The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Dancing at an 18th bday party i shot a couple weeks ago :wow:

like having the sun behind my back?

i tried it, do have some photos. i waited til later for the sun to go down a bit more. light was harsh on her face

i was managing my time so poorly
mean.gif

and my 50mm was being a *****.
I'm trying to remember how to adjust the "harshness" of light on a subject's face and I want to say shutter speed but it might actually be aperture. I remember watching a video talking about adjusting the settings to get diff effects on a subject with a flash and how the background would change also. I think aperture was for the subject (more wide open the brighter the subject would be) and shutter speed was for background (slower speed would yield a brighter background). Not 100% but 80-95% sure that's what it is

Thanks!

The AF was just really off. I'd be half clicking and it'd try to AF but wouldn't. Motor would run for a couple seconds but no AF beep. Sometimes it'd work. Basically shot with MF half the time.

Maybe I'll look into the stm version.

Trueee. Might have been that the face was too dark in relation to the rest of the scene? Who knows. Looks like you did a great job manual focusing though!

Did you add grain btw? Any particular reason why you chose ISO 400 over 100 or 200?

d'oh. good question. feel like an idiot now :smh:

i did sharpen it a bit. i'll tone that down maybe .. is it distracting/bad?

Last edited:
Anybody have a bridge camera? If so, how do you make it work w/o the blur? Got my wife a P600 (she didn't want me to spend the money on the D3300) and at times when I'm taking the photos, it always gets blurry as if I gotta stand still for like 3min after I take the flick.

d'oh. good question. feel like an idiot now :smh:

i did sharpen it a bit. i'll tone that down maybe .. is it distracting/bad?

Nah, not an idiot at all, bro! we're all still learning. But yeah, as previously mentioned, I probably would have knocked it down to ISO 100 and shot at more or less 1/250. Static portraits really don't ever have to go above 1/250.

As for the sharpening being a distraction, it doesn't bother me at all. It might bother some people, but I like it.

Had a shoot today, wanted to do golden hour.

There is an art to shooting at golden hour. I think a reflector is a must at this time or your image will be sort of how it was shot with the face dark. I think you even just have to over expose at times to get a blown out sky. I still haven't even gotten a good one at golden hour but then I always need sort of an assistant in order to use a reflector.

I really want to get some shots like this but everytime I shoot, they never turn out that way.

@Fongstarr I think a lot of that color just had to do with the location. Warm colored trees/grass, then the sun enhanced it a bit more and I feel a lot more color was added in post.

You're definitely right. A reflector is a must if you want to highlight the face.

@Fongstarr I think a lot of that color just had to do with the location. Warm colored trees/grass, then the sun enhanced it a bit more and I feel a lot more color was added in post.

You're definitely right. A reflector is a must if you want to highlight the face.

reflector would have allowed that lens to see what you were trying to focus on.

Last edited:
Had a shoot today, wanted to do golden hour.

There is an art to shooting at golden hour. I think a reflector is a must at this time or your image will be sort of how it was shot with the face dark. I think you even just have to over expose at times to get a blown out sky. I still haven't even gotten a good one at golden hour but then I always need sort of an assistant in order to use a reflector.

I really want to get some shots like this but everytime I shoot, they never turn out that way.

yeah i'll have to look into a reflector in the future, i'm usually out there by myself though.

I cant wait till i charge enough to afford an assistant :x

Having a human hold a flash on a monopod or a reflector is so nice.

Last edited:
Not sure if people have seen but a new company called Irix is putting out a 11mm f/4 and a 15mm f/2.4. Looks solid from the write up I read with a rear view and front view filter option which was Tamron's initial failure. If this lens has good optics, it could be a really affordable wide angle lens for all those landscape photographers out there.

4-lens-3-550x413.jpg
Irix-15mm-f2.4-full-frame-lens3-550x309.jpg

Anybody have a bridge camera? If so, how do you make it work w/o the blur? Got my wife a P600 (she didn't want me to spend the money on the D3300) and at times when I'm taking the photos, it always gets blurry as if I gotta stand still for like 3min after I take the flick.

you just have to make sure your shutter speed is relatively fast enough to compensate for shaky hands and/or movement in the photo(s), there is a guide/rule to help out with this...but some bridge cameras don't always make this easy to figure out...generally though if you can get you shutter speed around 125th of a second or 250th of second you should be pretty good to get blur free photos - provided you aren't moving the camera or there is quick movements in your frame

yanky yanky those are nice. after you did the edits on them i'm liking the style.

now if you ever want to practice on shooting people and practice your "hobby" i'll pick you up as well to do a family shoot for me, my wife, and kid :tongue:

Haha shooting people is one thing I suck at. Cars are much easier to work with lol

Meeting with a bride later on today.

Hoping to land 5th wedding for the year.

positive vibes brahs :pimp:

Good luck!

The Internet and Youtube
lol this

I wish I did have a legit contribution to make, because I think its a shame nobody reads books anymore

but anyway check out DigitalRev, serge ramelli or tony northrup on Youtube for info, been binging their videos for the past wee and learning alottt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom