The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

You can use a crop to your advantage too. So say you are shooting a wedding and need some length, slap on a 135mm on say a 7D and it's even longer. I think Quickter would use that for portraits. Would literally have backgrounds melting because of the bokeh.....like these:

And I am sort of sifting through this other forum with people using the 135mm. Wow. I rented this lens before but never really gave it a try. Almost want to try it again.

Some samples but not my photos:

#this, yes optically prime lenses are typically MUCH better than your average kit lens...this shouldn't be taken to mean that kit lens aren't of value, especially starting out; just trying to figure things out...
Maybe I read the initial inquiry wrong, I took it as kit lens or a 35/50 prime to start out with. Me personally, I'm going w/ the prime each time. The 18-55 kit lens does have value, essentially that it shoots wider. But that's about where it ends for me. It loses in pretty much any other category. Having a variable aperture lens to me is not a positive. I am probably bias, but having the added flexibility of lower f stops the cheap primes provide more than justify them over a 18-55 IMO. Depth of field is so key in the creative aspect, and is something that is much more difficult to use when you're limited to 3.5-5.6 at best.

This is all opinion though and everyone is free to do as they please. If you do start out w/ the kit lens; very first thing I'd recommend after that is a faster/cheap prime.
happy.gif

Last edited:
#this, yes optically prime lenses are typically MUCH better than your average kit lens...this shouldn't be taken to mean that kit lens aren't of value, especially starting out; just trying to figure things out...

Maybe I read the initial inquiry wrong, I took it as kit lens or a 35/50 prime to start out with. Me personally, I'm going w/ the prime each time. The 18-55 kit lens does have value, essentially that it shoots wider. But that's about where it ends for me. It loses in pretty much any other category. Having a variable aperture lens to me is not a positive. I am probably bias, but having the added flexibility of lower f stops the cheap primes provide more than justify them over a 18-55 IMO. Depth of field is so key in the creative aspect, and is something that is much more difficult to use when you're limited to 3.5-5.6 at best.

This is all opinion though and everyone is free to do as they please. If you do start out w/ the kit lens; very first thing I'd recommend after that is a faster/cheap prime. :D

no doubt, that's all mostly true...what i mean is that when starting out, generally the kit lens is a great tool just to learn, it makes the act of taking pictures much easier, as well as discover which focal lengths one gravitates toward. it seems like anytime someone mentions getting a new dslr people are quick to say "ditch the kit lens and get a prime lens"

random:

I'm doing my first portrait shots with 2 girls in a few weeks. Anyone have any tips on lens ? I'm currently shooting with a t3i. I have 18-55 kit lens. 50mm 1.8 & a 40mm 2.8. We're shooting outside.

I plan on doing it here: http://californiathroughmylens.com/murphys-ranch-abandoned-nazi-camp-in-santa-monica/

Bring them all. The kit lens may not be as sharp as some of your prime lenses and you won't have the shallow DOF, but if you are shooting both models at the same time then you should be shooting at a higher f-stop anyway. Lens are a small part of what you are about to experience. Find your light, be creative, pose your models well, and stay positive. The venue looks cool though, good luck and share some of your pics when finished.

I'm looking for a stabilizer for my DSLR (60D) to shoot video. Can anyone recommend me one? Looking for something under $150.

Back
Top Bottom