The Fishing Thread, ANY ANGLERS ON NT ?!

Whoa!

Nice find on this thread.

I am an avid angler, mostly targeting Musky in the following areas: St Lawrence River, Ottawa River, Rideau River, Kawartha Lakes and Lake St Clair.

I also fish bass and Northern Pike... And get down to Florida yearly for Okeechobee bass!

You near ocmd?

Im a noob at anything but bass and flounder really but im accuiring some decent gear so I can get on some stripers this spring at the inlet.

I have a daiwa beefstick, a gloomis something or other i got atta yard sale and a penn fierce for salt. Penn reel or akuma bait feeder

For freshwater. Got some ugly sticks and i reallly like those cheap berkley rods (amps and cherrywoods). Tips are easily replaced and perfect for top water. Not enough backbone for jiggin but there great at skippin swimmin baits into spots from the bank

A G Loomis at a yard sale... That's a piece of junk! Please send my way for proper disposal. K thx.

Freshwater here. Love bass fishing. Been fishing my whole life but got really really into it about 3 years ago. Copped a **** load of gear and was bass fishing 2-3 times a week for about a year straight lol. I had a bunch of different Abu Garcia reels and rods. Got rid of them all except for 1 rod and baitcaster which I figured I could use for just about any situation. I still have a bunch of other rods and reels for other types of fishing though. Lures for days all sitting in a few different tackle boxes. I used to order from tackle warehouse like every week :lol:

Just picked these up
bass fishing in Oklahoma eastern part soon hopefully .. Still need some line for my baitcaster any recommendations? Thinking about monofilament

I am as passionate about fishing as I am with Nikes/hoops. I live in the SF Bay so I fish for stripers, halibut, rock fish, lingcod etc. I also fish nearby lakes and reservoirs for trout, bass, and catfish. I would love to fish in the mid West and the South for all the different species you guys have mentioned. I recently went to Hawaii and it was one of the best fishing I've ever experienced, its a must for any angler.

As for gear, I swear by Shimano reels and St. Croix and Lamiglas rods. Good to see other anglers on here!

Just picked these up
bass fishing in Oklahoma eastern part soon hopefully .. Still need some line for my baitcaster any recommendations? Thinking about monofilament

What I run:

Monofilament - Berkley Trilene XL
Fluorocarbon - Seaguar AbrazX
Braided - Spiderwire Stealth

I've had spiderwire stealth on my bass rod for the longest. No complaints.

i too use spyder wire braid. mainly cuz im here on the eastern shore and its a good crossover line i can use it and whatever for a leader in fresh and salt. theyre mono is good too. 

this thread makes me happy lol

as far as the g loomis at a yard sale... ive passed on severalll besides the one i bought for 40 bucks LMFAO thats the beauty of living down here near all these snowbirds/retired people. If i were smart I would have bought a spear gun, bait launcher, dozens of motors and boats

The more I think about it with a bit of capital I could clean up with a little e store for this stuff

oh and one time i bought a full tackle pouch of crap from a widowed old lady. she was like giving stuff away. there was probably a dozen unopened yozuri 3d baits in there for striper and an entire case of hand made poppers and spoons. Probably one of the biggest reasons I wanna learn striper this year haha so much free tackle and I know I have the rods n reels for it. I just wanna hoist a 40 plus inch hog up over my head and scream to the heavens :lol:

Last edited:
Set up a largemouth rod last season with fluorocarbon on an Ugly Stik GX2.

For my river rod I have braided on a Lamiglas rod handed down from my Grandpa. :smokin I need to get some salmon on the end of that line this season.

Trout rod has thin line and a basic rod set up but has seen the most fish in the past couple of seasons.

All spinners.

Glad to see this thread back and running.

Some trouts from last summer in Wyoming

Can't wait to go try for some bass in eastern Oklahoma soon ..
Y'all think I can get away with using my trout rod for bass
I use 8 lb line

PowerPro makes the best line in my opinion.... Very rare these days for any competitive angler to use anything other than braid.

If the fish are easily spooked, a 4' fluorocarbon leader will solve that issue.

Just make sure you pack scissors!

i only use fluorocarbon for leader - usually j-line. mono doesn't get as much action. as far as braided line goes, I've used power pro for at least the past 5 years or so but i've read that the newer japanese lines are much higher quality. daiwa and ygk are supposed to be really good. i'll probably try one of those this summer. this is strictly for salt water fishing - mostly for trevally.

Used the 80 degree weather 2 go scouting for freshwater spots. Found a gem of a spot on the Wicimico :pimp:

Gunna come back in a few weeks and hammer some pre spawn

I love fishing 8)

Eem the days i dont catch anything

I want to try fly fishin.

Tried deep sea fishin....caughg sum nice sized fish....but its really boring.

Idk why but for freshwater float and fly seems to work pretty well .. Just hate he long leader

Freshwater Q...

When would mono be your preferred line? Species and conditions?
When I'm fishing bass and using top water lures in clear open water its less visible than braid and Fluro sinks so it doesn't let your top water bait work properly. Or when I'm fishing above grass with crank baits when I wanna just let the bait tick off the grass I use mono. Fluro sinks and it makes your crank bait run deeper and you have to reel faster to tick the grass and then it's to fast. mono lets me fish it at the speed and depth I want and when the bass explode on your lure mono stretches to be like an extra shock absorber on hook sets.

Just picked up a new flipping set up a cabelas flipping tournament zx rod and quantum smoke reel

Back
Top Bottom