The Get Down: Netflix Original

Ok, then Neflix labels their show wrong 
laugh.gif

Sucks they had to split the 1st season in halves. I read they changed showrunners shortly after production began and this kind of threw things off.

I think they may be re-shooting some parts of it to clean it up and make it more focused.
This ^ was something I found out right after I started ep 1 last August.

Ok, then Neflix labels their show wrong :lol:
They really dropped the ball on this one with changing showrunners early on in shooting.

If you look at the IMDB listing it even had a 12th ep for Season 1 and all they ended up churning out was 11.

No telling how much footage was shot that wasn't used but we def got a copy paste version of something that was supposed to be Epic. :frown:

Last edited:
I still don't see how so many people like this show that much. It's terrible and inconsistent.

That Toy Box song is on some 2010s ****. And Ramon Fring slapping everybody got me diene. Almost done with the 4th episode and it feels like meh.

Part 2 was weak and you can tell that something happened while they were shooting. Too many animated scenes which were clearly used to make up certain changes. Creative but for a show as expensive as this, it's kind of pathetic. My favorite parts were the Get Down Brothers rapping routines. Similar to Part 1, the show is a bit corny but I think Part 1 balanced it out a little better. I'm only interested in this show going forward because I want to know what happened to the rest of the crew and Mylene. You know Ezequiel made it but who knows what happened to the others.

I'm givin em a pass on this season due to some behind the scenes stuff that happened, but if it returns for season 2, I expect it to get better. I think the Toybox song was coo but if they didn't consult a disco artist or producer, u can see how they could fudge that. They have early hip hop pioneers working on this or consulting so u see the attention to detail much more than the disco part.

If Mylene and the Sould Madonnas are in fact backup singers for Books then something happened in LA and probably gotta do w/ Mylene and that white girl. "Poppa" blew his brains out, Papa knocked for arson, moving clear across the country and tasted that T.Swift for the first time, what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Thought for sure Mylene and Shaolin were gonna smash after Mylene confronted him about the Yale incident.

Thought for sure Mylene and Shaolin were gonna smash after Mylene confronted him about the Yale incident.
I can't believe she went there to confront him. Also I wonder if they're going to use the same actors for the 80s?

I'm givin em a pass on this season due to some behind the scenes stuff that happened, but if it returns for season 2, I expect it to get better. I think the Toybox song was coo but if they didn't consult a disco artist or producer, u can see how they could fudge that. They have early hip hop pioneers working on this or consulting so u see the attention to detail much more than the disco part.

Yet they still managed to mess it up

The hip hop stuff was fine.
completely disagree. The rhyme scheme in the performance is at least 10 years ahead of the time period they are portraying. Rappers Delight came out in 1979, they are in 1977-1978 rapping with rhyme complexities that clearly sound like it's in the late 80's at the earliest.

True, didn't even pay attention to that. Got flow when dudes like Rakim are usually credited with introducing it.

True, didn't even pay attention to that. Got flow when dudes like Rakim are usually credited with introducing it.
That's just it. Rakim WAS the change. Dudes weren't rapping like him until they heard him. So how are they flowing like that in 1978? It makes no sense. They dropped the ball in that respect. Watch their performance parts with captions on and watch the lyrics. It's out of place.

The Get Down, not surprisingly, is finito.
EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that Netflix  has opted not to proceed with a second season of Baz Luhrmann’s ambitious musical drama  The Get Down. The decision comes after the second six-episode part of Season 1 was released last month. It is a rare Netflix original series not to get a second season.

The hip-hop-themed drama, set in the South Bronx section of New York City in the late 1970s, was among Netflix’s most expensive shows, with the 12-episode first season costing about $120 million.

The Get Down,  which marked Luhrmann’s first TV series, went through a lengthy and difficult pre-production and production process, with showrunner and writer changes. The production delays led to the decision to air the first season in two batches, with the first one debuting last August.

While the first season carried Luhrmann’s creative stamp, with him serving as hands-on showrunner, he had said that his involvement in a potential second season of the Sony TV-produced series would be more limited.

In an interview with Vulture earlier this spring, Luhrmann had indicated that a second season is in the works.  “To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season,” he said. “Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it.”

In a Facebook post following the cancellation, Luhrmann  indicated  that him not being able to commit to Season 2 full-time was a key reason for the cancellation. “This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions… But the simple truth is, I make movies.”
https://deadline.com/2017/05/the-get-down-canceled-netflix-one-season-1202102024/

Meh. After letting the show marinate for awhile, can't say I even care. It started off great and tapered into mediocrity.

I was hoping for the show to bridge the gap between the 70s-80s to the 90s and show where all the main characters ended up. Maybe they can put together a film to give some closure.

Back
Top Bottom