The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^I don't know. People always talk about the 85mm being the lens of all lenses. I know the f/1.8 has a better focus speed altogether but if I have the chance to rent either or, I have to get the f/1.2 out of principle. I think I read somewhere that the focus on the 1.2 is just better in low light and considering I am shooting at 6:30 to 9:30pm, I might as well take advantage of the faster lens. I guess I am foolish to think I won't shoot at 1.2 cause that is literally the whole point of that lens but I think even though I will be shooting mostly at 1.8-2, I at least like to know I have the 1.2 if I need it.

What do you guys think of the 35mm lens as my prime lens and 50mm for portrait photography?

I have an a6000, and really want to work on my craft and do a few free gigs to build a portfolio.

35 and 50 is a solid kit. What kind of portraits were you thinking? 50mm is good for portraits, just not a first choice.

If it were just studio work, I wouldn't mind the 24-70mm just cause I would assume I would use flash and shoot at f/3.5 or higher. Since this is indoors with natural light, I need a faster lens. I doubt I am touching anywhere close to f/1.2 cause I heard it's super hard to get in focus but I'll be around the f/2.0 area anyways. I just didn't want to get the 70-200mm just cause of the size and carrying that in my bag with my other gear. Not that the 85mm is that much smaller. That thing is a tank!

What kind of workshop are you doing? Is it a "natural light" workshop?

The 85 1.2 is going to be sharper at f/2 than the 85 1.8 at f/2.

35 and 50 is a solid kit. What kind of portraits were you thinking? 50mm is good for portraits, just not a first choice.
What kind of workshop are you doing? Is it a "natural light" workshop?

The 85 1.2 is going to be sharper at f/2 than the 85 1.8 at f/2.

It's a nude model workshop. Not really for perv reasons but I always wondered how hard it is to do what Vans Styles does. I think most of these classes takes place in the teacher's studio but this one is offsite in a large house. Kind of makes the shoot more interesting that way if you ask me so I need the fastest lens I can get unless there will be some sort of staged lighting. From looking at pics, it seems they shoot near windows when the sun is going down but by 8pm, it should be dark and this thing ends at 9:30pm. I won't go crazy on bokeh but like I said, I just like to know I can use it if need be.

This is the house:

600_448052991.jpeg
600_448053077.jpeg
600_448053247.jpeg
600_448053270.jpeg

And this is the model. What's funny is as much as this is a nude photography event, I want to shoot most photos where it's partial nude. Sort of give it that appeal where you have to let you imagination fill in the rest.

tumblr_o1jcvj8aQt1u7m7q2o1_500.jpg
tumblr_o0plp7D0221u7m7q2o1_500.jpg

Her IG for the stalkers: https://www.instagram.com/greeneyed85/

It's only the beginning. You'll never truly be done :wink:

At this rate I don't think I need to outfit my D810 with anything else.

Primes:
28mm f1.8
50mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
105mm f/2.8 Macro

Zooms:
24-70mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8

My a6000 has the kit 16-50mm, 35mm f/1.8, and 50mm f/1.8

G.A.S.

I don't think I will want the 14-24. Widest I've shot is 28mm on the D810. Who knows what my style will evolve into.

Shot an accord a couple days ago. They guy wanted to pay me but I refused since this is only a hobby of mine and wasn't sure how the images would turn out. At least he picked me up so I didn't have to drive :\...How many images would you guys usually give to a client if you were doing a shoot like this? We went to three different locations.

Edit: So I sent these and a few others to the client and all I got was "Those look excellent and on point." No Wow! or damn! I got nothin. -_- Maybe he had higher expectations. :/

width

IMG_7775 by Mayank, on Flickr

Front end by Mayank, on Flickr

Darknight by Mayank, on Flickr

Last edited:
Shot an accord a couple days ago. They guy wanted to pay me but I refused since this is only a hobby of mine and wasn't sure how the images would turn out. At least he picked me up so I didn't have to drive :\...How many images would you guys usually give to a client if you were doing a shoot like this? We went to three different locations.

Edit: So I sent these and a few others to the client and all I got was "Those look excellent and on point." No Wow! or damn! I got nothin. -_- Maybe he had higher expectations. :/

Idk why you stressin, bro. Those are damn nice.

you know maybe he looks at car pictures all the time so he isnt amazed anymor. he just knows what to expect and you gave him that. idk but i think his response was fair

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

you know maybe he looks at car pictures all the time so he isnt amazed anymor. he just knows what to expect and you gave him that. idk but i think his response was fair

This was my first actual shoot for someone I don't know personally so I expected a little more but you're right. If I was in his shoes I'd probably say the same thing.

^ just asking, but why didn't you put her face in the light?

like having the sun behind my back?

i tried it, do have some photos. i waited til later for the sun to go down a bit more. light was harsh on her face

i was managing my time so poorly :smh:

and my 50mm was being a *****.

Last edited:
yanky yanky those are nice. after you did the edits on them i'm liking the style.

now if you ever want to practice on shooting people and practice your "hobby" i'll pick you up as well to do a family shoot for me, my wife, and kid :tongue:

Last edited:

i tried it, do have some photos. i waited til later for the sun to go down a bit more. light was harsh on her face

I like the darker feel to it actually.

Just curious, what about the 50mm was happening? Maybe we can help? :smile:

I like the darker feel to it actually.

Just curious, what about the 50mm was happening? Maybe we can help? :smile:

Thanks!

The AF was just really off. I'd be half clicking and it'd try to AF but wouldn't. Motor would run for a couple seconds but no AF beep. Sometimes it'd work. Basically shot with MF half the time.

Maybe I'll look into the stm version.

Last edited:
Thanks!

The AF was just really off. I'd be half clicking and it'd try to AF but wouldn't. Motor would run for a couple seconds but no AF beep. Sometimes it'd work. Basically shot with MF half the time.

Maybe I'll look into the stm version.

Trueee. Might have been that the face was too dark in relation to the rest of the scene? Who knows. Looks like you did a great job manual focusing though!

Did you add grain btw? Any particular reason why you chose ISO 400 over 100 or 200?

^ just asking, but why didn't you put her face in the light?

My 50mm focuses just fine unless there isn't enough contrast on the focal point i've selected. But i think that is generally the case with most lenses.

Gotta be careful with that ISO on a crop sensor camera. Its a bit noisy. Could have done ISO 100 w/ 1/250 and get a much cleaner image.

Although u probably got exactly what you're looking for. its a dope portrait.

Dont even trip. those images are fantastic.

You never know how people are going to react positively.

I shot portraits for a couple who every time looked at the back of my camera looked like :stoneface:

and when they got their images they were like "Man we love the pics, lets book another shoot" and they've become repeat clients of mine.

Not everyone is going to show positive feedback in the same way.

I cant lie tho... when you show the back of the camera to someone you're photographing and they hit u with :wow: :wow: :smokin

One of the best feelings in the world. :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom