The RETRO Gaming Thread!

joystick or simon says?

maxresdefault.jpg

cereal-gif.1975223

I haven't been following XBox Live! but PSN has been pushing digital downloads heavily. They're hooking these young cats on the convenience of digital downloads and I wouldn't be surprised if the iteration after PS5 is digital only. :smh:

Not even surprised, more like EXPECTED.............hell PS5 and Xbox 2? (whatever it'll be called) may indeed by digital only, especially since I'm reading new reports about Next Gen. Console gaming moving to "cloud stream gaming" as a new gaming tech. of the future (especially from the Xbox end).

Even Nintendo has begun experimenting with "cloud stream gaming" with their deal with Capcom for "streaming" a port of Resident Evil 7 to the Switch.

So it's coming.......unfortunately, not even Nintendo will be immune from this movement either.

Not even surprised, more like EXPECTED.............hell PS5 and Xbox 2/whatever it'll be called may indeed by digital only, especially since I'm reading new reports about Next Gen. Console gaming moving to "cloud stream gaming" as a new gaming tech. of the future (especially from the Xbox end).

Yes sir, the idea is that with internet bandwidth going up you may not even need an actual console to render the game. Just a screen to display your gaming session while you play on a cloud/server based virtual console/machine.

I think SONY and MS won't risk the next iteration going digital only but it's possible a .5 version will. SONY was already on record saying that 60% of their software revenue has been digital.

I feel like the GameStops, Best Buys, and Wal-Marts of the world would be hella salty if the console manufacturers took them out of the video game selling business. Especially GameStop. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something to keep physical media in play.

I feel like the GameStops, Best Buys, and Wal-Marts of the world would be hella salty if the console manufacturers took them out of the video game selling business. Especially GameStop. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something to keep physical media in play.

Gamestop is already 2 steps away from going-out-of-business, since they're still in the process of selling most of their ownership to a 3rd party asset collections company to pay off most of their debts.

Sure they'll fight it, but it won't stop the trend.

Wal-Mart and Best Buy will live.........physical consoles will still exist after all, and Best Buy is an electronics store primarily while Wal-Mart sells more than electronics and games

I will forever be stalking swapt meets, thrift stores and garage sales. Hunting for games is part of the fun.

I read this earlier this morning, and they're still a long-*** thread of comments on my FB timeline post of this article amongst my friends that are debating over this at this moment.

This is crazy man, crazy

It was inevitable as we discussed. These cats want to push subscription services heavily. :smh:

Gonna be forced to go out and smell the fresh (or polluted) air at this rate. :lol:

Can someone break that Xbox news down to me, I dont really follow....

They are coming out with two versions of the next system but one is cheaper and less powerful and relies on the cloud? They are also saying there will be no difference like the X vs the OG?

Sorry im slow.

They are coming out with two versions of the next system but one is cheaper and less powerful and relies on the cloud? They are also saying there will be no difference like the X vs the OG?

Sorry im slow.

Basically "Xbox Scarlet" will have both a console version and a "Steam Box" version, and they'll both perform at the same performance quality as each other. The console will have higher performance next gen. hardware (duh) while the "steam box" version will be utilizing network infrastructure to deliver the same high performance gaming as next. gene hardware itself.

From what it looks like, Microsoft wants to go head-to-head with BOTH Sony Playstation and Steam/Valve............which is gutsy as hell since Microsoft is getting beaten out by BOTH OF THEM in their individual demographic markets currently.

At least Nintendo stays in their own lane whenever they release a new console to the market, Microsoft is just trying to fire shots at everyone DESPITE everyone kicking Microsoft down to the floor.

Sorry im slow.

One device can play physical media while the other will require a subscription to Live! in order to stream content. The latter device is essentially a terminal so the graphical quality should be on par or possibly even better than the former - depending on what type of virtual machine configurations they run on their servers.

The online only device has the caveat of requiring an internet connection at all times and will be prone to lag, network traffic, etc...

I think Xbox might of made something like the PlayStation tv. The pstv streams ur PS4 games. But it’s also a console as it plays ps vita games. I haven’t seen anyone mention this yet. But ms is saying they perfected streaming. Cause ps now really sucks lol. So If the device is half streaming but with some power of a console like the pstv. Also allowing you to use an external device for storage to download ur games from gamepass...

The ps tv is a great device, it’s really a console. I won’t buy the streaming device but I will buy the new Xbox.

The PS4/vita/pstv was really the Nintendo Switch, and ms Scarlett...but they stopped caring about the vita and tv and focused on the PS4.

^^^
Right, MS is saying that collision detection, input processing and maybe 2-3 other things will be done on the 'terminal'/lesser console's side.

bigjny88 bigjny88 I wouldn't necessarily call the Scarlett 'Steam Box' a broke boi console. In the longer run it might actually cost the end user several hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than the device that can play physical media. I can easily see them offering different types of user experiences based on varying subscription fees.

Back
Top Bottom