The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Imitation is straight trash. The only way I'm listening to that song is if I'm in the club on one :lol:. I would agree his bottom sings would be from this album.

Physical copy shipped 
nthat.gif

Pitchfork echoed what I felt with his songwriting on the new album.

There's something to be said about being able to poignantly get your point across in the music, while keeping your roots. ICFMF, Acquainted, Tell Your Friends, Real Life, Often, all those records are vintage weeknd records just written in a more accessible way. You can actually sing those records, and they work on radio because of how mature they are from a writing perspective. But they still have that XO base.

The records are still laced with XO ****. ICFMF is all about being high off coke, The Hills is vintage, but he just wrote them better on this album and that's what I mean by his writing being more mature. It's still there, just more colorfully disguised. 

Pitchfork echoed what I felt with his songwriting on the new album.

There's something to be said about being able to poignantly get your point across in the music, while keeping your roots. ICFMF, Acquainted, Tell Your Friends, Real Life, Often, all those records are vintage weeknd records just written in a more accessible way. You can actually sing those records, and they work on radio because of how mature they are from a writing perspective. But they still have that XO base.

The records are still laced with XO ****. ICFMF is all about being high off coke, The Hills is vintage, but he just wrote them better on this album and that's what I mean by his writing being more mature. It's still there, just more colorfully disguised. 
The man said himself: the songwriting is more accessible, not necessarily "better or stronger writing"

AT: For a while, I didn't focus on the commercial success. I really was going at the punk aspect of everything, which worked, but I felt like it got redundant. I owe it to people—to my family, to myself—to make music that makes me feel good and also is a little easier to understand.

Weeknd never refuted Pitchfork's claim that his writing is more mature on this album in that interview. Unless I missed him saying that.

Writing a record that's easier to understand is the point. To keep your same base and roots, while writing music that's easier to understand IS growth. That shows maturity. 

The prime example of this is the Can't feel my face joint. He made a pop hit, that's easier to understand but still has its XO roots with it being about being high off cocaine. That's maturity in songwriting. That's growth. 

Weeknd never refuted Pitchfork's claim that his writing is more mature on this album in that interview. Unless I missed him saying that.

Writing a record that's easier to understand is the point. To keep your same base and roots, while writing music that's easier to understand IS growth. That shows maturity. 

The prime example of this is the Can't feel my face joint. He made a pop hit, that's easier to understand but still has its XO roots with it being about being high off cocaine. That's maturity in songwriting. That's growth. 
It's definitely "more mature" because he's using actual song structure. Real choruses, he admitted all of that in the New York TImes interview

I don't think that necessarily means it is "growth". Again, I think it shows off his versatility, to be able to package his content differently, to be accessible by the mainstream

Kiss Land is a prime example of growth IMO, it just wasn't received well by the main stream. If you're using commercial success as a barometer of growth, then we aren't having the same discussion. I don't care about being well received by middle America, that doesn't prove anything to me in terms of growth as an artist and musician 

The actual lyrics of ICFMF are really weak IMO. I don't see how that's anything groundbreaking compared to his past work

Last edited:
@Vincent Van Ho You're confusing opinions as fact.

I don't think KL showed growth. I look at it as a misstep.

BBTM, on the other hand, is a huge leap for him musically.

In 2011, if you told me Abel was capable of making an "Earned It" or a "ICFMF", I would've laughed.

Now look.

@Vincent Van Ho You're confusing opinions as fact.

I don't think KL showed growth. I look at it as a misstep.

BBTM, on the other hand, is a huge leap for him musically.

In 2011, if you told me Abel was capable of making an "Earned It" or a "ICFMF", I would've laughed.

Now look.
What do you mean? I never said anything is hard cold fact, every thing is my opinion

Kiss Land was a misfire if you are judging it through the lens of commercial success. I don't use that lens, I am strictly judging the content and lyricism 

I am not the only person who thinks Kiss Land was a sign of growth

You say all these things with no reasoning, I'm not sure how to reply to "BBTM is a huge leap for him musically". Well, OK?

It's definitely "more mature" because he's using actual song structure. Real choruses, he admitted all of that in the New York TImes interview

I don't think that necessarily means it is "growth". Again, I think it shows off his versatility, to be able to package his content differently, to be accessible by the mainstream

Kiss Land is a prime example of growth IMO, it just wasn't received well by the main stream. If you're using commercial success as a barometer of growth, then we aren't having the same discussion. I don't care about being well received by middle America, that doesn't prove anything to me in terms of growth as an artist and musician 

The actual lyrics of ICFMF are really weak IMO. I don't see how that's anything groundbreaking compared to his past work
I actually thought that records such as adaptation, Belong to the world, Tears in the rain, and a few others were actually steps up in songwriting as well from the trilogy. I loved kissland. The reason why it was panned was because it didn't sell well. Had he had some pop momentum with it, people would have lauded it because it would have sold better. But that's how the biz works, that's another story though.

What i'm saying is that, if you can make an album full of records that middle america can sing and love, without sacrificing your identity, then that's undeniably growth to me as a songwriter. He's making pop records that they can sing, that's growth to me. These records are going to reach more people because more people can sing them and they work on radio, but they still are XO at the core and that's the sign of more mature songwriting and song making. Earned it has worked incredibly well with middle america, but that's straight XO **** at the core of it. That's another example of him maturing as a songwriter. 

I actually thought that records such as adaptation, Belong to the world, Tears in the rain, and a few others were actually steps up in songwriting as well from the trilogy. I loved kissland. The reason why it was panned was because it didn't sell well. Had he had some pop momentum with it, people would have lauded it because it would have sold better. But that's how the biz works, that's another story though.

What i'm saying is that, if you can make an album full of records that middle america can sing and love, without sacrificing your identity, then that's undeniably growth to me as a songwriter. He's making pop records that they can sing, that's growth to me. These records are going to reach more people because more people can sing them and they work on radio, but they still are XO at the core and that's the sign of more mature songwriting and song making. Earned it has worked incredibly well with middle america, but that's straight XO **** at the core of it. That's another example of him maturing as a songwriter. 
I think we're just going in circles at this point because I agree with you to a certain degree. I just think I characterize it as diversifying and showing off his versatility. The actual product IMO is not "growth" in terms of the actual songwriting

But like I said, I do agree that the project is still "XO", just packaged differently 

A part of me wants to believe this dude doesn't laugh or smile. But reading that interview and seeing videos like this:

I can't help but be happy for young bruh. Doggy made it and will continue to shine :smokin

BOTTOM 5 THO:
Losers
Dark Times
CFMF
Live For
Initiation

Back
Top Bottom