THE OFFICIAL 2023 DALLAS COWBOYS OFF-SEASON THREAD || Cowboys Gonna Cowboy

This is who we drafted...

And what I think it means.

1. Brandon Carr is going to take that pay cut. He either takes it or he's getting cut, and will lose a bunch more money. Byron Jones gives us a bunch of leverage over him.
2. With Carr's paycut or release, the Cowboys will go bargain shopping for Defensive Line... (C.J. Mosley is a good idea)
3. We go Running Back second round. I'm calling Tevin Coleman. Abdullah is higher ranked, he'll probably be gone in the 1st 10 picks of the second round. Coleman is compared to DeMarco Murray. Likely have to move up a bit to get him.
4. There will be a lot of decent Defensive Lineman available if we don't go Running Back. But we'll be in deep trouble trying to go Running Back in Round 3. Would need to get extremely lucky.

Byron Jones & Tevin Coleman would be :wow:

6 Teams got a A- grade or better from CBS Sports in the 1st Round. We were one of them.

Last edited:
Byron Jones was drafted. And I called it this morning. Mel Kiper should be paying me his salary.

You did call it, and if we draft Tevin Coleman next then I'm just goin to assume you're in the dang war room with Jerry and Stephen.

Also like yous aid Tevin Coleman would another awesome pick.

I'm actually happy with the pick, especially with what players were left on the board. Byron Jones has a lot of upside. Hopefully this CB works out for us.
Outside of Scandrick we've always sucked at drafting and signing great corners.

Would you give up 60 for brockers? I'd like Coleman but I think he goes in the first 10 picks tomorrow

Teams that could use a running back just off the top of my head

Jets
Jags
Raiders
Skins
Falcons
Dolphins
49ers
Lions
Cards
Texas
Browns

All of these teams either have nobody or have one NFL worthy player or their star is aging granted some of these have bigger needs but it's a possibility when the value becomes to great to let Coleman pass

ecruteakcityboy ecruteakcityboy if he's there I'd take him (will be gone i think) but I like brockers more if you can get a deal done where hes not a rental

Last edited:
Yeah I've been calling Coleman for a few days.

I'd rather them use this year's 2nd and a pick or two from next year as opposed to giving up more from this year.

Cowboys Byron Jones Draft Grades 2015

Doug Farrar, SI.com
A

Jones scored very high in all athletic tests, and that shows up on the field, where Jones appears to be moving in a higher gear than most of his teammates and opponents. He could stand to be a bit more smooth in his backpedal, but he's a good tackler and a fine overall pass defender for a team in desperate need. This is a great get this late in the draft.

Long Ball, Drafttek
A-

I have taken a look at the "guest list" of prospects invited to Valley Ranch, not an absolute but normally a good indicator, and have narrowed my focus. I don't believe the Cowboys will invest a 1st-round pick on a RB (unless Gurley falls), the top pass-rushers are gone and CB still appears to be the best value at 27. I shifted gears this week to the athletic Huskie, whose Combine numbers jump off the page and match his production.

Pete Prisco, CBSSports
A-

The Cowboys never thought this kid would be here. They have a major need at corner, and they land one at No. 27. He's much more than just an athlete.

Mike Tanier, Bleacher Report
A-

The Cowboys get a cornerback with untapped athletic potential in Jones; in the short term, they get a defender who is heady enough to contribute immediately as a nickel-slot cornerback. A fine selection.

Dan Kadar, SB Nation
A-

Morris Claiborne has been a bust for the Cowboys and Brandon Carr has disappointed as well. Jones is a physical outside corner with freaky athleticism. He was productive at Connecticut and should develop into a top-flight player for the Cowboys.

Bryan Fisher, NFL.com:
A-

The star of the NFL Scouting Combine jumped from under-the-radar prospect to first-round pick after testing well and showing scouts he could cover better than everyone thought. Jones fills a huge need on the Cowboys' defense, and his versatility will allow him to play a number of spots in the secondary.

Walter Football
B+

So much for the Cowboys picking Randy Gregory. Byron Jones makes a ton of sense. I had him going 20th overall to the Eagles, which I thought was a slight reach, so the 27th slot seems like the right area for him. He also fills a big need. Morris Claiborne has struggled, while Brandon Carr is overpaid. The Cowboys were desperate for corner help, and they landed an extremely athletic player as a probable upgrade.

Beat all the other NFC East teams by far.

Current Depth Chart. I don't think they have him play ahead of Carr to start, if he shows out, possible. Or if Carr gets cut. The Cowboys could also move him to Free Safety, but considering the struggles of our DB's, he'll be a DB. Slid him right in front of Mo. If we could get Carr to take that paycut, we have a really deep team at DB.

I'd trade way up for Tevin Coleman get him done and in the fold. Must spare the 3rd round pick this year though.
Then in the 3rd round you get BPA between End, Tackle & Weakside LB. They apparently love DE Frank Clark.

I like Tevin Coleman or Ameer Abdullah. I've been saying Tevin, but if he's not there, must get Ameer.
Then Gabe Wright in the 3rd. But would be fine with Clark.

Isn't a pick today, but I think Tyeler Davidson, DT tomorrow in the 4th would be a huge steal.

Last edited:
At pick 48. Teams left who need RBs....

Dolphins - Need a Running Back, but a WR & RB in 1 & 2? Could see them going DB.
Lions - Should probably go Defensive Line.They lost pretty much everybody.
Cards - They likely go RB.

Hopefully it goes like that.

Damn Coleman was there too :frown:

But I mean Gregory could have gone 25 or to us at 27.

I'd trade the whole damn rest of the draft to get Coleman in the first 3 picks of Round 3.

Just couldn't pass on Gregory..

Was ranked 9th by NFL.com, 15th by CBS.

We got him at 60.

Again, I'd trade 3, 4, 5 to move up to get Tevin Campbell

Updated:

*Changes

1. Gregory moved to 3rd DE. Will start Day 1 with Greg Hardy suspension. A week ago Schefter said his sources say it will probably be reduced to 2-6 games.
2. With Hardy - Lawrence - Gregory in tow. Makes DT a Right Player / Steal pick in the 4th or 5th. But T. Crawford, Hayden, Jack Crawford is passable.

MUST GO RUNNING BACK, AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. PLEASE MOVE UP.

Last edited:
Collins for swing tackle in the 4th?
Competes with Free for RT.

Last edited:
Was at an A- after 2.

Now it's way lower than that. They needed a RB, and let 2 guys go by not trading up. And now stuck with Jay Ajayi who will likely fall apart in a couple years. If he even gives you a productive year.

Back
Top Bottom