The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

mjbetch mjbetch Did some retouching.

HankHill HankHill damn bro. Looks great. If only I knew how to do that haha. I'd probably just use the healing tool and butcher it :lol:
Thats essentially what it is lol. Heal tool. Soften and smooth the skin. Brighten the eyes.

I forget what site I was on (I think modelmayhem), but there were threads where people posted unedited pictures for others to edit. Can just practice on those. I think the afro photo guy would do raw edits and share the file as well.

Nice pics mjbetch. I might even take a class next week shooting a nude model at some mansion in Oakland. It's $150 but it seems like a good session if I get some good photos. Only thing is I only got my 50mm and I seriously needed a 85mm at times. Will post pics when I get them.

Nice pics mjbetch. I might even take a class next week shooting a nude model at some mansion in Oakland. It's $150 but it seems like a good session if I get some good photos. Only thing is I only got my 50mm and I seriously needed a 85mm at times. Will post pics when I get them.

Man that sounds like it'll be an awesome learning experience. How do u find classes / meetups around here like this? All of my training has come from second shooting gigs. I want to try a workshop one day.

I've never shot anyone nude before. I bet that dynamic would make it pretty difficult to execute in a classy and artistic manner.

Does anyone here have exp w/ that? how much different is it than w/ lingerie or implied?

I always check meetup for photo workshops and its always some nude/boudoir or "airport hangar" shoot. Like is everyone just a perv or corny lol?

If I can find something decent that's just studio models with lighting I'd pay for it.

Man that sounds like it'll be an awesome learning experience. How do u find classes / meetups around here like this? All of my training has come from second shooting gigs. I want to try a workshop one day.

I've never shot anyone nude before. I bet that dynamic would make it pretty difficult to execute in a classy and artistic manner.

Does anyone here have exp w/ that? how much different is it than w/ lingerie or implied?

I did one class with the guy before. I put up a post about him a while back. He's creditable and has shot famous models but hits teaching style is okay and most of the people go in not learning to shoot but just shooting with others. I found some of the other photographers were a tad snobby and on the old side but I was fine by it and allowed them to be that way.

This is the event below. It's on a Tuesday from 6:30-9pm. It's not totally expensive but not cheap either. It's a small group so far. I am like 80% I am going but haven't paid yet.

http://www.meetup.com/California-Art-Nude-Photography-Workshops/events/229677727/

@Fongstarr

Dopeee! Is renting or borrowing out of the picture? Can't wait to see, homie!

I want to rent a lens but I'd have a hard time returning it the next day since I have to be in the East Bay all next week. So I have to make my 50mm work regardless but that isn't the worst lens in the world to have. Hopefully someone at the meet up will have a spare lens for me to use if they are cool.

I want to rent a lens but I'd have a hard time returning it the next day since I have to be in the East Bay all next week. So I have to make my 50mm work regardless but that isn't the worst lens in the world to have. Hopefully someone at the meet up will have a spare lens for me to use if they are cool.

have you looked into borrowlenses? they are pretty affordable with a pretty deep selection of gear and if there is a local spot in your city you don't have pay for shipping...i recently rented the 85mm f1.2 for 3 days (which really works out to be 4 days technically) for like $60, pretty legit...

shot this pano with it

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

last week rented a 135mm f1.8 and a 35mm f1.4 for a little more than $100 (with a discount)

these were with the rented 35, the 135 was fun to use but was harder for me to use

cypha snapshots by a0, on Flickr

double duty by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
^^^^^^^NIce! I am going to look into borrowlenses right now.

Anyone recommend a zoom lens that is not the 70-200? I am thinking I might go zoom for this portrait class so I don't have to keep popping lenses off and on.

Last edited:

Anyone recommend a zoom lens that is not the 70-200? I am thinking I might go zoom for this portrait class so I don't have to keep popping lenses off and on.
I have a 70-210 but I prefer to use my 28-200 since it gives me a wider range of shots to take

24-70 is a staple in the trio of zoom lenses. For the portrait class, I'd just stick with primes if you're trying to avoid the 70-200. Popping lenses is worth it!

You guys think the package deals on the Sony A6000 are gonna get a price drop sometime soon with the release of the A6300?

^^^^^^Hard to say just cause the A6300 was priced so high that it's almost in another bracket of it's own. The A6000 might just be sold as the entry level camera to the A6300. That's my 2 cents anyways cause prices could go down.

24-70 is a staple in the trio of zoom lenses. For the portrait class, I'd just stick with primes if you're trying to avoid the 70-200. Popping lenses is worth it!

I rented the 24-70 once and just hated it for whatever reason. My photos just didn't look sharp and background blur wasn't up to snuff for me. I might just rent the 85mm 1.2 then and just shoot that range. Perhaps I'll mix it up with the 50mm when we get to take turns shooting the model. Thanks for the input.

^^^^^^Hard to say just cause the A6300 was priced so high that it's almost in another bracket of it's own. The A6000 might just be sold as the entry level camera to the A6300. That's my 2 cents anyways cause prices could go down.

I rented the 24-70 once and just hated it for whatever reason. My photos just didn't look sharp and background blur wasn't up to snuff for me. I might just rent the 85mm 1.2 then and just shoot that range. Perhaps I'll mix it up with the 50mm when we get to take turns shooting the model. Thanks for the input.

I felt the same way when I borrowed a 24-70.

I pretty much dislike every pic i took when i put the subject in an outer third w/ that lens.

weird tho... when i see other pics people have taken with the 24-70 i usually love them :lol:

You guys think the package deals on the Sony A6000 are gonna get a price drop sometime soon with the release of the A6300?

probably not, even though the a6300 is technically replaces the a6000 i read somewheres they plan to keep making the a6000 because sony feel that the a6000 is still a good camera that fills a role as an entry level /intermediate camera while the a6300 is supposed to be more of a serious camera.

plus there isn't much lower it could go without stepping on the the a5100/a5000, i think that why they upped the price on the a6300

What do you guys think of the 35mm lens as my prime lens and 50mm for portrait photography?

I have an a6000, and really want to work on my craft and do a few free gigs to build a portfolio.

I pretty much dislike every pic i took when i put the subject in an outer third w/ that lens.

weird tho... when i see other pics people have taken with the 24-70 i usually love them :lol:

If it were just studio work, I wouldn't mind the 24-70mm just cause I would assume I would use flash and shoot at f/3.5 or higher. Since this is indoors with natural light, I need a faster lens. I doubt I am touching anywhere close to f/1.2 cause I heard it's super hard to get in focus but I'll be around the f/2.0 area anyways. I just didn't want to get the 70-200mm just cause of the size and carrying that in my bag with my other gear. Not that the 85mm is that much smaller. That thing is a tank!

If it were just studio work, I wouldn't mind the 24-70mm just cause I would assume I would use flash and shoot at f/3.5 or higher. Since this is indoors with natural light, I need a faster lens. I doubt I am touching anywhere close to f/1.2 cause I heard it's super hard to get in focus but I'll be around the f/2.0 area anyways. I just didn't want to get the 70-200mm just cause of the size and carrying that in my bag with my other gear. Not that the 85mm is that much smaller. That thing is a tank!

:rofl:

70-200 gets heavy after lugging it for a few hours no lie

if ur gonna shoot around f/2 why not rent the 85 1.8?

Back
Top Bottom