The RETRO Gaming Thread!

I have that game. Totally confusing the first couple of times I played it. Btw, you guys should check out the Dirty Harry movies of the 70s. Bad *** films.

I hate Liam Neeson because of The Dead Pool... he was such a ***** in that movie that I never see him as a bad ***. Still love Schindler's List though. I wonder how much Lethal Enforcers 2 with 2 light guns is worth now. I bought the pack just to play Snatcher... but light games are useless on HDTVs.

That's why every gamer should own at least a small CRT TV.

Stopped in 20 minutes before the thrift store closed and found a complete mint copy of Gungrave for the ps2. Looks like a good one but I don't remember hearing about this game back in the day.

220px-Gungrave_Coverart.png

That's why every gamer should own at least a small CRT TV.

Stopped in 20 minutes before the thrift store closed and found a complete mint copy of Gungrave for the ps2. Looks like a good one but I don't remember hearing about this game back in the day.

220px-Gungrave_Coverart.png

I think there are two GG games for the PS2 (and I want to say I own them both). Mediocre at best, just liek the anime. I never invested much time into em.

As for the tube TV... that's easier said than done. I have a 30 inch 720p Samsung CRT (which is still useless for old light gun games as they detect screen position based on the pixels on the screen), and I 19 inch monitor, but I don't have room for them. Replaced the 30 inch TV with a 55 inch LCD and it takes up far less room ,which is crazy. Honestly I'd rather box up all my old non-HD consoles and buy the digital or rereleased versions on modern consoles if I like the game that much (or on a handheld). There are very few retro games that you need old hardware to play, which is why I am in the progress of downsizing my collection. Already made a G off ebay in the past couple of weeks just getting rid of unopened stuff that was taking up space.

I think there are two GG games for the PS2 (and I want to say I own them both). Mediocre at best, just liek the anime. I never invested much time into em.

As for the tube TV... that's easier said than done. I have a 30 inch 720p Samsung CRT (which is still useless for old light gun games as they detect screen position based on the pixels on the screen), and I 19 inch monitor, but I don't have room for them. Replaced the 30 inch TV with a 55 inch LCD and it takes up far less room ,which is crazy. Honestly I'd rather box up all my old non-HD consoles and buy the digital or rereleased versions on modern consoles if I like the game that much (or on a handheld). There are very few retro games that you need old hardware to play, which is why I am in the progress of downsizing my collection. Already made a G off ebay in the past couple of weeks just getting rid of unopened stuff that was taking up space.

Ahh I see. I thought you owned several light gun games, that's why I suggested a CRT TV. Yeah, if you no longer use them you're better off letting it go because it can definitely add to the clutter. Glad you got some money out of it too, awesome.

i thought the playstation dualshock when it first came out was the GOAT of controllers.

Until the original xbox s controller came out. The FAT version wasn't bad but when they slimmed it down--it was perfect. The placement of the dual analog sticks and everything else just feels more ergonomic and when your hands just rest on the controller it seems more natural. Then of course it just got better with future iterations of the xbox

Sony got too much pride to follow similar ergonomics it seems. The analog sticks both in the middle makes the thumbs closer and in a more awkward position.

Ahh I see. I thought you owned several light gun games, that's why I suggested a CRT TV. Yeah, if you no longer use them you're better off letting it go because it can definitely add to the clutter. Glad you got some money out of it too, awesome.

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO As much as I enjoy playing on OG hardware, those massive tube TVs are NOT missed by me. Took my Pops, brother and myself to haul our 36" and 30" tubes from the damn basement to our entrance lobby (where they were sold/junked). Since I was the strongest they made me hold the front of the TV while they grabbed the sides. Not only were the joints ridiculously heavy but the weight distribution was entirely at the front.

Also as slaughterx slaughterx mentioned, those TVs had a fair bit of depth as they got larger. With modern homes getting smaller and smaller, it's simply not viable to keep these things.

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO As much as I enjoy playing on OG hardware, those massive tube TVs are NOT missed by me. Took my Pops, brother and myself to haul our 36" and 30" tubes from the damn basement to our entrance lobby (where they were sold/junked). Since I was the strongest they made me hold the front of the TV while they grabbed the sides. Not only were the joints ridiculously heavy but the weight distribution was entirely at the front.

Repped for the arm strength! :pimp:
Yeah, those babies are super heavy in that size range. I found a Toshiba 40+ inch CRT in the street that someone left as they were moving homes. I've never seen a glass tube that big so I took it home and barely fit through the doorway, no joke. Anyway, I looked up the info for the TV and the manual says it weighs 154 lbs. :wow:

It's resting on a sturdy stand in the living room. It's a 1995 model so the best options are composite and S-video. What I really enjoy is that this is the "rounded" tube glass so I can play nes light gun games on a big *** screen.

Repped for the arm strength! :pimp:
Yeah, those babies are super heavy in that size range. I found a Toshiba 40+ inch CRT in the street that someone left as they were moving homes. I've never seen a glass tube that big so I took it home and barely fit through the doorway, no joke. Anyway, I looked up the info for the TV and the manual says it weighs 154 lbs. :wow:

It's resting on a sturdy stand in the living room. It's a 1995 model so the best options are composite and S-video. What I really enjoy is that this is the "rounded" tube glass so I can play nes light gun games on a big *** screen.

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO Care to tell us how the hell you even managed to get that joint off the ground, let alone the crib? :lol:

If you have some serious electronic skills, there are people setting up RGB via SCART on those TVs. Fairly involved process and you'd need advanced electronics knowledge but you can't beat RGB on a CRT.

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO Care to tell us how the hell you even managed to get that joint off the ground, let alone the crib? :lol:

If you have some serious electronic skills, there are people setting up RGB via SCART on those TVs. Fairly involved process and you'd need advanced electronics knowledge but you can't beat RGB on a CRT.

Oh man...it wasn't easy :lol:
We had to stuff it into the backseat of a Hyundai Accent with both front seats pushed all the way to the front, we could barely sit in them and the gas/brake pedals were a nightmare.

I'm definitely interested in those mods but I'm not well versed in TV electronics. That would be a great project to do if I had spare cash and a TV pro guy who'd be willing to take it on.

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO You sure it was a 40" bro? The 30" and 36" Sony CRTs needed a damn truck or a vehicle with a lift gate or sliding door. I'm assuming the Accent is a hatch right? :lol:

A pro TV guy could do the work for you with the schematics. But then you'd have to get the sucker to him. :ohwell:

TURBO UNO TURBO UNO You sure it was a 40" bro? The 30" and 36" Sony CRTs needed a damn truck or a vehicle with a lift gate or sliding door. I'm assuming the Accent is a hatch right? :lol:

A pro TV guy could do the work for you with the schematics. But then you'd have to get the sucker to him. :ohwell:

No man, this was the sedan version! I'm just glad the rear doors open all the way wide and that the rear seats sink in deep. Remember, we had to slide the front seats forward all the way in order for the TV to slide in.

I'm still kicking myself for not taking the TV earlier in the day as the owners taped the remote control to the top of the TV. Some jerk walking by must have taken it or thrown it away just for fun. I didn't stop by until 9pm.

I don't know if the TV repair shops know how to work on these old ones but I suppose I could ask for their older more experienced workers to see if they can do it. I know I'll get strange looks from them but it's worth it if I can get RGB in that size tube screen.

No man, this was the sedan version! I'm just glad the rear doors open all the way wide and that the rear seats sink in deep. Remember, we had to slide the front seats forward all the way in order for the TV to slide in.

I'm still kicking myself for not taking the TV earlier in the day as the owners taped the remote control to the top of the TV. Some jerk walking by must have taken it or thrown it away just for fun. I didn't stop by until 9pm.

I don't know if the TV repair shops know how to work on these old ones but I suppose I could ask for their older more experienced workers to see if they can do it. I know I'll get strange looks from them but it's worth it if I can get RGB in that size tube screen.

Lol that's crazy brother, you should've taken a photo to show Hyundai what can fit in that ride. :lol: Maybe they'd hook you up with free oil changes.

Peep this thread for injecting RGB onto TVs with just Composite or S-Video.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155&sid=fdff437bd79e74fc34060617a7efb464

Back
Top Bottom