The NBA Draft Thread

I mean I just assume you guys aren't familiar with the Celts cap situation. They are going to bring in one of the best guard prospects of the last 20+ years in the draft, and then could be bringing in Gordon Hayward in free agency.

I mean I just assume you guys aren't familiar with the Celts cap situation. They are going to bring in one of the best guard prospects of the last 20+ years in the draft, and then could be bringing in Gordon Hayward in free agency.
Cross that bridge when you come to it, they can bring Gordon in and go over the cap to resign Avery. Just gotta pony up that money and pay the tax. Don't pull an OKC. 

Cross that bridge when you come to it, they can bring Gordon in and go over the cap to resign Avery. Just gotta pony up that money and pay the tax. Don't pull an OKC. 
Team didn't miss a beat when Bradley was out during the regular season. This situation isn't remotely close to OKC. Avery is a very nice player, but he isn't going to be a top 3 player of any championship contender unless the other 2 players are LeBron and Durant or something like that. He literally cannot create any offense and doesn't have the defensive versatility that you would truly want because of how small he is. That kind of player should not be taking up 20% of your cap space, while also taking playing time away from your stud rookie.

Team didn't miss a beat when Bradley was out during the regular season. This situation isn't remotely close to OKC. Avery is a very nice player, but he isn't going to be a top 3 player of any championship contender unless the other 2 players are LeBron and Durant or something like that. He literally cannot create any offense and doesn't have the defensive versatility that you would truly want because of how small he is. That kind of player should not be taking up 20% of your cap space, while also taking playing time away from your stud rookie.
You can't replace what he does though especially if you commit to IT2 long term. He still has value if Fultz takes a little longer to develop and he's perfect next to IT2 given the defensive liability he is. You literally can replace Marcus Smaht, Amir, Kelly, etc with minimum level guys. 

But he's such a valuable piece regardless. Celtics didn't miss a beat because they had Marcus Smart and other guards who, luckily for them, are pretty damn good themselves. Don't take value away from his skills just because of the good depth behind him. He can create offense. He's not asked to at all. I don't agree with giving up 20% of your cap for him but it's going to happen regardless. Using percentages doesn't sway away from the fact everybody is gonna get paid, including Bradley.

I would be willing to let go of everybody besides IT, Bradley and Horford. Rozier resembles NOTHING of Bradley. They let Bradley go and a backcourt of rookie Fultz and IT is getting ate alive on defense next year. Celtics gonna overvalue all these role players like Crowder, Smart, Jaylen Brown, Rozier, Amir Johnson, Olynuk, etc and miss out on their chance to put a package together to actually compete against the Cavs.

You can't replace what he does though especially if you commit to IT2 long term. He still has value if Fultz takes a little longer to develop and he's perfect next to IT2 given the defensive liability he is. You literally can replace Marcus Smaht, Amir, Kelly, etc with minimum level guys. 
Amir and Kelly are long gone. We are renouncing everyone in order to go for Hayward. Pretty much every Celtic fan would tell you that Smart is a better (and more versatile) defender than Bradley, and the offense from Fultz and Hayward will easily make up for (and surpass) whatever Bradley was bringing to the table.

Yea I agree. I like Bradley alot, but a mix of Rozier/Smart/Fultz is good enough that he wont be missed.

Whether or not they keep Bradley doesnt matter. He doesn't move the needle much. I wonder what they're gonna do if they dont get a Butler, Hayward, PG, Melo.

I would be willing to let go of everybody besides IT, Bradley and Horford. Rozier resembles NOTHING of Bradley. They let Bradley go and a backcourt of rookie Fultz and IT is getting ate alive on defense next year. Celtics gonna overvalue all these role players like Crowder, Smart, Jaylen Brown, Rozier, Amir Johnson, Olynuk, etc and miss out on their chance to put a package together to actually compete against the Cavs.
Rozier literally has almost identical numbers to Bradley at the same age. He's a good defender, good athlete and is a significantly better scorer off the dribble than Bradley. This is pretty much universally agreed upon by Celtics fans. IT and Smart would likely start in the backcourt with Fultz off the bench until either Fultz or Brown are ready to hop into the starting lineup. Lots of small ball will be played regardless though.

Yea I agree. I like Bradley alot, but a mix of Rozier/Smart/Fultz is good enough that he wont be missed.

Whether or not they keep Bradley doesnt matter. He doesn't move the needle much. I wonder what they're gonna do if they dont get a Butler, Hayward, PG, Melo.
I think they'll start to lean more towards the future build if they don't get Hayward in free agency. However, I would not be against going for Melo. It wouldn't cost us much, other than paying his salary. He'd be a good stopgap for the next couple years and wouldn't cost any of our high level young guys. Doesn't make sense to give up good young assets and other rotation guys to go at Butler/PG just so LeBron and Co. can kill us again.

You 110% do not want Marcus Smart as your starting shooting guard. That man had double digit points in ONE game the entire playoffs besides that 27 point game against the Cavs.

They gotta go full rebuild mode if they dont land any of the above guys. Not a bad thing at all seeing how they have top picks in consecutive drafts.

Last edited:
You 110% do not want Marcus Smart as your starting shooting guard. That man had double digit points in ONE game the entire playoffs besides that 27 point game against the Cavs.
He already plays 30MPG. Even if we started him, he wouldn't be averaging any more time than that whatsoever. Honestly they could easily slot Jaylen in that spot as well.

Smart starting at the 2 doesn't sound like a good idea. I feel like the crowd and team feed off his energy and his bench role is perfect. I'm sure Fultz will be a very good NBA player but let the guy play and prove himself in the NBA and the C's before you up and dump everybody :lol:

@colezwicker: Charted NBA 3 makes (above the break 24-30 feet) for lead guards in this class (with two scheme-changers for context) *Per Synergy

DBHwAZUUAAApCLE.jpg:large

Last edited:
They definitely are not trading 6 and Lavine who was scoring 20+ PPG before he got hurt just for 3. Isaac fits like a glove for what that team needs at the 4.
Definitely not, because the Wolves don't have the 6th pick. 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
What is the reason to keep IT on Boston? Will they contend for a championship with him as the volume shooter?

What is the reason to keep IT on Boston? Will they contend for a championship with him as the volume shooter?
Well they got to the conference finals with no rim protector

It's not like there's an abundance of other options to get them to a title

With a few breaks their way who knows in a few years

Fultz may really be the franchise player he's been hyped to be.. they may find that rim protector.. of course they'll lose some players to free agency but overall they're in a great place

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom