Thoughts on the Johnathon Martin - Ritchie Incognito situation?

Martin was smart for handling it the way he did. Now Incognito is off the team. Way worse than any slap on the wrist the Dolphins would have gave him.

NFL is a not the streets. Street justice will land you in jail, martin did exactly what he was supposed to do, and he exposed the entire crappy dolphins organization too.

good for him.

Martin was smart for handling it the way he did. Now Incognito is off the team. Way worse than any slap on the wrist the Dolphins would have gave him.

NFL is a not the streets. Street justice will land you in jail, martin did exactly what he was supposed to do, and he exposed the entire crappy dolphins organization too.

good for him.

Ritchie will eventually land another team.

Last edited:
Whats street about boxing it out between two grown men, acting like teammates never fought before and went on with their job

When you let someone extort you for 15k, you have to draw the line somewhere. Timeline of the trip is irrelevant.
[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]Giants’ Amukamara: 2012 Cold-Tub Incident Was Not Bullying, Just Fun[/h1][h6]November 5, 2013 1:45 PM[/h6]
Share on email
View Comments

prince-amukamara.jpg

Prince Amukamara (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

[h5]Filed under[/h5]Giants, NFL, Sports, Syndicated Sports, Syndication

[h5]Related tags[/h5]Antrel Rolle, Bullying, Hazing, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jonathan Martin, New York Giants, Prince Amukamara, Richie Incognito, Steve Weatherford

[h5]Giants Central[/h5]Shop for Giants Gear
Buy Giants Tickets

NFL Scoreboard
NFL Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – As the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin story continues to develop, Giants fans can’t help but think about an incident that took place at training camp last year, one that raised some eyebrows.

If you remember, and we’re sure that you do, second-year player Prince Amukamara was dumped into a cold tub by Jason Pierre-Paul. It was all caught on video by punter Steve Weatherford.

So was that bullying? Hazing? Good-natured fun? All off the above?

It’s not a black and white issue, that’s for sure.

But Amukamara has spoken, and he doesn’t believe that he was the victim of bullying in 2012.

“I was definitely trying to put myself in Jonathan’s shoes and see if it was identical to my situation,” the cornerback said on Monday. “Last year, with what I went through, I’m still sticking to my story. That wasn’t bullying at all. That was just fun in the locker room.”

Martin, an offensive tackle for the Dolphins, has left the team after Incognito allegedly harassed him with threatening text messages and voicemails that were racially-charged in nature.

Incognito has been suspended by Miami, and according to a report he may have played his last game as a Dolphin.

“There was nothing going over the line with us,” safety Antrel Rolle added. “It was a fun act. Other people took it and blew it up, but we know how we are here and what took place here. Definitely nowhere near the same circumstances that’s been going on down there.”

Amukamara clearly wasn’t happy about being thrown in ice-cold water, but he understands why it happened and harbors no ill will toward his teammates.

“If I had made a public outcry or something, that would have made it bullying,” Amukamara said, according to ESPN. “But right after I was in the tub, everything was OK. I think if it affected the way I was at work, or the way I interacted with the other players, that would have been different. But I never felt that way.”

Whats street about boxing it out between two grown men, acting like teammates never fought before and went on with their job

Because if you do that any other place other than a football field that assault.

If I have a disagreement with a coworker and we fight it out, we're both walking out in handcuffs.

Tom Coughlin unhappy with incident

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Tom Coughlin addressed the New York Giants on Monday morning about the Internet video that went viral of Jason Pierre-Paul dunking Prince Amukamara into a tub of ice recently in training camp.

Upset with the inappropriate language and behavior, Coughlin told his players to cease any further actions such as dumping rookies and young players into cold tubs.

"We can't have that anymore," Coughlin told reporters on Monday night. "I did see the tape. It is inappropriate on a couple of levels. First, the language was inappropriate, no doubt about that. Anytime you have a player that could be injured, that is not a good move and I would be concerned about that as well."

Amukamara, Pierre-Paul and Steve Weatherford, who tweeted the video this past weekend, all met with reporters on Monday and regretted how the video was interpreted by some outside the locker room as bullying or hazing.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...ew-york-giants-ice-tub-incident-inappropriate

Tom Coughlin needs to stop being so damn responsible.

Because if you do that any other place other than a football field that assault.

If I have a disagreement with a coworker and we fight it out, we're both walking out in handcuffs.

Stop, if cotton martin stood up for himself from the jump incognito wouldve respected him and this wouldnt be a story right now, incognito obviously knew dude was soft and took advantage of him

No, people think the locker room is the street and dont understand that it is a work place enviroment. This dude was on the "leadership committee", obviously the team acknowledged him to be a leader.

Chain of command.

"leadership council" -> coaches -> upper management

This wasnt a rift between 2 unknown players. It was a "higher up" and an average employee. What are people expecting? Meet him outside? Fight him in the locker room at the risk of being suspended without pay?

Like I said previously, Martin handled this professionally. The chain of command knew something was going on and did nothing, so he went above their head after options were exhausted.

Majority of NTers are unemployed and/or barely literate. Don't try to explain this to them; they think behaving like goons at work is acceptable just because others have done it in the past. Even if you do accept that, Martin is not a superstar player who will get special treatment and get away with everything. If someone like Tom Brady punches someone in the face, he'll get away with it (relatively speaking). Someone like Martin would get labeled a hothead and get cut from the team ASAP. This is too hard for a lot of people in this thread to understand

you also probably work in a cubicle, are expendable and/or can easily be replaced. these guys are genetically superior human beings and they are the best of the best in the world at what they do. there are only so many of them walking the earth. you think a team is going to call the police because a fight broke out in the locker room? lol. :rofl:

Last edited:
As much as the type of person we've learned Incognito is these past couple days, we've learned just as much about Martin.

He won't last in the NFL, too weak. Way too many players are busting there *** going thru all types of punishment just to make the practice squad while this dude is leaving the team. The NFL is a different animal, they can cut you anytime they want and there is heavy competition. Martin won't be on a roster 2 years from now.

As much as the type of person we've learned Incognito is these past couple days, we've learned just as much about Martin.

He won't last in the NFL, too weak. Way too many players are busting there *** going thru all types of punishment just to make the practice squad while this dude is leaving the team. The NFL is a different animal, they can cut you anytime they want and there is heavy competition. Martin won't be on a roster 2 years from now.

yup that's the saddest part of this whole situation. ritchie will find another team and martin wont be in the league for long.

I really feel as though Martin (if he chooses to play again) will be on an NFL roster before Incognito. I think Incognito will be done in the league. WAAAAY too much baggage.

Majority of NTers are unemployed and/or barely literate. Don't try to explain this to them; they think behaving like goons at work is acceptable just because others have done it in the past. Even if you do accept that, Martin is not a superstar player who will get special treatment and get away with everything. If someone like Tom Brady punches someone in the face, he'll get away with it (relatively speaking). Someone like Martin would get labeled a hothead and get cut from the team ASAP. This is too hard for a lot of people in this thread to understand

Your gonna get labled a hothead for standing up for yourself? Srs

Your gonna get labled a hothead for standing up for yourself? Srs

There's huge difference between how superstar players and average-mediocre players get labeled when they do something. Even within the star players, you have dudes like Tom Brady throwing tantrums on the field and cussing out coaches while getting called "emotional", while players like Dez Bryant get torn apart by the media and fans and are labeled "cancers".

Last edited:
Are folks now saying Martin did the right thing by giving up $15,000 willingly??

No, but he submitted to an overall culture that forces rookies to do that. If you think he's the only rookie who ever paid for something like that without really wanting to consent to it, then your just being blind to the culture that football produces.

Even if he never plays another down, what Martin did might end up being quite heroic in the sense that it could help bring end to the hazing culture that pervades NFL locker rooms. Of course, the only way to be heroic to NT'ers is throwing punches.

Wish I could post the whistle blower scene from She Hate Me.

A lot of these comments are eye opening. I really hope none of you guys have kids that may develop a mental illness, it really goes to show you that we as a society don't take it seriously enough until people get hurt.

The guy walked away from a million dollar job, there's issues there and it has nothing to do with being a "man" or "hard".

There's huge difference between how superstar players and average-mediocre players get labeled when they do something. Even within the star players, you have dudes like Tom Brady throwing tantrums on the field and cussing out coaches while getting called "emotional", while players like Dez Bryant get torn apart by the media and fans and are labeled "cancers".

Bad comparison,Those are totally different situations, those dudes are trying to win a football gm, nobody is getting "bullied" or extorted

Are folks now saying Martin did the right thing by giving up $15,000 willingly??
No, but he submitted to an overall culture that forces rookies to do that. If you think he's the only rookie who ever paid for something like that without really wanting to consent to it, then your just being blind to the culture that football produces.

I'm talking specifically about him giving up $15,000.  I don't care if he was a rookie or any other rookie that did it, that's beyond excessive and beyond the norms of hazing.  Like I said earlier, Martin was cool with the program so for the money aspect alone I find fault with Martin.  

Also, why are folks even trying to relate or incorporate the behavior of a normal corporate workplace environment procedures to what takes place in the locker room of sports, let alone football of all sports.  You can't and shouldn't compare the two.  Dudes in here acting like the element of street justice isn't used and more importantly TOLERATED to a certain extent in football.  When Andre Johnson pounded Cortland Finnegan into the ground a few years ago that was street justice and neither person was fired or terminated from the NFL.  They might have paid a penalty but neither was fired as if that were two employees squaring off in front of the break room.  You dudes gotta realize where your at, what your talking about and what is relatable. 

Nice 49ers tat bro, no tribal to match?

:lol:

I think many of us have been through some type of hazing with a sports team , frat, whatever and felt like it made you closer with your teammates and are glad you dealt with it.

Some of you seem to have trouble understanding degrees of what is and isn't appropriate. This just crossed many lines. You saying Martin is a grown *** man and should have dealt with it. What kind of grown man acts like Incognito did in these types of situations? Ya'll look at that and think "Oh yeah, that's how a man should act?"

This isn't prison. Some of you need to search out some strong male role models.

Last edited:
:lol:

I think many of us have been through some type of hazing with a sports team , frat, whatever and felt like it made you closer with your teammates and are glad you dealt with it.

Some of you seem to have trouble understanding degrees of what is and isn't appropriate. This just crossed many lines. You saying Martin is a grown *** man and should have dealt with it. What kind of grown man acts like Incognito did in these types of situations? Ya'll look at that and think "Oh yeah, that's how a man should act?"

This isn't prison. Some of you need to search out some strong male role models.

View media item 642581
According to NT, repeatedly threatening to kill someone is the same as this

there's a difference between hazing and bullying/threatening to kill someone.

there's just a certain line you don't cross...and this dude incognito is crossing it

you also probably work in a cubicle, are expendable and/or can easily be replaced. these guys are genetically superior human beings and they are the best of the best in the world at what they do. there are only so many of them walking the earth. you think a team is going to call the police because a fight broke out in the locker room? lol. :rofl:

gross

Back
Top Bottom