The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

This questions has probably been answered in this thread

BUT UM,

What programs do you guys use to edit your photos? Non expensive please.

I use iPhoto on my MAC and its ok but want to get deeper into editing.

Lightroom and Gimp. LR is $150 Gimp free [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Northern Lights from my balcony.

Let me help you with that:

900x900px-LL-72fd2f5d_image.jpeg

Going to purchase the 28mm f/1.8G to replace my 35mm f/1.8G DX. Preparing for the war. Now that I am more knowledgeable of gear and know what I really want, the 35mm won't be for me once I upgrade to a full frame body. Gotta find the best way to part with my kit lens, 35mm, and 55-200. I don't even use my 55-200 because it doesn't fit with my style of shooting. Next up is getting a D600/610 and then the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II. Any suggestions on getting rid of these?

Nice. Yeah, I'd pick the 28mm 1.8 over the 35 1.8 any day. What's your style of shooting? How is the 70-200 going to be any different from your 55-200? I'm just curious as to see if you have an idea of why you want that certain lens.
---

Just some random shots from today testing out my 18mm f/2.

Blog updated.

http://gbrldz.com

What brand is the 18mm? I like the wide angle aspect of it and am thinking about either that or the 35mm.

its March and we are still getting snow in Indiana :smh:

Anyone know where i can find a free/inexpensive download to LR?

You can download a free trial of LR5 from adobe's site.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom

There's always torrents, but I didn't say that. :wink:

Yessir. Sucks that canon doesn't make an 18mm though.

Get the Tokina 10-16mm instead. Even wider and fast aperture.

The 10-17 f/3.5-4.5 right? Here's my line up as far as what I'm thinking about purchasing.

6D
1. Canon 24-105mm (I heard they start to have problems after 3 years where the motor begins to go out)
2. Either 35mm f/2 or 50mm f/1.4 I want the 35mm f/1.4 but that's too much right now lol
3. Still debating on a zoom lens. Maybe the 10-17mm now that you bring it up. I just want something with a aperture of 2 or below for that bokehness

^^^^Oh....you got a 6D. I'd recommend getting the 16-35mm if you can handle the price. It's on the cheaper side for L lenses and you can find a ton used.

Picked up a Youngnuo flash, anyone have experience with one?

They're great I've a couple of the Yongnuo YN 560 III w/ built in wireless. It's all manual though. $80 bucks can't go wrong. Only time I break out the canon variants is when I need ttl which is rare these days.

^^^^Oh....you got a 6D. I'd recommend getting the 16-35mm if you can handle the price. It's on the cheaper side for L lenses and you can find a ton used.

I haven't gotten it yet but that's what I decided on. Looking to get the body for 1300 if I can. Brand new so I'm waiting on some steals. I'll definitely look into that lens.

I haven't gotten it yet but that's what I decided on. Looking to get the body for 1300 if I can. Brand new so I'm waiting on some steals. I'll definitely look into that lens.

$1500 on ebay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321350825643

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/03/deal-canon-eos-6d-body-1499-2/

Right on Fong! Now I just need to find out if they're an authorized seller. I saw this deal a few days ago but slept on it. I would've just sold the printer locally and kept the body and 24-105.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6786040-can...paper-32gb-card-and-case-1998ar-free-shipping

Some people are saying there might be more deals coming soon.

I'm in need of a hobby, and I'm interested in taking up photography. Advice on the best beginner cameras, filters, picture software, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in need of a hobby, and I'm interested in taking up photography. Advice on the best beginner cameras, filters, picture software, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

It's going to be one expensive hobby. I personally would start by researching the two main competitors, Canon and Nikon. I can only speak for Canon since that's what I shoot with. Rebel series are usually good beginner cameras. I personally would not start messing with filters until you are not comfortable with the camera as they are pretty expensive (if you buy quality). Lightroom is a pretty basic software for editing and if you want to get into more detail, Photoshop.

dope, this is how the in my mind the best version of the interconnected networks of the interwebs would function! to piggyback on that, you should ask yourself with every picture; what is it you are trying to capture? what is it you want to show? and i really believe the best advice for anyone getting into photography is to learn how a camera (preferably the one you use) works. it will help you understand how to get the type of images you want with consistency...
thank you guys both! I appreciate it!

quick question, anyone have any recommendations for a tripod? 

One that can support your camera and stay upright. [emoji]128077[/emoji] Nah there are so many brands out there but you can't go wrong with manfrotto. they can get spendy though. Check out B&H or Adorama and see what they have to offer.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a cheap tripod. You get what you pay for. You might as well pay the money now and have something with you that will last for years rather than having to replace a tripod here and there.

I second the previous recommendation on Manfrotto. While there are others out there that are just as good as Manfrotto, or even better, I'm just speaking from my personal experience.
I have a Manfrotto befree travel tripod as well as a 055xPROB with 496RC2 ball head. Usually with higher end tripods, you purchase the tripod and head separately. I highly recommend a ball head for more versatile shooting. Manfrotto, although a bit pricey, is worth every penny for the most part. They do the job well, and the do it forever.

As for travel vs regular, I tend to take my travel tripod with me wherever I think I may need it. The055x just stays at home for when I need it the little times I'm at home. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any recommendations and such!

Back
Top Bottom