The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

One that can support your camera and stay upright. [emoji]128077[/emoji] Nah there are so many brands out there but you can't go wrong with manfrotto. they can get spendy though. Check out B&H or Adorama and see what they have to offer.

Manfrotto is overpriced and I've heard nightmares about their heads...I just recently invested in a MeFOTO Globetrotter the CF version, I LOVE IT! It's a sister company of Benro which is a great brand, check out the MeFOTO site, pretty nice tripods and they also come in a bunch of colors :pimp:

You should invest in a tripod and neutral density filter (if you haven't already) so that you can get pictures like this http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=waterfall only if you want.
I have a cheap tripod already, but I don't think I'll ever be carrying it around enough to warrant upgrading. As for the ND filter, does it have any other uses aside from shooting water(falls)? Any suggestions on what brand of filters to buy?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a cheap tripod already, but I don't think I'll ever be carrying it around enough to warrant upgrading. As for the ND filter, does it have any other uses aside from shooting water(falls)? Any suggestions on what brand of filters to buy?

Thanks.

It helps you to either take a longer exposure shot or wider aperture shot. I recent bought a B+W ND filter for portraits. I shoot outdoors and prefer wider apertures so it helps me cut down the light so that my shutter speed is slower when I use flash and gets me a wider aperture.

It helps you to either take a longer exposure shot or wider aperture shot. I recent bought a B+W ND filter for portraits. I shoot outdoors and prefer wider apertures so it helps me cut down the light so that my shutter speed is slower when I use flash and gets me a wider aperture.
Hm, I did notice myself bumping up the shutter speed while I was shooting wide open. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for your input.

Nightclub work

Oh, so thats what a ND filter does. I never really looked into it. I have a filter set (UV, polarizer, ND) and have never touched the ND filter cause I have no idea what it did and never got around to looking it up., also its a pain to change filters.

Good info.

Aren't you defeating the purpose of your nd filter by lowering your shutter?

Depends on the strength of your ND filter and what you are using it for. When I said that i lower my shutter speed it is because I am also using flash. My camera sync speed is 1/200, but with the wireless triggers I can only go to 1/160. Usually outdoors you have a faster shutter speed. Once I'm at 1/160 then I want a wider aperture and that is where the ND filter comes into play for me by bringing down my exposure by how many stops it does. Then you have a situation like the water shot posted... Put the ND filter on and you decrease your shutter speed to get the smooth flow of water milky look instead of the water frozen in place.

Depends on the strength of your ND filter and what you are using it for. When I said that i lower my shutter speed it is because I am also using flash. My camera sync speed is 1/200, but with the wireless triggers I can only go to 1/160. Usually outdoors you have a faster shutter speed. Once I'm at 1/160 then I want a wider aperture and that is where the ND filter comes into play for me by bringing down my exposure by how many stops it does. Then you have a situation like the water shot posted... Put the ND filter on and you decrease your shutter speed to get the smooth flow of water milky look instead of the water frozen in place.

I see, I understand the milky water effect. Just didn't know why you needed to lower your shutter taking outdoor portraits.

For someone just getting into flash photography I suggest looking into the Yongnuo flashes. Low cost and gets the job done.

Man I'm tired of shooting in black and white. Snow isn't helping matters at all.

Last edited:
I got my Tamron 28-75 lens in the mail the other day and it's super heavy
sick.gif
. Definitely too heavy for my cheap tripod
laugh.gif

I got my Tamron 28-75 lens in the mail the other day and it's super heavy :x . Definitely too heavy for my cheap tripod :lol:

I rented the 85mm 1.2 this weekend and as much as I like it, that thing is just way to heavy. I had a bag too with my other 24mm and after walking for like 4 miles in SF, it just puts strain on your shoulder after a while. Kind of something you don't think about til you have it.

I rented the 85mm 1.2 this weekend and as much as I like it, that thing is just way to heavy. I had a bag too with my other 24mm and after walking for like 4 miles in SF, it just puts strain on your shoulder after a while. Kind of something you don't think about til you have it.

I hear that about weight. I use to own a 24-70. That thing was a tank. Now I have a Fuji x100s. Much nicer on the shoulder. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Thanks.

I see, I understand the milky water effect. Just didn't know why you needed to lower your shutter taking outdoor portraits.

There are different strengths of ND filters. You can have a 1/3rd stop, 1 stop, 2 stop, 4 stop, 9, stop, ND filter for however much strength you need. They even make variable ND filters that change the strength by turning it kind of like a circular polarizer/CPL.

Why you would need one:

For example, you're outside in the sunlight and want to have a shallow depth of field by shooting at f/1.4. Depending on your camera, Your maximum shutter speed is probably 1/4000 of a second unless you're using a pro-sumer or pro type body with 1/8000th of a second maximum shutter speed. The sun is so bright that you shooting at your widest aperture and lowest ISO, you're still getting over-exposed images. WIth a ND filter, you can shoot that same shutter speed but have the correct exposure wide open by stopping down the available light coming on to the sensor.

It also lets you take long exposure pictures in daylight. Ex, clouds, water, etc.

As for brands, I tend to stick with B+W and Hoya. There are others that are better, but B+W and Hoya are reasonably priced. I would say B+W is a little more expensive though. And in terms of quality, I would say B+W is slightly above Hoya.

Back
Top Bottom