This Frank Ocean still goes hard.....*Official Thread*

Be Yourself 1:27
Good Guy 1:07
Pretty Sweet 2:39
Facebook Story 1:09
Close to You 1:26
Godspeed 2:58
Futura Free for five minutes ish

They're skits and interludes. Then a few songs got their own little 20-40 seconds of nothing. So it's 15-20 minutes of useless ****.

I like interludes but when the full 3-5 minute songs sound like interludes, I don't need a minute or two minute interlude along with it.

Voodoo was a great "interlude" and Acura Integral was a great "interlude"

I've heard people call this great elevator music. Is that a compliment? Most of the music in elevators or dull and boring.

And just for the hell of it, what genre would you guys categorize this under?
How are those tracks meaningless? They all have a theme behind it, mostly about alienation and heartbreak.
Other than Facebook Story and the last five minutes of Futura Free, Frank is actually singing. Yeah they are short, but poetry can be short or long.
This would be considered minimalist avant garde R&B, no idea where u heard the elevator music comment from.

Ah. Got it. That's the difference--I don't call those skits or interludes.

And to call something like Godspeed useless is just crazy to me.

I can't agree with letting the length of a song disqualify it from being a song (Within reason). As said, he's singing on all those. To call them skits is bizzare.

After a few listens to both Endless and Blond I'd have to give the edge to Endless. I'm a sucker for Frank's older work, and Endless is definitely doing it for me more than Blond. That's not to say, Blond has more than a handful of tracks I genuinely enjoy including Nikes, Ivy, Self Control, Nights and Godspeed.

I think the issue with Blond being a bit more stripped down, is that it gets a little cluttered in trying to nail what exactly each song sounds like. The latter tracks such as Siegfried and White Ferrari kind of just go in one ear and out the other. That's why tracks where his voice is left to its own devices (Self Control, Ivy) and songs with a heavier percussion (Nikes, Nights) click easier for me. This work is definitely not for someone expecting Frank more familiar sonics.

That being said, I NEEEEED a CDQ of endless dammit.

Endless > Blonde

Blonde is boring at time and on some weird ****. It got some highs then some lows. Still can't get with the chipmunk voice in Nikes.

Still trying to get into this album.

Maybe after a few more deep listens I'll feel differently but so far I am underwhelmed.

You would think more rappers and singers would leave there label.To do the samething as Frank just did.People just have a natuaral slave mentality.Its like telling a slave your free now.But he decides to stay because he's use to it.With all of the technology we have today.With the easy access to filming videos,streams,selling your songs independently online.Theres no need for label really.If your a up and coming with a lot of talent.You should only sign a deal for 1-3 albums max.Once your name is big,you need to break away from them chains.The only reason why i feel strongly about this.Is that i seen Slim thug and Nelly talk about different artist.And the decisions they made and would make in the industry right now.Nelly talked about what he would if he started popping in this era.He said he doesn't regret going with a major when he came out.But he said if his first single was huge in the Internet era.This is what he would do.He compared his first single to Drakes Best i ever had.And to Cheif Keef Don't like.He said if your first single takes off that big.You shouldn't sign with a if your not already signed to major.He said it doesn't make any sense.He said you can tour off those singles alone to get the bread you need from the label.Its real funny seeing that most people say that you need the big machine to get your name global.Not necessarily when your song is getting hundreds and thousands of spins on the radio before you even sign with a label.Thats the reason they wanna sign you.Its because they want to make money of the hit record you recorded without them.There just going to give you loan,and take a percentage of your earnings.Just because your lazy and don't want to do the work the label is going to do_Or atleast have a team to help you do that.Drake and J Prince Jr could have JayZ and Puff money by now.If they wouldn't have signed with Cashmoney.The Cashmoney signing just put more hands in his future earnings.They told Nelly if Drake didn't sign with Cashmoney.He wouldn't be who he is today.He disagreed and said Best i ever had was blowing up before he signed with CM.He also said Drake would've been huge without Cashmoney,or without a label.Hes had help with some writers.But dude is hella consistent.

Funny and good thread on Frank playing Def Jam.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/fran...to-a-lawsuit-upend-the-music-industry.457411/

As an independent artist, Ocean’s share of the profits leapt from 14% all the way up to 70%; factor in that the album is projected to move between 225,000 to 250,000 copies in its opening week
eek.gif
This won't end well for Frank.

These music execs are bloodthirsty savages.

Frank played this so perfectly. It's ocean's 11 type ****. Artists should follow his example. 

Still haven't gotten to Endless yet.

I was feeling some of the same critical sentiments towards Blonde that have been expressed here but the more I listened to it, the more I **** with the whole thing.  Real turning point was that good first zooted listening session. I went from only rocking with Nights, White Ferrari, Futua Free and Solo/Solo Reprise to ******* with the whole thing pretty tough.

I wouldn't describe Blond as peaks and valleys, more like jumping platform to platform. The changes and differences in sound from track to track can throw you off. 

Last edited:
Funny and good thread on Frank playing Def Jam.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/fran...to-a-lawsuit-upend-the-music-industry.457411/

As an independent artist, Ocean’s share of the profits leapt from 14% all the way up to 70%; factor in that the album is projected to move between 225,000 to 250,000 copies in its opening week

:wow:

This won't end well for Frank.

These music execs are bloodthirsty savages.

He pulled a Michael/Prince move outsmarting them folks. They don't ever take a L easy. :lol:

I really wish he'd kept the album title Boys Don't Cry. The album cover and subject matter = Boys Don't Cry

My ex came through last night. Smoked a few bowls, drank some remy and then I played this album like "aye check this out".

Mannn man man :smh:

Self Control is the one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom