The Official Jordan XXXI Thread

Ok so I ran in these again, the flywire on the right shoe seems to be cutting into my pinky toe. I tried readjusting it, unlacing the laces etc, still have the issue. What are my options? Anyone else feeling discomfort?

Which shoe reviewers are you talking about?

THe only reviews I've seen are the Kicks Genius, Wear Testers (two reviews) and Sole Brothers. I sort of take the KG the most serious since there's footage of them playing games. The one wear tester dude, I like opinions on tech or materials.

So you're saying i can't break ankles in these ?   
You can, but based on what has been reviewed........you might also be breaking your own ankles and/or knees in the process if you do it too much.

Proceed with caution is what most of the reviewers are saying when it comes to the traction of these 31s when you make lateral movements.

KicksGenius's review on these shoes pretty much demonstrate the "slippage" you experience when you make a sharp cut with these shoes when they mentioned their traction.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've been only able to play outdoors. I stopped my gym membership because it was $50 a month and I wasn't widdit because of how crowded it was with the courts. Usually only got like 2-3 games in an hour sometimes I can't even play because my YMCA likes to have kid days where they play soccer in doors
mad.gif
. Anyways, I use my kobe 9s for outdoors and my soles are still pretty decent. My game is based of carmelo's style so it's a lot of iso bullyball at the high post and at the wing. I guess I don't make those big cuts like kickgenius and other small youtube reviewers to consistently have to worry about traction? I think I'll be ok in that aspect but after seeing reviews I'm a little worried about stability portion of the shoe since I'm more prone to twisting my ankle since I'm constantly finding myself in the paint.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I've been only able to play outdoors. I stopped my gym membership because it was $50 a month and I wasn't widdit because of how crowded it was with the courts. Usually only got like 2-3 games in an hour sometimes I can't even play because my YMCA likes to have kid days where they play soccer in doors
mad.gif
. Anyways, I use my kobe 9s for outdoors and my soles are still pretty decent. My game is based of carmelo's style so it's a lot of iso bullyball at the high post and at the wing. I guess I don't make those big cuts like kickgenius and other small youtube reviewers to consistently have to worry about traction? I think I'll be ok in that aspect but after seeing reviews I'm a little worried about stability portion of the shoe since I'm more prone to twisting my ankle since I'm constantly finding myself in the paint.
The reviewers said the "inconsistent traction" is only an issue on indoor courts that are poorly maintained (aka dusty), the typical blacktop ball court is not an issue to traction apparently (not shocked, since it is gravel after all on the blacktop).

Last edited:
How is your game?  Not trying to make a joke out of it or anything, but I know a lot of the shoe reviewers on YouTube that reviewed these 31s...........these are guys that make a lot of cuts, ankle breaker crossovers, and any other sharp lateral movements on the court in order to get a full feel of the shoes they wear.

If you are just a guy that runs north to south, spots up for an open jumper, and just grabs rebounds, then I don't think you'll fully understand if the traction on the shoes are great or not.

Once again, not trying to make assumptions on your actual b-ball game........just wanted to see why you feel the traction is great on the court in comparison with your actual b-ball game while in contrast with other YouTube reviewers that dislike the traction and are primarily guys that make a lot of lateral movements on the court.

No, no offense taken bro, I am sorry I was not more clear in my statement approving of the traction of the 31's. I should have been more clear to give you something to compare to, so you could relate or not relate to my opinion on the shoe.

I am 5'7", 155 lbs, fairly athletic. I'm an old man now (on Niketalk at least) at 34 years old, been playing basketball as long as I can remember, still play at least twice a week, family obligations and career permitting and have been doing so for years. Played organized ball in my younger days (nothing serious, rec leagues, summer leagues, and adult leagues sporadically as life became life).

Anyway, I usually look at the usual suspects for their reviews (Kickgenius, weartesters, Foamer, and so on).

I feel that I can related more to the kickgenius guys and Nightwing, as they are closer in size to me than say Foamer (athletically I would say I am more in line with the previous, but don't have as much bounce. However I still like to hear what Foamer and other reviewers have to say and take it all with a grain of salt).

Don't want to compare myself to any of those guys, but my game is very active, alot of lateral movements both on defense and offense. Again no problems with the traction, but I keep the shoes clean, don't wear them casually or outdoors, and play on a fairly well maintained college court and local high school gyms that are also kept pretty nice. But those courts can get pretty dusty on busy days, but still no traction issues.

Fair enough, I think the whole opinion on the traction seems to be more on the inconsistent side.........but some people like yourself have managed to deal with it well considering your circumstances.  If you always play in a court that is well-maintained in clean, then you are barely affected.

I'm personally gonna buy the 31s just for the casual look the shoe gives itself, but I've been trying to see if they were worth the on-court use myself.  It is a 50/50 in terms of usage on an indoor court, but I have heard zero complaints about usage on the outdoor blacktops.........which I could see myself rocking outdoors.

Last edited:
^^^ I have been seeing it on my Instagram feed that the black/white ones are supposed to be coming out. I thought it was next year though. Maybe they a re coming sooner rather than later.

Well then I guess more 1s on the plate for us :smokin :smokin :smokin

UNDS my '14 pair a month back and haven't worn them since

Fair enough, I think the whole opinion on the traction seems to be more on the inconsistent side.........but some people like yourself have managed to deal with it well considering your circumstances.  If you always play in a court that is well-maintained in clean, then you are barely affected.

I'm personally gonna buy the 31s just for the casual look the shoe gives itself, but I've been trying to see if they were worth the on-court use myself.  It is a 50/50 in terms of usage on an indoor court, but I have heard zero complaints about usage on the outdoor blacktops.........which I could see myself rocking outdoors.

Me, I'm not one of those explosive athletes who can do killer cross overs or a dunking.
Am 5'9 and 37 now.
But i can still judge on the 31s as i played over 20 years basketball including from AJ 1 - 21, 2010 - xx9 and the xxx1.
Traction is on par with the xx9 imo, which is among the best I tested on indoor and outdoor court.
Concerning dusty indoor courts there are not many shoes that provide you a really good traction afterall.
When wearing my aj6 or 11 i even slipped around during a normal side step.
Dusty indoor courts simply suck.
As a metaphor: not ruin your Ferrari going off-road?

- that picture is confusing.
- if the white black 1 retro id be surprised. 2 years is a short time, even for jordan brand.
- i think im hyping myself up for these 31 . after trying them on , theyre too comfortable

Had you not posted this I wouldn't have even looked at my pair.

My left shoe is slightly off. I feel like it's more to do with the midsole than the zoom bag though? Kinda bothers me now that I know its there.

My friend's pair is slightly off too, but mine is just straight up terrible. The inside zoom unit/sole is at 45 degrees. It looks so off and when you put it on it feels lopsided.

As much as I'm trying to avoid buying the Fine Prints, if they send me that 'Reserved for You' email, I'm pretty sure I'm going to cop.

The "Fine Print" joints are so fire, but I just got the Banneds and I'm not sure I need to double up on the silhouette.

Was thinking of maybe getting the Nylon 12s...but I already have The Masters. Ugh. Sneakers.

The "Fine Print" joints are so fire, but I just got the Banneds and I'm not sure I need to double up on the silhouette.

Was thinking of maybe getting the Nylon 12s...but I already have The Masters. Ugh. Sneakers.
Well at least these are a different color way than the Banneds. Nylons and Masters are almost the same color way. And these are $5 cheaper.

Another negative YouTube review. This time from Foamer Simpson.

His negatives were the traction (major issue), the ankle area cutting and breathability.

Back
Top Bottom