The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

sony's briefing devs on prototype hardware that plays 4k blurays and scales games to 4k? or a slim ps4? why the hell would devs care about that?

everyone and their mother is trying to get cred for Patrick Klepek's story which specifically mentions more powerful hardware and 4k gaming

the idea that sony is briefing devs on a slim ps4 is laughable, they could make a slim ps4 without telling devs anything

Sony is stupid if they make a 4.5, way to annihilate your base
eyes.gif
what?

the most sensible way this works is like this:

i order the last of us 2 off amazon and i can either play it in 1080p on the ps4 in my bedroom or i can play it in 4k (native) on my ps4k in my living room

thats it, this whole talk about upsetting/splitting the base is crazy, especially if it were to cost more than the launch price

i would gladly pay 499 for a 4k ps4 with the breakout box integrated so i could just plug in the headset

if sony were release a ps4 that could natively play games in 4k at 30 fps, that could allow 1080p games to hit that 60-120 range which is exactly what they want for vr

Last edited:
sony's briefing devs on prototype hardware that plays 4k blurays and scales games to 4k? or a slim ps4? why the hell would devs care about that?

everyone and their mother is trying to get cred for Patrick Klepek's story which specifically mentions more powerful hardware and 4k gaming

the idea that sony is briefing devs on a slim ps4 is laughable, they could make a slim ps4 without telling devs anything
Well if the internal hardware changes, I'm sure Sony will have to brief them on it even if the devs only get the same amount of power available to them as their previous dev kits.

As the eurogamer quote says, you can't fit the tech for native 4K gaming in PS4's case and the tech is still expensive.

And this is where things become slightly strange - because while more GPU power is being offered to developers, realistically it is nowhere near enough to provide native 4K gaming at the same quality level as current 1080p titles. The full extent of the spec is a current focus of enquiry for us, but realistically, it is simply impossible to cram the equivalent of today's top-end PC graphics hardware into a console-sized, mass-market box.

Based on the technologies available, the tangible benefits seem unclear - it's unlikely that 30fps PS4 games will transform into 60fps PS4K games, and while we may see enhanced visuals and a push to extract the best from next-gen 4K displays, actual UHD native resolution gaming is simply not possible on cutting-edge titles, based on the technologies available to Sony now or in the next couple of years.

The increase in GPU power will be used for some sort of advanced 4K upscaler and 4K specific features as well as including HDMI 2.0.

Come to think of it too, they can't add in the break out box for VR since that would cause too much confusion and it has to be external since it's a splitter.

Wonder if Hybrid knows anything.

[rule]

Looked on Amazon and some games now have updated box arts.

View media item 1965589
View media item 1965590
View media item 1965592

Last edited:
Here's the thing though, there's no confirmation that Sony has to use the same case

They could release a slim ps4 and a bigger ps4k

That's just EG speculating

I'm sticking with Klepeks story

Last edited:

Anyone cop and play Bully on PS4 yet ?

For some reason I never played it back on the PS2 gen days.

Last edited:
Do you guys think there's a price drop soon for the Playstation 4? Have $150 gift card for Amazon. Thinking of the BO3 bundle. Also is it safe to buy from the other sellers on amazon? I can get it new for about $195 after my gift card from the other sellers fulfilled by Amazon. Any help appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Do you guys think there's a price drop soon for the Playstation 4? Have $150 gift card for Amazon. Thinking of the BO3 bundle. Also is it safe to buy from the other sellers on amazon? I can get it new for about $195 after my gift card from the other sellers fulfilled by Amazon. Any help appreciated thanks.
I would expect a price drop once the 4.5 drops but idk when that'll be.

Not until PS VR comes out, I would think so not before October.

Back
Top Bottom