?

Originally Posted by senor chang

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

what size hook do you use and how far do you usually cast it? like should i cast it so my rig is in the middle of the river where all the current is at?

I use 3/0 size hooks and I usually cast as far as possible, which depending on the spot and the height of the tide can be between 1/4 - 1/2 the length of the river.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Sturgeon?  You got pics of that?  I thought they were some legendary fish. LOL

Props for you and those practicing good ethics.  Good to throw fish back !

In terms of starting off, it'll take time to build a tackle box, but the basics are pretty simple.  It's about having fun. 

Nah, I haven't caught any sturgeon.. I said maybe because you have to go to certain areas and use different bait for them to bite usually.. and you need a good line and over all set up. Those things are literally sharks and grow to be as tall as humans easily.

Fishing is about having fun, and getting away from everything that bothers you really. Enjoy your time
pimp.gif

Anybody eat the fish they catch? I hate throwing back i feel like i just messed with the fish too hard, i might as well eat it. Im going tommorow, ill make sure to update for you guys. Im in Ontario Canada, the rivers/lakes out here are beautiful for fresh water fishing.

Went to the Outer Banks last week and caught a bunch of fish. Not sure of the name, just know that they were small, silver and had spots near their tails.

I'm in Michigan I fish for trout, panfish, pike, large and small mouth bass, catfish, and salmon. Most my rods are st croix and high end quantum reels. I have thousands invested in tackle and rods and reels. I fish as much as possible. If anybody is looking for tips on fishing YouTube is loaded with videos on how to fish specific setups. Id post pics of my fish but I don't like posting pics of myself online.

I'm in Michigan I fish for trout, panfish, pike, large and small mouth bass, catfish, and salmon. Most my rods are st croix and high end quantum reels. I have thousands invested in tackle and rods and reels. I fish as much as possible. If anybody is looking for tips on fishing YouTube is loaded with videos on how to fish specific setups. Id post pics of my fish but I don't like posting pics of myself online.

St croixs :pimp:

Take me fishing pa... ill destroy some smallies with you

Did not know this thread existed... im
Maryland. fish fresh and salt water here, PA and Florida usually.

Ony been into it a cpl years, since i been by the water really. Have a couple daiwa rods. Penn reels.

Pretty unexpeirenced in everything but bass and flounder.

I love it though cant wait for my next charter, probably use some weeding money to build a lil skiff so i can relly get after em

You near ocmd?

Im a noob at anything but bass and flounder really but im accuiring some decent gear so I can get on some stripers this spring at the inlet.

I have a daiwa beefstick, a gloomis something or other i got atta yard sale and a penn fierce for salt. Penn reel or akuma bait feeder

For freshwater. Got some ugly sticks and i reallly like those cheap berkley rods (amps and cherrywoods). Tips are easily replaced and perfect for top water. Not enough backbone for jiggin but there great at skippin swimmin baits into spots from the bank

Last edited:
You near ocmd?

Im a noob at anything but bass and flounder really but im accuiring some decent gear so I can get on some stripers this spring at the inlet.

I have a daiwa beefstick, a gloomis something or other i got atta yard sale and a penn fierce for salt. Penn reel or akuma bait feeder

For freshwater. Got some ugly sticks and i reallly like those cheap berkley rods (amps and cherrywoods). Tips are easily replaced and perfect for top water. Not enough backbone for jiggin but there great at skippin swimmin baits into spots from the bank
I'm a few hours away from OC. Never tried saltwater fishing. Always down to try something new though.

I'm in Maryland too. Definitely getting out there this year.
Let's link up for a fishing trip. Been looking for a pond to fish in.

I'm more of a fresh water fisher than salt water.
That's a bet. Weather is starting to get better finally :smokin

salt or freshwater reel? just when i thought i was going to be able to go fishing soon it starts to snow

To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I'm learning as I go and picking people's brains así talk to them.

Let me know a weekend you are free and I'll Google some things

My COO at my company is big into fishing I could ask him again about some fresh water spots.

Back
Top Bottom