Thread about Jesus - Questions, Bible Verses and Prayer Requests

Does religion hinder progress?

To a degree.

It's kinda like race. 

We all want the same **** but these boxes are what keep us from getting there.
it CAN. by itself, no it doesnt. but like all things, once you add people...it gets jacked up. people hinder progress. People use things as scapegoats or tools to hinder that progress. Example: race by itself doesn't hinder progress. People will use  race to halt progress by saying this person isn't worthy of xyz because of their race.  The same thing applies to religion. My religion has made me stick to morals that honestly, i wouldn't if I wasn't a Christian. I'm tired of being broke, I would've stolen from those who have too much and are careless. I wouldn't be married by age 25 if it wasn't for my religion. And frankly, my religion put me in a position to get closer to God, and as of lately, this closeness and faith have REALLY been reaping benefits. The turnover from last year this time to now...is hardly believable. I was struggling last year in so many ways. SO many ways. Ive been on a journey since, and now literally, my cup runneth over. 

Some people will pidgeon-hole us Christians based on a small percentage of what they see. I'm not your stereotypical one myself. I curse, openly admit I sin left and right, and dont pretend I'm a completely changed person because  I'm a Christian. I am who I am, and understand God loves me for who I am. The holier-than-thou's are not keeping it real which of itself, is not  Christian belief. 

This is all obviously from my own perspective from my own religion tho. There are systems in place of course that try their best to stop progress. But then again...what kind of progress are we talking here? Racial relations? Progress spiritually? Progress as a nation compared to the world? Progress as individuals to better ourselves?

TL;DR - People hamper progress using things like religion or other demographics as tools to do so. There are many different ways to progress but none of them will be stopped by religion

Just wanted to chime in a bit for those that say that Bible is complex and or contradict itself. The Bible is very very meaty. If people could figure out the the meaning and message by one read through, they would never read it again. It's not meant for that. It's a blueprint on how to live one's life.  It contains every essential truth. Trying to read the Bible by yourself without the Holy Spirit is pointless. It will not make sense. As far as those that say the Bible contradicts itself, I humbly ask where and how it does? Our human minds are far too finite to fully comprehend things. Many people reject God due to the circumstances of the world. Murders, corruption, injustice etc. They will say, how can a good and loving God just sit back and let all this happen? Because they don't understand the bigger picture, they write off God and all that He is. I'm a Christian myself. As Christians, we are to be prepared for the persecution that comes along with pledging our allegiance to Christ. People will not like you, want to hear you and will often attack you for your beliefs. Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship. Religion is man reaching out to God by works whatever sort of actions to gain favor and acceptance. Christianity is the reverse, it is God reaching out to man and loving us even in our corrupt and sinful nature. There is absolutely nothing that I can do to save myself. We are corrupt my nature but God loves us even despite that. Another thing that turns people off about Christianity is how other "Christians" carry themselves and share their beliefs with non-believers. Bible-thumping is never, ever going to win anybody over. Arguing and being confrontational only hurts my witness. My job as a believer, is to share what I know with non-believers out of love, not hate or disdain. It's not my job to "convert" someone to Christianity or make them believe what I believe, it's to share my belief and plant the seed and love my fellow man. I appreciate threads like these, even though you will have those that well come in and post stuff that doesn't necessarily further the conversation. Been away from NT for years now but glad to be back on here. Peace to you dudes and ladies.
Beautifully said brutha.

"Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy? Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David. Behold, I made him a witness to the peoples, a leader and commander for the peoples. Behold, you shall call a nation that you do not know, and a nation that did not know you shall run to you, because of the Lord your God, and of the Holy One of Israel, for he has glorified you. "Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord , that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Isaiah 55:1‭-‬7

Back
Top Bottom