The Internet is Saved - The FCC has ruled in favor of Net Neutrality

During McCullough BS he mentioned social Media playing a role in the Mike Brown saga.... I Guarantee he's a supporter of this bill.

Please, they allowed these tellecoms to have a monopoly in a lot of metro areas like NYC where TWC and Comcast held exclusive rights. Not until Fios was approved in 2009-2010 to lay down lines have they finally budged on pricing, yet they used the same lines before that they layed down in the 90s.

If they allow throttling slowed speeds to certain content then it's just a lose lose for the consumer.

The Vote is going down February 26th.... This isn't a major story... This effects people of ALL walks of life and could largely compromise the sharing of info, alternate views, etc etc. this bill HAS TO BE STOPPED

So what is this again? Did anything change?

Tom Wheeler will reclassify ISPs as Common Carriers under Title II http://t.co/04PhZpfk1V

Basically what this means is that ISPs won't be allowed to prevent you from accessing certain content on the web, throttle your connection, or force you to to pay more to access said content.

This also means that ISPs can charge you based on what you use. At least, as of now. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. With more competition in a regulated market, prices may actually fall.

Along with the announcement, Wheeler said that he wants to modernize Title II of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 as well.. So there will likely be changes that we have yet to see.

Yup. What do I do

http://www.savetheinternet.com/what-can-i-do

Pick Up the Phone
Call the FCC
Call the FCC commissioners and demand REAL Net Neutrality.

Call Congress
The cable and phone companies are pressuring Congress to destroy Net Neutrality. We have to push back.

Use Your Words
A Letter to the Editor
Get tips on how to craft a letter about Net Neutrality to the editor of your local paper. Policymakers and their staff read these letters to get a sense of what their constituents care about. These letters also sway editorial boards and journalists and help raise awareness in the community.

Write to Your Member of Congress
Want to send a personal note to your member of Congress? Email us and we’ll send you some samples to work from.

Meet With Your Member of Congress
Get Started
Check out our FAQs to get the ball rolling.

Meeting-Request Letter
Urge your members of Congress to support FCC efforts to pass and enforce strong Net Neutrality rules.

Lobbying Tips
This handy guide gives you helpful strategies on how to have a successful meeting with your elected officials.

Learn More
Net Neutrality Primer
Get the details on the current state of Net Neutrality.

Speak Out
Take Action
To save the Internet over the long term, we need to speak out about everything from corporate-government collusion to invasions of our online privacy.

Marc Cuban has been so on point with this.

"If all bits are bits, then all bits are equal."
I just read an article on his thinking on Net Neutrality. Not quite sure what he means by this though. Can you explain in layman's terms for my feeble little mind?:lol:

EDIT: Just read the whole quote. Pretty on point.

Cuban began by predicting “the courts will rule the Internet for the next however many years.” He then explained, “let’s just take it all the way through its logical conclusion. All bits are bits, all bits are equal. If all bits are equal, then let’s look at what a stream bit is an example. So when Henry and I do an interview, and it’s streamed lived on the Internet, there’s a camera, it goes through an encoder, it sends it out via server or some manner to the Internet, you click on Business Insider and you watch the stream, right? Now, let’s look at CNBC on Comcast. There’s cameras right in front of you, they go through a switcher, they go through an encoder, it’s put through a server, it goes to Comcast, and it’s streamed in a managed service environment to television. It’s the exact same thing. And if it’s the exact same thing technologically and all bits are equal, then why shouldn’t CNBC and all TV networks that are delivered on cable, and Telco, and fiber like Verizon, why shouldn’t they be part of the open Internet as well? And if they are and all bits are equal, now, let’s take it one step further. It’s the purview of the FCC now. The FCC, right? So, the FCC now has to apply their same standards to content, don’t they, that they do to television content because that’s where it is and there’s going to be certain citizens who think ‘well now, since all content is delivered over the Internet because all bits are bits, and it’s a fair, and open, and equal Internet — decency standards.’ And remember the FCC is the same agency that fought Nipplegate for eight years over a wardrobe malfunction.”

He added, “your TV as you know it is over.”

Last edited:
so net neutrality is a good thing? :lol: i dont understand any of this stuff but as long as the internet stays the way it is awesome. greatest resource in the history of humanity.

i saw the news flash, but dont get it. does it mean they wont censor stuff like china blocks FB?

Network neutrality is the idea that your cellular, cable, or phone internet connection should treat all websites and services the same. Big companies like AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast want to treat them differently so they can charge you more depending on what you use.

so net neutrality is a good thing? :lol: i dont understand any of this stuff but as long as the internet stays the way it is awesome. greatest resource in the history of humanity.

It works like this.

ISPs are going to charge rates to websites based on a set of government standards. So big corporations will be able to pick winners and losers (bigger websites vs. smaller websites) by their ability to pay higher rates.

Back
Top Bottom