**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

Polo aint never gonna look like that again.
That was Ralph's eye picking the designs and artists.
That was Ralph's eye for color and knowing what to steal from the past and what
to keep modern.

There are millenials filled up in the Ralph Lauren offices now.
They got their marketing and business degrees and grew up wearing Supreme, Stone Island, Bape
etc. The ones in their 30s were too young
to afford or care about Ralph (when Polo was at it's peak).

Soon as they get home, they put on Supreme, Stone Island or Gucci etc.
They get assignments to modernize these old designs and they have a budget.
The goal is to make low cost knock offs of what these boomers and old heads
like. The new design team doesn't have passion for the brand.
Most of them were in grade school - junior high when Polo was an urban phenomenon.

I admire the old designs, but Polo will never
look like that again. Ralph is retired and his share holders want low cost production from the blue label line.
The letters will all peel off on the branding. Nothing embroidered or printed.

You really think that black deformed P wing knit sweater would have made it out the offices when
Ralph was running the creative process? Hell no.

New design team. Absolutely terrible blurred and non symmetrical illustration.
1588509515026.png

Old Design team headed by Ralph.
1588509559219.png

Attention to detail and symmetry on the Ralph illustration is perfect.

Last edited:
Polo aint never gonna look like that again.
That was Ralph's eye picking the designs and artists.
That was Ralph's eye for color and knowing what to steal from the past and what
to keep modern.

There are millenials filled up in the Ralph Lauren offices now.
They got their marketing and business degrees and grew up wearing Supreme, Stone Island, Bape
etc. The ones in their 30s were too young
to afford or care about Ralph (when Polo was at it's peak).

Soon as they get home, they put on Supreme, Stone Island or Gucci etc.
They get assignments to modernize these old designs and they have a budget.
The goal is to make low cost knock offs of what these boomers and old heads
like. The new design team doesn't have passion for the brand.
Most of them were in grade school - junior high when Polo was an urban phenomenon.

I admire the old designs, but Polo will never
look like that again. Ralph is retired and his share holders want low cost production from the blue label line.
The letters will all peel off on the branding. Nothing embroidered or printed.

You really think that black deformed P wing knit sweater would have made it out the offices when
Ralph was running the creative process? Hell no.

New design team. Absolutely terrible blurred and non symmetrical illustration.
1588509515026.png

Old Design team headed by Ralph.
1588509559219.png

Attention to detail and symmetry on the Ralph illustration is perfect.
Gotta admit, my initial reaction was that your post was just a rant.
But then those pics really clarified and cemented your ideas. The "wing" on the first pic looks so garbled up. It looks like a topographic map. The only reason I know it's a wing is well, because I know it's supposed to be a wing.

It was a rant, but hes not lying.

A lot of the stuff released the past few yrs is not quality. Gotta pick and choose now, whereas before entire collections were quality.

I've said it before. A lot of the pieces coming out now are not quality and appear to be vague colorful garbage. We need Ralph back!

92 lo ain’t hitting the shelves ever again this is the best we will ever get you have 2 choices live in the past or enjoy what you got now yeah it’s not the same but it’s all we got I’ll take it it’s better than nothing

Recent Purchase:

Polo Southwestern Retro Sweater (Salesman Sample)

Screenshot_20200503-154049_Photo Editor.jpg

Screenshot_20200425-180458_Instagram.jpg

production model vs. salesman sample
20200503_161114.jpg

This is probably the best example of how much RL reduced the quality of the items for Fall 2019 production. The samples are made from higher grade materials, and have many more suttle design elements that meet the RL standard. You can see that the sample has grey vertical lines through the sleeve diamonds, the chest design has red and orange colors surrounding the both ends, and there is a bright red line across the waist and sleeve cuffs. Also, the design on the chest is larger, has grey horizontal lines throughout, and it's centered so that all of the patterns match the sleeves. Also, there are additional pinstripes, and the sample is 5%Cashmere and 95%Wool which doubles the thickness abd softness of the sweater, while the production model that was released is 100% ridiculous wool.

I stopped settling a long time ago. If the products that RL releases don't match the level of quality and design the They show in the sample pictures, then I don't buy. I'd rather search until I find exactly what it is that I saw from RL that I expected.

Last edited:
Recent Purchase:

20200503_161114.jpg

This is probably the best example of how much RL reduces the quality of the items for production. The samples are made from higher grade materials, and have many more suttle design elements that meet the RL standard. You can see that the sample has grey vertical lines through the sleeve diamonds, the chest design has read and orange colors surrounding the both ends, and there is a bright red line across the waist and sleeve cuffs. Also, the design on the chest is larger, has grey horizontal lines throughout, and it's centered so that all of the patterns match the sleeves. Also, there are additional pinstripes, and the sample is 5%Cashmere and 95%Wool which doubles the thickness abd softness of the sweater, while the production model that was released is 100% ridiculous wool.

I stopped settling a long time ago. If the products that RL releases don't match the level of quality and design the They show in the sample pictures, then I don't buy. I'd rather search until I find exactly what it is that I saw from RL that I expected.
Dope pickup, good to see there's people still active buying what they like and not stuck in the hot tub time machine dated 1988-1993.

Recent Purchase:

20200503_161114.jpg

This is probably the best example of how much RL reduced the quality of the items for Fall 2019 production. The samples are made from higher grade materials, and have many more suttle design elements that meet the RL standard. You can see that the sample has grey vertical lines through the sleeve diamonds, the chest design has red and orange colors surrounding the both ends, and there is a bright red line across the waist and sleeve cuffs. Also, the design on the chest is larger, has grey horizontal lines throughout, and it's centered so that all of the patterns match the sleeves. Also, there are additional pinstripes, and the sample is 5%Cashmere and 95%Wool which doubles the thickness abd softness of the sweater, while the production model that was released is 100% ridiculous wool.

Probably "knit" picking but I like the look of the production model better in terms of comfort. Not sure of the grade of cotton used I'm either but the production model definitely looks softer aka thinner than the sample but I'd rather a softer cotton but that comes with snag issues...

At this point in the game it is what it is... Just buy what you like... Quality is hit or miss throughout the whole line each season. Some pieces might be fire but have quality issues and so so pieces will be made with quality materials.

Ive purchased plenty items that when they come by mail im like wtf. They look good in the pics but when they arrive the quality sucks. My biggest disappointment is the bad quAlity printing. Some dope graphics like on the tshirts that i would have purchased if the printing was better. I like my clothes to age nicely with nice fading or patina. Some of these pieces are gonna age horribly. I have gotten some good items but i just hate having to pass on nice designs do to quality. I have those nike sweatshorts with the big check on the front that i wish the check would fade away lol. I washed them like 100 times already and the dam check still looks new with no cracking. They werent expensive either. Why cant polo get it right.

Ive purchased plenty items that when they come by mail im like wtf. They look good in the pics but when they arrive the quality sucks. My biggest disappointment is the bad quAlity printing. Some dope graphics like on the tshirts that i would have purchased if the printing was better. I like my clothes to age nicely with nice fading or patina. Some of these pieces are gonna age horribly. I have gotten some good items but i just hate having to pass on nice designs do to quality. I have those nike sweatshorts with the big check on the front that i wish the check would fade away lol. I washed them like 100 times already and the dam check still looks new with no cracking. They werent expensive either. Why cant polo get it right.

The creator of the brand is no longer designing. There are people who just work there
because they have the degree and did well in the interview. Polo in the 90s was like jewelry.
It aged well and you could pass down pieces to friends and relatives.

My cousin came to my house before he was leaving to go to florida just to get my 92 ski goose and red wooden bear ski sweater.
I outgrew them so I gave it to him thinking better quality and designs were coming.
He wanted a ski goose in florida. Thats how good Polo was. That was 96. LMAO
I was wrong. The company went public in 97 and stopped doing allot of illustrations. They stamped everything with polo sport
after 97 and then stamped it with RLX and now its all pasted on letters.

I have polo rugby from the 90s and its so heavy compared to the new stuff. Embroidered stitched letters.
The black polo sport rugby in the pic.

1588567725607.png

Times change. I still collect but its usually 1 or 2 things from each season. No more spending a grand or 2 per season.

Last edited:
Probably "knit" picking but I like the look of the production model better in terms of comfort. Not sure of the grade of cotton used I'm either but the production model definitely looks softer aka thinner than the sample but I'd rather a softer cotton but that comes with snag issues...

At this point in the game it is what it is... Just buy what you like... Quality is hit or miss throughout the whole line each season. Some pieces might be fire but have quality issues and so so pieces will be made with quality materials.
There's no cotton used in the sweaters. RL used wool to make the production model, but they used wool plus Cashmere to make the salesman sample. The difference between the small amount of Cashmere used in the sample and the production wool is unbelievable. I wish everyone had a chance to have the salesman samples thier favorite RL items in-hand. I can guarantee it will make you question if the Polo items that you purchase are just rebranded Denim&Supply.

RL really ain’t droppin a site wide code? At least for Mother’s Day?

and a lot of that PS stuff on end is still overpriced even with 40-50% off. Some of that is cheaper from a US store with 30% off, but I honestly expected all the PS stuff to be much cheaper than that by now.

CP-93 and Hi Tech stuff dropped in prices within a few months and some of this PS stuff has been out a year and still haven’t dropped in price

RL really ain’t droppin a site wide code? At least for Mother’s Day?

and a lot of that PS stuff on end is still overpriced even with 40-50% off. Some of that is cheaper from a US store with 30% off, but I honestly expected all the PS stuff to be much cheaper than that by now.

CP-93 and Hi Tech stuff dropped in prices within a few months and some of this PS stuff has been out a year and still haven’t dropped in price
At the most recent RL shareholder meeting, they stated that full price sell through is the way forward. RL said we ain't lowering the prices for nobody ! I don't know if that is a winning strategy in this chaotic environment but I'm not trippin'; I've saved so much money over the past two months, I feel like a junkie that finally shook my addiction LOL
My way forward? I will continue to pay less than retail no matter what and continue to patrol ebay for coveted pieces I didn't get the first time out. Ebay and poshmark and the real real are flooded with Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Hermes and RL Purple Label because people are now unemployed and need cash. It's a buyers market brotha! Let that cheap *** Polo Sport get marked down. RL is probably waiting until Memorial Day weekend for a sale.

Back
Top Bottom