The xx - Coexist.... releases 9-11!!!!!!!Official Thread

Anyone else go to Terminal 5 tonight?

The xx put on a great performance. Opened with Angels. I'm pretty sure they played every song off their debut and like five or six new tracks. Most of the tracks from the debut album were tweaked at least a little bit, some a lot. 'Crystalised' comes to mind. They really freaked that track. The new live version is incredible. The new songs all sound pretty good. You definitely hear the more prominent club influence throughout. My favorite tracks on the night were 'Crystalised', 'Infinity', 'Reunion', 'VCR', and the block of 'Night Time' transitioning into 'I'll Take Care of U' into a new track.

Prior to tonight, I had seen the xx perform three times. Those three times were great but there wasn't much variation between the three. Understandable since they basically toured for two years straight following the release of their debut and what changes they made to their live show during the tour was superficial. I remember during one of the shows, Oliver said something about having to make changes to the songs to work in larger auditoriums and festivals. The songs off the debut were never meant to be played to such large audiences. With that being said, they did a fine job pumping up 'Basic Space' and even added a really excellent ending track to their sets. This time around, they came prepared. Everything sounds a bit more maximal. The emphasis on texture and space is still there but the sound, for a live show, was much more engaging. I credit Jamie xx with this completely. Prior to this tour, he was in the background. Knocking out the beats and doing a fine job holding the songs together. Not anymore. He's clearly taken the wheel. Every song, old and new, has his mark.

Going to see Jamie xx at Warm Up MoMA PS1 this Saturday. It's $15 if tix are still available. Free for MoMA members.

The sound and lighting was great, worked well towards creating the proper ambiance. Some people found that boring but I found it to be intimate as most of the songs are.

The xx have basically cemented their place in my "automatic support" category.

Terminal 5 in the summer is a sweatshop. The Staten Island show is going to be amazing due to the venue structure but well, it's in Staten Island so I don't know whether to make it out there.

+1 MoMA PS1. The Just Blaze one is going to be sick as well.

There's a show in Staten Island? I'm aware of a Bronx show later in the year but there's another?

I'll be at the Jamie xx and John Talabot show at LPR. I think they're both just dj'ing.

I can not wait to see them live on friday.

Oh and regarding tracks, lets not forget about the Matthew Dear Remix of VCR, which is amongst my personal favorites.

Tried to resist the urge to listen but I couldn't. 'Chained' is too nice! Man between this and 'Angels' it's shaping up to be the album of the year.

No more listening to their new songs for me until the album drops.

When you get their first album make sure you get all of the bonus tracks as well, some of those bonus tracks are my favorites of theirs.
Hot Like Fire, Do You Mind and Insects :pimp:

I love their first album but never heard any of these bonus tracks. I must check these out for sure.

Not listening to Chained until the album drops.

I remember enjoying their first album, been a long time since I last listened to it. Haven't heard the remix and jamie xx single stuff. Best place to be able to purchase those would be?

Saw them live last night. great performance.

I think their second album will be amazing, a few tracks were played and from those the baselines are just :wow:. Agreed with Boys noize, that Jamie's larger influence is unquestionable and they have been experimenting like crazy. Very eclectic music, but still true the contents of the first album. Can't wait!

All I have to say about Coexist:

width

This album is so incredible. They took ALL the things I loved about the first album and just did it 10x better on this.

Unfold, Swept Away, Our Song -- I don't think anymore has to be said. What an amazing way to close out an album.

Last edited:
This album is so incredible. They took ALL the things I loved about the first album and just did it 10x better on this.
Unfold, Swept Away, Our Song -- I don't think anymore has to be said. What an amazing way to close out an album.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

SO GOOD.

After one listen, Unfold is the one that left the biggest impression of the tracks I had not heard already.

Like their debut, I feel this is going to be one of those records where I'll have a new favorite track every month. Each track is strong on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom