The Internet is Saved - The FCC has ruled in favor of Net Neutrality

And I'm in favor of cellphone companies competing with the cable companies like time warner and Comcast to deliver internet data. LTE is faster than cable anyway This will lead to price cuts due to competition
nah, bruh...

Mobile Internet =\= land internet

LTE functions off the amount of people on the network...

If mobile Internet tried to replace broadband, it would slow to a halt.

What needs to happen from a consumer and innovation standpoint is reducing the hurdles to become an internet provider...

T this would drive the most competition.

Slight regulation and incentivize people to join the ranks would be best

I never called HBOGO an ISP, but it looks like Comcast stopped blocking it finally

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...bo-go-and-showtime-on-roku-streaming-devices/

What's ISPs really want to do is put caps, like cellphone companies

You were saying hbogo is blocked on roku smart TVs... But if Comcast was blocking it, it wouldn't matter what TV, right?

And they already have caps... You rarely see most people even come close...

Just like with mobile data... 95% of people are under 5 GB used per month...

So basically, its cable companies trying to avoid the inevitable......being knocked out of the box by internet?

Not necessarily

Cable companies and internet companies go hand in hand..

And some cable companies are starting to switch over to "broadband based" TV, or IPTV, like Verizon and FIOS...

So... Raising internet price only helps both segments.

Also, TV in itself is dying.. Its all about live rights...

If live rights were able to deliver some type of a LA carte situation, then the cable branches of companies would get shut down. Haha.

Because in the cable bill, you're only paying for the 2 or 4 channels you watch.

People are saying shame on all the big bad ISP but I'm telling y'all its not all their fault...

Netflix is skating by on updating their servers because when something buffers, you dont say "damb their servers!"

You say "damb my internet"

this is really about Netflix, bruh... which accounts for 25% of internet traffic during peak hours.

And hbogo isn't an ISP.. I dont get what your saying...

Why would an internet provider stop you from using their service?

They WANT you to use as much as you can so they can charge more

I never called HBOGO an ISP, but it looks like Comcast stopped blocking it finally

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...bo-go-and-showtime-on-roku-streaming-devices/

What's ISPs really want to do is put caps, like cellphone companies
Has anyone gotten hbo go to work on their PS3/4 yet :nerd:

Last edited:
nah, bruh...

Mobile Internet =\= land internet

LTE functions off the amount of people on the network...

If mobile Internet tried to replace broadband, it would slow to a halt.

What needs to happen from a consumer and innovation standpoint is reducing the hurdles to become an internet provider...

T this would drive the most competition.

Slight regulation and incentivize people to join the ranks would be best

Problem is that cable internet works similar to the way mobile does and it is the reason why cable internet slows down for most during peak ours

On the 2nd point that I bolded, that is so true. Too many municipalities gave cable companies a monopoly. When they finally allowed Fios to lay down lines to compete with Comcast and Time Warner their prices instantly dropped. You can also haggle with the providers and threaten them that you're leaving and they'll give you a deep discount. Competition is good, yet in our current system there was almost 0. Google Fiber needs lay down their lines quicker so these ISPs either upgrade to compete or they can fold. In our current system we didn't have any of this free market that we love to endorse.

Its funny you're blaming Netflix for not upgrading but cable and telecom companies were given tax payer money to upgrade their networks but have yet to upgrade. Still selling internet packages that rarely hit the speeds they advertise. Other countries have really fast speeds at much lower prices.

Do you have any source on that under 5gigs? That seems awfully low for a household.

This isn't the end of streaming troubles for Comcast subscribers. In a story titled, "HBO Go Comes to Amazon Fire TV (Unless You Have Comcast)," DSLReports wrote today, "HBO Go this week announced that the streaming service has been made available to Amazon Fire TV owners today, with Fire Stick customers having access to the app sometime in the Spring. Of course if you head to activate your device, you'll find that Comcast and Charter aren't supported. Why the companies are blocking a relatively uncomplicated app and authentication service isn't clear. Amazon says that negotiations are ongoing."

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is that cable internet works similar to the way mobile does and it is the reason why cable internet slows down for most during peak ours

On the 2nd point that I bolded, that is so true. Too many municipalities gave cable companies a monopoly. When they finally allowed Fios to lay down lines to compete with Comcast and Time Warner their prices instantly dropped. You can also haggle with the providers and threaten them that you're leaving and they'll give you a deep discount. Competition is good, yet in our current system there was almost 0. Google Fiber needs lay down their lines quicker so these ISPs either upgrade to compete or they can fold. In our current system we didn't have any of this free market that we love to endorse.
to the first point, that's why fiber providers are so pissed.

:lol:

Fttp (fiber to the prim, internet that is straight to your curb) is costly, and people have been investing tons of cash in it...

Now, they are trying to say its their fault the internet is slow, and that's not true.

Do you think the cable companies were slowing down the Netflix packets?

Its funny you're blaming Netflix for not upgrading but cable and telecom companies were given tax payer money to upgrade their networks but have yet to upgrade. Still selling internet packages that rarely hit the speeds they advertise. Other countries have really fast speeds at much lower prices.

Do you have any source on that under 5gigs? That seems awfully low for a household.
I was referring to mobile broadband

And broadband companies have average household speeds of 18 Mbps...

Like... What can yiu NOT do with 18 Mbps? :lol:

Its going up to 50...

I'm not giving the cable companies a pass... I'm just explaining both sides.

to the first point, that's why fiber providers are so pissed.

:lol:

Fttp (fiber to the prim, internet that is straight to your curb) is costly, and people have been investing tons of cash in it...

Now, they are trying to say its their fault the internet is slow, and that's not true.

Do you think the cable companies were slowing down the Netflix packets?

I thought there was a claim that one of the providers (Comcast or Verizon) did slow Netflix's packets? I don't know whether it was proven or not but netflix did agree to pay for the fast-lane afterwards.

And it's fine that they are investing the cash, our infrastructure is outdated. In order to charge a premium like they do for service, they should invest. Not take 50% profit margins to the back. This 50% PM is post CAPEX. No industry has PM of that size.

I understand your side more than you think I do. I'm not your avg NTer.

I understand, but I feel like this ruling was a good thing for the "little man". Prices increases will always be passed down.

I thought there was a claim that one of the providers (Comcast or Verizon) did slow Netflix's packets? I don't know whether it was proven or not but netflix did agree to pay for the fast-lane afterwards.

And it's fine that they are investing the cash, our infrastructure is outdated. In order to charge a premium like they do for service, they should invest. Not take 50% profit margins to the back. This 50% PM is post CAPEX. No industry has PM of that size.

I understand your side more than you think I do. I'm not your avg NTer.

I'm not doubting your expertise, famb.

The reason why I asked was because they BEEN paying for the faster lane... Which is something that has been going on for quite some time.

And fiber companies are NOT collecting 50% on margin :lol:. I can promise you that.

I think the one that's caught on the middle is the fiber companies.

They're they ones that have a legitimate gripe.

This should have been handled like the phone industry (bell telephone monopoly)

That + introduction of cell phone technology completely broke the barrier. Remember how much minutes and long distance used to be?

I'm not doubting your expertise, famb.

The reason why I asked was because they BEEN paying for the faster lane... Which is something that has been going on for quite some time.

And fiber companies are NOT collecting 50% on margin :lol:. I can promise you that.

I think the one that's caught on the middle is the fiber companies.

They're they ones that have a legitimate gripe.

This should have been handled like the phone industry (bell telephone monopoly)

That + introduction of cell phone technology completely broke the barrier. Remember how much minutes and long distance used to be?

Oh yea that was crazy. Long distance is still expensive internationally for no damned reason in some areas or to the low information consumer. :smh:

The Fiber companies will make their profits and some. It'll take them longer but they'll be fine.

I don't feel sorry a single bit for the ISPs

They have done so much scumbag **** it is not even funny.

The system was rigged in their favor, no it is not. Next step is passing infrastructure bill giving municipalities money to build out fiber networks. That will kill some of the "well you internet gonna go up anyway" talk

I live in MD with one ISP, and two when Fios came in. Prices dropped, service improved, got better bundles and better customer service. It would be glorious if everyone had 2-4 choices when it came to internet

The Obeezy played Wheeler was :smokin doe.

Last edited:
Politicians finally got it right for once in their life

Last edited:
i only understood bandwidth n speed. never understood it at that level. are they saying companies with more money are buying their speed?

is that why advertised rates is false? unlimited 4G aint really 4G speed right?

i looked at the wikipedia stuff, but dont really get it.

any techs here can do a khan acadmey edition!

Back
Top Bottom