The Tragedy of Allen Iverson.

Originally Posted by psk2310

Waste of talent if you ask me. I know personally inside Gtown, Thompson tried reaching this kid to help him grow & take advantage of the free education, but dude was lost then. His career can be summed up as runnning really fast in place without ever going anywhere...

Waste of talent? Do you know what this man did on the court for the 76ers? Without ever going anywhere, he made it to the finals. Off the court he could have done a lot more, but he did his job on the court.

Originally Posted by durantula

Waste of talent if you ask me. I know personally inside Gtown, Thompson tried reaching this kid to help him grow & take advantage of the free education, but dude was lost then. His career can be summed up as runnning really fast in place without ever going anywhere...

Waste of talent? Do you know what this man did on the court for the 76ers? Without ever going anywhere, he made it to the finals. Off the court he could have done a lot more, but he did his job on the court.
Not really. He could never put his pride aside and realize in order to win championships you have to sacrifice part of your game to make others better around you.

Yes he's one of the greatest individual talents to step on the court, but he refused to change his game and be apart of a winning environment.  No one ever wanted to play with Iverson and for good reason.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by durantula

Not really. He could never put his pride aside and realize in order to win championships you have to sacrifice part of your game to make others better around you.

Yes he's one of the greatest individual talents to step on the court, but he refused to change his game and be apart of a winning environment.  No one ever wanted to play with Iverson and for good reason.
I understand where you are coming from, but did you read the 2nd article? The guy said A.I. was one of the best teammates he ever had.

I was never a big fan of Allen Iverson but it's sad to see how his life is falling apart.

Originally Posted by Wade187

Man, AI wasn't the best role model, and to be honest had he grown up he could've been a much better ball player, and person. But one thing you can't deny is that the man was a icon, not just because of his skills on the court. He stood for something, weather you see it as negative or not is up to you, but his soul, and heart made him who he is. Even now at rock bottom, and even though in our eyes he never grew up, he stood by his beliefs and ultimately was a man about his. Yeah a lot of players come from nothing, but AI as selfish as he seemed lived for his people (which is why he is at rock bottom), his people took advantage, but for 15 years not only was he living right, but he can really say all his people were too. These people all came from nothing, he brought them out of the hell of poverty and changed all their life. He's simply a hood dude, and that comes with a lot of bad traits, but too often everyone ignores his good ones. In a place where it's easier to fall into the negative than the positive, he made a decent person out of his self. When he made it out he stayed true to himself, and his people. Simply a man who is who he is, and stands by what he believes. Weather they be right or wrong, you can't deny that's admirable. In a world today, where all these dudes is out here pretending for entertainment purposes, molding themselves to appeal to the masses, AI is missed. Nobodies real anymore, there's no personality, everything is tainted to acquire the proper "image". I appreciate him for what he was, flaws and all. 

Damn this is written horribly.*whether*The "weather" you are using is intended for how the climate is like outside

30t6p3b.gif

Sad to read but now this all just making me realize that Iverson accomplished all the things he did in the NBA and he was just 6'0 and 165 lbs 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

idk why it's shocking for me to realize it now since I'm 22 yrs old and started watching NBA in detail back in 2000 when AI was at the height of his prime but it's crazy to know he was ballin like that in the NBA and he was just size of a normal average man compared to all of these freak of nature athletes. Was never really a fan of his but it kinda makes me respect his game a lot more now 
pimp.gif

Hard to feel sorry for someone who made 150 millToo bad he couldn't manage his money and his attitude burned so many bridgesIf he was a good person, based on talent, he should be in the league right now if Fisher at 37 still is

I could say a lot about this topic but I'll leave it at this: Allen had good intentions but was self centered and immature. If he had a positive father figure in his life he'd probably have a statue somewhere in Philly. Lack of humility caused his demise.

Originally Posted by kvsm23vs24

Man, AI wasn't the best role model, and to be honest had he grown up he could've been a much better ball player, and person. But one thing you can't deny is that the man was a icon, not just because of his skills on the court. He stood for something, weather you see it as negative or not is up to you, but his soul, and heart made him who he is. Even now at rock bottom, and even though in our eyes he never grew up, he stood by his beliefs and ultimately was a man about his. Yeah a lot of players come from nothing, but AI as selfish as he seemed lived for his people (which is why he is at rock bottom), his people took advantage, but for 15 years not only was he living right, but he can really say all his people were too. These people all came from nothing, he brought them out of the hell of poverty and changed all their life. He's simply a hood dude, and that comes with a lot of bad traits, but too often everyone ignores his good ones. In a place where it's easier to fall into the negative than the positive, he made a decent person out of his self. When he made it out he stayed true to himself, and his people. Simply a man who is who he is, and stands by what he believes. Weather they be right or wrong, you can't deny that's admirable. In a world today, where all these dudes is out here pretending for entertainment purposes, molding themselves to appeal to the masses, AI is missed. Nobodies real anymore, there's no personality, everything is tainted to acquire the proper "image". I appreciate him for what he was, flaws and all. 

Damn this is written horribly.*whether*The "weather" you are using is intended for how the climate is like outside
Lol. My fault Mr. Mosby

Not surprised at all. Every other month we get a story like this and these are just the higher profile athletes. It's sad, but it is what it is with these guys. They made their own bed.

Originally Posted by jonwin

Sad to read but now this all just making me realize that Iverson accomplished all the things he did in the NBA and he was just 6'0 and 165 lbs 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

idk why it's shocking for me to realize it now since I'm 22 yrs old and started watching NBA in detail back in 2000 when AI was at the height of his prime but it's crazy to know he was ballin like that in the NBA and he was just size of a normal average man compared to all of these freak of nature athletes. Was never really a fan of his but it kinda makes me respect his game a lot more now 
pimp.gif
Exactly. These dudes talking about he wasn't heroic. If he didn't represent the people, who has? This dude had every kid out there thinking if they put their hearts into something they could be great. Prior to him kids was dreaming of growing to be a giant and being able to fly like Mike. AI showed everybody that hard work pays off, dedicate yourself to a dream and it could pay off if you put your heart in it. When it comes to sports, if your superstar and your known for your heart just as much as any other part of your game there's really nothing more heroic than that. Add the fact that your body is smaller than your heart, and you have one of the most heroic athletes of all time. At the end of the day that's what he was, a athlete. So y'all can stop with the other nonsense as if it's relevant to you, as if dude was ever suppose to be anything else to you other than a ball player. You knew him for his job, so judge him based off that. Not off his life as if you truly know the man.

Originally Posted by krazyl3gz

Just another athlete who couldn't live within his means. rose that grew through concrete.

I can relate to a lot of his hood story...
...he's a champion to the N's that grew up in that bull !%!% and went to private schools to play ball.

In D.C. my "ball" was soccer, but %$%$ it - that's what got me out the hood...

...he was an inspiration.

You'll never see me look down on Bubba...

...ever.

You can look at it as a tragedy or "self destruction" depending on which side of the fence you're on. I myself am a huge AI fan. He's my favorite athlete ever, I got to see his career grow and decay. The saddest part for me is knowing that everything he ever did, whatever sacrifices he made, never got him a championship. I remember being a 10 year old crying when they lost to the Lakers in the finals hah. Sucks to see where he's at right now, I wish him the best.

The saddest part isn't him losing money, his game, fame, or failing to win a championship.

The saddest part is him never maturing.  There's plenty of people that come from the bottom but its about what you do when you get to the top.  I really don't wanna hear that "product of his environment" stuff because he's been a millionaire for almost 15 years now. My dude really should've took advantage of the opportunities he had when he was on top.  As great as he was he could've been better...he should still be playing.  He should have wayyyyy more money. 

Its not the braids or the tats its the immaturity that never changed.  It would've been great to see AI put it all together as a man.  And this is coming from a guy who idolized Iverson.  I had the Questions, I'm from VA and was called "lil AI", still today my favorite bday present was getting a Iverson jersey and going to the watch him kill the Wizards.  But now that I'm older I can see why he's struggled at the end of his career. 

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

and to be honest had he grown up he could've been a much better ball player, and person.

Definitely.

Guy never grew up and when it was all said and done he didn't wish to assimilate his game for the better and was too stubborn, once he left the Sixers he just wasn't the same.
Then again his mentality is what made him on the court. The mental toughness, the stubbornness is what made him so cold, what made him keep attacking after taking hits, play through pain, disregard injuries, and just go out there and play his heart out. It isn't as easy as most think to completely change your mentality after so many years, especially when that's what you've been praised for, and that's what has made you great. So although I wish he could've adjusted, I do understand why he couldn't, I do understand that growing up for him meant becoming a shell of what was once great, that carries into all aspects of life when your life revolves around the court. 

I can see your point...

It's hard to feel sorry for someone because they were rich?

Money is the cure to everything right?

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

It's hard to feel sorry for someone because they were rich?

Money is the cure to everything right?
Of course it's hard to feel sorry for the rich. Most people are too busy feeling jealous of them. Money isn't the cure to everything, but it's definitely a drastic help to anyone who is mature enough to handle it or smart enough to find people who can handle it. America is a capitalist society which by default means that everyone is strapped with a financial burden just to live here. It wasn't like Iverson got a lump sum to blow at the start of his career. He was a fool year after year to blow all of that money. But at least he can serve as a a good "bad example" for people to follow. Keepin' it real has indeed gone wrong...

I was done when this fool literally asked how the hell he was supposed to make his teammates better by practicing. When I realized that he was being serious, all the sympathy I had for him disappeared. Not one fiber in his body appeared to be grateful for what he had gained. Now look at him. Not his financial situation. Look at his mental situation. He probably still thinks he lived like he was supposed to a tee. Screw the fact that he could have set up future generations in his family. He made it out the hood right. Let's see if they can too, I guess.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I had the Questions, I'm from VA and was called "lil AI", still today my favorite bday present was getting a Iverson jersey and going to the watch him kill the Wizards.  But now that I'm older I can see why he's struggled at the end of his career. 
sly.gif

Back
Top Bottom