The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

anyone want to school me on the downfalls of buying a used flash? local camera store has a canon speedlite for 160 and a 90 day warranty. is this a good deal for what would be my first flash?

redbull middle east flaked out. i knew it was too good to be true when they approached me |I

something from last month
red bull pro rider Jean Marc backside flip over the gap

That sucks.
anyone want to school me on the downfalls of buying a used flash? local camera store has a canon speedlite for 160 and a 90 day warranty. is this a good deal for what would be my first flash?

Probably nothing really. No different then buying a lens. It's just not new for the most part but as long as the bulb is working, it should be cool. Can't really figure how a flash couldn't work aside from that.

My cat Cheese. Rebel XT, 70-200 mm telephoto lens (rented it for the weekend) ... click to enlarge

Last edited:
@silkboi yea, the only time I use a remote (my cellphone has an ir blaster, #teamandroid) is for long exposures or when the camera isn't handheld; why do you ask?

tokes99 tokes99 you said when zone focusing many people were looking at your calendar. I'd assume clicking down on the shutter button while walking past would draw more attention than a remote so i asked which you used.

tokes99 tokes99 you said when zone focusing many people were looking at your calendar. I'd assume clicking down on the shutter button while walking past would draw more attention than a remote so i asked which you used.

I see...could have been, my camera is relatively small & unassuming though, no crazy lens or loud shutter especially out on city streets...I think it was more that in effort to slyly take a picture I was giving off cues that I was taking a picture. it just was kind of funny, it is kind of awkward to do & to see people looking dead at my camera made me feel that much more weird about it

Really thankful I'm a 5 minute walk from here.

Question for all those that have covered indoor events, I'm taking pictures for a school formal and am looking to rent out a flash for the night. Idk I've never really shot with a flash before, anyone have any recommendations? Shooting with a Mark III so should I just rent out a 580 and a lightsphere? Also any tips on where I should be directing/bouncing the flash off?

Duuuuuude I ******* hate going through these phases where I'm shooting but not getting quality images...

I'm tired of shooting LA brehz!

Damn!

i used to rent a Canon 50D + 100mm macro lens + GoPro Hero3 from my school over this semester.
but now the year is done, and i doubt itll be open during the summer. until next year i guess lol
best part, it was free. i is sad bruhs.

i got this 'old' Canon Powershot SX30 IS for free. its alright, but theres hella noise in every pic i take, especially outdoor. thinking about selling it, how much yall think its worth? :nerd:

Meeting up with a seller locally for a 6D. I'm just wondering how does the canon warranty process work? I just fill out the card, send it in but do i need to provide a copy of the og receipt or send in the actual og receipt. How long is their warranty? Standard 1 year I'm assuming, I was thinking about getting Squaretrades warranty but I never dropped my old camera I had for a while so I'm not worried about that. What I really wanted to know was if I could just send in the camera to canon and get the lens cleaned if it was under their standard 1 year warranty. Not sure if they cover the shipping charges though. Need some help here bros.

Seller bought the camera off adorama and I've never bought from them before but do they provide their own complimentary warranty or is it just the manufactures warranty?

Last edited:
went to san francisco today and explored around. have so much material to go through, but wanted to share a quick edit I did of one of my favorite shots from today. 

f7a82422-4607-4f23-bbfd-432ebb7d6f5e.jpg

Which model is it?

420ex.

and thanks for the insight fong
You should be fine.

Really thankful I'm a 5 minute walk from here.

Question for all those that have covered indoor events, I'm taking pictures for a school formal and am looking to rent out a flash for the night. Idk I've never really shot with a flash before, anyone have any recommendations? Shooting with a Mark III so should I just rent out a 580 and a lightsphere? Also any tips on where I should be directing/bouncing the flash off?
Gary Fong Lightsphere and flash.

recently volunteered my services to be a second shooter/assistant for a photographer to gain some experience and help build a portfolio.
Steezy, any tips for what you'd expect an assistant or secondary shooter to bring to the table?

Good stuff, ksteezy ksteezy ! Can't wait to see what you produce with it.

recently volunteered my services to be a second shooter/assistant for a photographer to gain some experience and help build a portfolio.
Steezy, any tips for what you'd expect an assistant or secondary shooter to bring to the table?

It could just be my monitor, but are these photos out of focus?

Anyways, usually assistants or secondaries (from what I've seen on the interwebs and around my area) are that they do a lot of the grunt work. For example, hold up a light/softbox on a monopod, make sure things are at the right settings, get different lenses/whatever else for the main shooter. Things like that. I'm not sure how much shooting you're going to do. Also, did they choose you? Or you literally just said "I'll volunteer to be a second shooter/assistant? Sounds exciting, man. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom