The Get Down: Netflix Original

What do you guys feel like the Cliffhangers were?

I feel like the Series might be over.  

"9 months later 'Rappers Delight, The first Global Hip Hop Record was released"

The above line is on the screen immediately after the Finale ended.

Now, either they are going to jump forward in time a bit, or the Series is done.

I don't feel like you'd want to tell the viewer that if the Series was to continue, you'd want the viewer to experience or learn that as part of the show.

Last edited:
I don't even see 120 mill in this series. Someone squandered the budget.
First thing I thought was "if this cost 120 million, then someone pocketed half that"

I could see Marco Polo costing what it did, but not this.

How?

I don't even see 120 mill in this series. Someone squandered the budget.
First thing I thought was "if this cost 120 million, then someone pocketed half that"

I could see Marco Polo costing what it did, but not this.

How?

maybe all the cgi , recreating the Bronx the way they did ? i couldn't help but notice alot of it was digital, could you imagine how much it would've cost if they really did recreate the Bronx :lol:

Cadillac's wardrobe alone was probably half the budget :lol:

my favorite character on the show btw, his strut was serious :smokin

RaRa was my favorite

But Cadillac was a close second.

Cadillac had me rolling when they were looking for Shaolin in his crib and Shao left the music on and that dude was humming and Cadillac said something like "***** is you really singing right now" and dude was like yada yada and Cadillac said something like "anyone else feeling Melodic?"

Last edited:
Cadillac had me rolling when they were looking for Shaolin in his crib and Shao left the music on and that dude was humming and Cadillac said something like "***** is you really singing right now" and dude was like yada yada and Cadillac said something like "anyone else feeling Melodic?"

:lol:

that and when he was dancing in the beginning talking about John Travolta ain't got **** on him :lol:

Also does anybody feel like Jaden Smith's character is really him? 

dude made me uncomfortable whenever he was on the screen :lol:

he needs to just come out the closet and stop sticking his painted toenails out the door. he was obviously gay in the series, that whole little thing he had with the white kid was really unnecessary. anyone could've figured it out , didn't need to see him as a cartoon alien falling in love. sorry just really find that kid annoying :lol:
Yeah, they really could have got the him figuring it he's gay thing out much earlier and probably could have used him to show more of the gay scene at the time, which is something I didn't realize was as big as it was in the 70s.

I get it, though. They didn't want to go all the way with it, but if you're gonna touch on and imply so much, you may as well give the storyline the proper attention.

Thought the second half was good, felt rushed, though. Things moved a lot faster in the second part than the first. I imagine that has to do with the budgeting issues they had.

Adding the cartoon stuff almost gave it a different tone to me. Wish it would have been something that was included the whole time.

Doubt they do another season. I think his was meant to be a one-off. Not sure where else the story can go either. The tone of hip hop changed a lot after Rapper's Delight dropped.

Last edited:
They might touch on it since dude supposed to be a rapper on stage. That's so out of place though unless son out here like a 50 year old rapper. Didn't really set an 80s or 90s feel.

Yea, period pieces do cost a grip but also heard there were cost overruns.

I wonder who they're gon portray in the upcoming series. They just hit the 80's, they gotta portray the Sugar Hill Gang, Run DMC, etc at least. Misty was a blend of famous artists so I could see them goin that route. They gon have the fat boys? A lot of potential for the series to bring it to current Books rhyming on stage.

They might touch on it since dude supposed to be a rapper on stage. That's so out of place though unless son out here like a 50 year old rapper. Didn't really set an 80s or 90s feel.

that's what kinda of threw me off too. Books look like he's rappin in the 2000s+ which would make him 38+ y/o

The preacher and his brother story was the craziest. I might have missed something, but how did the mom end up marrying the preacher if she was in love with his brother?

Things that I wanted to know: Did Shaolin really go back to working for Fat Anny after all that? I just can't see him doing that. Did Books & Mylene get a chance to be together after their rise to fame in the music industry? Maybe that's suppose to be Mylene & her crew singing in the background when Future Books is rapping during the beginning of each episode. Hell how did Books end up being a rapper if he went to Yale? Just doesn't seem like something a person would do after going to a college like that. What happened to Dizzy & Ra Ra? 

my favorite character on the show btw, his strut was serious :smokin

FOR REAL!!!

He made me wanna strut like that around the house and wifey was all like.... " you ain't cadillac!!" :rofl:

sucks if that was it for the series though, hope they wouldn't end it so suddenly like that, so many questions left unanswered......

On episode 2 right now. I'm officially hate watching this show 
mean.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, I just assumed they were hinting that Mylene and her backups singers were doing the vocals in current day.

The preacher and his brother story was the craziest. I might have missed something, but how did the mom end up marrying the preacher if she was in love with his brother?

Things that I wanted to know: Did Shaolin really go back to working for Fat Anny after all that? I just can't see him doing that. Did Books & Mylene get a chance to be together after their rise to fame in the music industry? Maybe that's suppose to be Mylene & her crew singing in the background when Future Books is rapping during the beginning of each episode. Hell how did Books end up being a rapper if he went to Yale? Just doesn't seem like something a person would do after going to a college like that. What happened to Dizzy & Ra Ra? 

Yea, I think Mylene and the Soul Madonnas are the back up singers for present day Books at least that's how they portrayed it in the 2nd to last or last ep of pt 2.

I wonder what happened to Boo Boo after he got bagged.

Like I said, they can't end it at that because there's so much of the story untold to bring us to present day Books on stage.

I think Mylene go hit LA and get smutted out ****** round w/ that white girl and her fame gon come crashin down. Zeke bein the simp that he is gon hit Cadillac up and ask for clothing advice to purchase the sharpest cape money can buy to save her after the industry is done usin her.

Just finished it & have all the same questions. My only guess the engineer helped Books in some way after letting him record. Also the whole cartoon thing throws the whole second half off for me. Every time it switches it takes me out of the story.

I thought they did the Cartoon scenes in pt1 as well.

It felt awfully familiar when I saw it. 

I didn't mind it at all.

Someone needs to make a gif (or 2, or 3) of Mylene and friends rehearsing for that show with the gay instructor. That spanish chick had me like 

Just finished this show. Yeah...it's trash. Too many inconsistencies for me. They just threw a whole bunch of **** together and hope it worked. It didn't. They failed imo. It could have been something special though.

The whole time I'm looking at Boo Boo and thinking he looks like this....

Last edited:
Am I the only one that likes the song at the beginning of Gamble Everything? I believe Nas needs to release the songs he raps for The Get Down.

Back
Top Bottom