Tidal Streaming!!

Aint no way Jay took a loss 
laugh.gif

He bought it for like 56 and I read somewhere that its valued around 250 Million now

Lol at thinking a business firm is a shoe. Talking about flipping. Don't think it works like that.

We have no idea how much he invested and how much he would get if he left. He bought it with a few other rich cats. So he probably didn't lose, it's early still but it doesn't look like this is gonna go where he thought he could take it.

I've used TIDAL for almost a month now (free trial, will cancel) and I hear a difference when listening to Spotify, Pandora etc.. Has anyone else had this improved sound quality with this app?

i really need to stop talking to you because i keep overestimating your reading comprehension. if you SIGN, ITS YOUR FAULT. Taylor swift withdrew right? She withdrew long before tidal became a thing. If artists wanted to release their own content to fans for a small subscription, they didn't need tidal to do it. they just didn't see a need. 

also, if u acknowledge that the bulk of their money doesn't come from music, why do u keep talking about them getting shafted? thus far, we have...you believe these artists are getting robbed on deals that they signed for. ignoring writers??? I AM A WRITER! I AM A PRODUCER! you still don't understand your position here. there is nothing you can teach me about anything that goes on behind the scenes. you can regurgitate what you've heard somewhere online or from a kanye rant, but u cant tell me anything new. AND you're still wrong. In a nutshell, every song has a contract attached. 

if i produce and write a song, i now own 50% of the song. whoever mixed/engineered it will get 25% and the artist will get 25%. This is a very oversimplified split. Your celebrity will allow you to move those numbers around.  But don't generalize talking about who gets paid what because you clearly don't know. Nobody is giving writers a smaller piece of the pie, writers aint looking at online revenue saying "damn man i wish somebody made a new streaming service so i can get paid .0005 cents per play instead of .00005 cents per play." Because online isn't where we make our money. PLEAAAASEEE stop.

I didn't say artists shouldn't accept those deals, i only said they CHOSE to accept it...and then complained about it? Don't like it? Don't sign! PERIOD. how is this so hard for you to understand? If Jimmy Iovine popped up at my job right now and said TEK ill sign you to an in-house deal for $500,000 up front for a 10 year deal, but i own all of your publishing and royalties, appearances, and marketing" ID SAY NO. simple as that. o_O

Beats didn't say they're changing the history of music (even tho they did) they released a good product in a non-saturated market and marketed PERFECTLY to get to their position. MATTER OF FACT speaking of headphones I actually do marketing and campaigning for a competing headphone company! Like what CAN you teach me about this man? you defend tidal like you're on their payroll. what is your deal? I'm done responding to you. You then reiterated my point of "this is called captialism and business." by saying the owner makes more. like what are you even trying to prove?

im done man. people like u read a wikipedia article and think you know lol. you are sooooooo far out of your position right now :rofl:  

bottom line. they f'd up. and everybody knows it except for you i guess. if you like it, i love it. im really not this invested.

Yep i'm gonna listen to the Writer/Producer/ Slash marketing guru who is against a service that is trying to get Writers producers more money.... Sure makes Tons of sense, completely logical yup.

The writes who have come out in public blasting sites like Spotify/ Pandora surely have no reason to want more money from their work... I'll forget what they said and listen to your expertise in music since you seem to be Jimmy Iovine reincarnated.

What you are failing to realize is that all of these Streaming Sevices have different payouts per stream.

Pandora = .0013
Spotify = .006 to $0.008
Tidal = Unknown but it's said to be a higher percentage then both of their competitors. let's say it's just at .009

So you could have the ****iest deal in history of music the fact still remains that under Tidal you will be seeing a bigger percentage.

So lets say an artist has a song streamed 5 million times under each company

Pandora = 6'500
Spotify = 30'000 to 40'000
Tidal = 45'000

If you have the option to exclusively stream on one App why wouldn't you stream on the App that has the highest payout of the 3? Where is the common sense in doing that?

Now those profits also have to be split depending on your Publishing deal/ Record deal etc etc. But that % remains the same regardless of what Streaming Service is used.

So again why wouldn't an Artist side with the App that is offering the biggest payout?

Last edited:
Tidal overestimated the average consumer's intelligence. It assumed that people knew that artists were getting raped by Spotify & Pandora. Most rappers don't know how mechanical royalties work so fans damn sure don't or care.

That's why Apple continues to flourish they don't really try educate the consumer. They throw out features that are a year behind its competitors but they don't even mention their competitors they just sell you on this is cool don't you want to be "cool"?

Tidal should have done something similar. jus rolled out as a competitor to Spotify with higher quality sound and an incentive to artists so maybe they would still release exclusively on Tidal. But they chose to position it as a solution to a problem most of you didn't even know existed. Also people don't know or care what lossless music is. It just assumed too much from the average consumer

But the fact that Tidal was around 2 years before Jay bought it and only 2 weeks after you have all these "failure" and negative reviews confirms my suspicion that a lot of this stuff is spin from Spotify since they want to go public soon.

Lol at thinking a business firm is a shoe. Talking about flipping. Don't think it works like that.
1430.gif

... a flip is a flip. you can flip shoes, you can flip a phone, you can flip a car, you can flip a house. all of which cost more than a shoe. what makes you think you can't flip a business? buy low, sell high = flip. step ya skreet knowledge up b

They went about this **** all wrong anyway, get the top 1% of rap & R&B on stage and complain how yall not getting paid brehs
eyes.gif

What they should've done was got some underground/independent artists with moderate fanbases as those are the real losers in all of this
Word, they should have made Meek yellin' about the industry and chasing dreams, etc.

Problem w/ flippin it is that you'd need a buyer willing to pay that price w/ Jay gone. Probably the celeb push w/ it, the reason its value went up in the first place.

http://thestashed.com/2015/04/23/corporate-ether-why-people-are-happy-to-see-jay-z-fail/

This Article sheds light on the real reason behind people seemingly in Glee that Tidal is failing, don't respect the reasoning at all but atleast it 100

BY KAZEEM FAMUYIDE
It’s weird to see JAY Z lose.

I don’t want you to mistake these words as the 10,000th think piece taking down JAY Z this week. That’s not what this is, and in fact, that’s not needed at this point. The point of these words is to get comfortable in discomfort. It was weird to watch Michael Jordan wear #45 and get his *** handed to him by Penny Hardaway and Shaquille O’ Neal. It was weird to watch the Yankees lose the World Series weeks after 9/11 took place, when New York needed it most. It was weird to watch Anderson Silva and Mike Tyson get put to sleep in their prime. Watching the guys who never lose get taken down a peg is awkwardly sobering and, for some reason, makes lesser folks revel in their failures. It’s the reason why we never stop bringing up Manny Pacquiao getting knocked out and it’s the reason why so many people are rooting for him to knock out Floyd Mayweather.

It’s not like we haven’t seen it before. “Ether” and “Renegade” exists. We had to sit through Kingdom Come, and Teairra Marí. JAY Z is the gold standard when it comes to winning in music, it’s just that it’s weird to see it when it happens. When he loses. Now like most legends in their respective fields, once you get to a certain point a loss is all relative. A win for most is definitely a loss for some and, make no mistake about it, Tidal has been an “L” for a man of JAY Z’s stature. And for some reason, people love it.

About a month ago, Tidal was sold to Mr. Carter for $56 Million. A week after his much talked-about launch which featured a roll out of A-list partners like Kanye West, Rihanna, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk and Beyoncé, Tidal’s valuation rose to $250 Million. You don’t have to be a hustler or a d-boy to know that that’s one hell of a flip. But like the aforementioned MC spit years ago on “The Watcher 2,” we give him his props but that’s where it stops.

J**** was already fighting an uphill battle against established streaming properties like Pandora, Spotify and even Beats Music. As a consumer, what Carter’s platform was offering wasn’t anything better or worse than what the established beasts of streaming music was already offering. Sure, Tidal offers some pretty cool exclusives that live only on their platform…but that only holds true until the pirates get their hands on it and it’s available for everyone for free .99. Tidal, which costs $20.00 a month for a subscription, has a higher price tag than life-changing apps like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Beats Music, Pandora, the WWE Network, Redbox and more.

While it was safe to assume that fans might have thought about paying for a more expensive streaming service for a good reason, Tidal never provided that during its reveal, and when they did it was too late. Tidal leaned on the use of their superstar partners which shot off the worst mixed message in the world: multimillionaires were crying broke. While getting artists fair payouts over streaming services is absolutely something that needs to be addressed, Tidal could have done itself millions of favors if they took those same superstars and intermixed them with popular independent artists such as Post Malone, Chance The Rapper, Run The Jewels, or AWOLNATION. Instead, it just looked like fodder for YouTube commenters to go to town on with illuminati BS.

This is what makes people revel in J****’s failure. The one thing that Hov has, or had, over all of the big suits and corporate machines that he’s taken great joy in taking down throughout the latter part of his career is the cool factor that you can’t put a price on. Sure, there are a ton of record labels and sports agencies that could make you amazing deals just like Hov’s team can, but one thing they can’t do is throw up the ROC. Something so simple, but something you absolutely can not put a price on is having a pulse on the culture and, for the last 20 years, JAY Z was the culture. It’s why Roc Nation and its subsidiary Roc Nation Sports has been such a success and has pulled top athletes and artists from all over the world.

The Tidal reveal was the first time that showed that JAY Z was out of touch (well, second if you count the whole “we don’t wear Timberland boots” thing—that was wild), and his supporters and detractors are loving the fact that right now is the time to take this dude down a peg. Google “JAY Z” right now, and you will have to flip through a couple of pages before you can get to something even remotely positive. Even a reveal of a JAY Z/Beyoncé joint album that would be a “Tidal Exclusive” has been met with a collective “meh,” something that you would never have thought a few shorts months ago.

Two weeks after Tidal briefly cracked the U.S. iPhone top 20 download chart, the app has taken a swan dive off of the charts out of the top 700 ,and Tidal’s CEO was kicked out in what has been called a “streamlining” move. To make things even worse, its main rivals, who they spent most of their campaign trying to **** on, have surged. On April 20, Pandora and Spotify stood at No. 3 and No. 4 on the U.S. iPhone revenue chart, respectively. This was the first time two music-streaming services have hit the top 4 in sales simultaneously. Those that say all press is good press must be doing the whip dance right now.

So now what?

JAY Z, the ultimate hustler, now has to bet on himself and his popularity to get Tidal out of the streaming music ****ter. Aside from the rumored JAY Z/Beyoncé album, Hov has even resorted to calling random subscribers to thank them for joining Tidal. It’s gotten Hov in a position that this writer probably thought he would never see: desperate. While it’s safe to say that a guy who is worth close to a billion dollars could never be desperate, one thing that is also safe to say is that Jay is not used to losing.

It’s not about the money, right now. We’ve heard for years about how Hov is smarter and more cunning than the average Joe, and he’s had the bank account to back it up. No more is that affluence showcased than in his last two musical projects: Watch The Throne and Magna Carta Holy Grail.

This is the reason why people have been letting those digital eggs fly all week long on Hova. Us regular folk love to see rich people squirm. It’s the reason why A Christmas Carol is awesome. It’s the reason why we love seeing the awful Mr. Burns get what’s coming to him for nearly 30 years on The Simpsons. It’s the reason why nobody with any type of dignity ***** with Fox News.

And that’s what Hov sounded like when he was hocking Tidal to us. He sounded like Hov Limbaugh, a black Republican. “The challenge is to get everyone to respect music again, to recognize its value,” JAY Z told the New York Times. “Water is free. Music is $6 but no one wants to pay for music. You should drink free water from the tap — it’s a beautiful thing. And if you want to hear the most beautiful song, then support the artist.”

How out of touch do you have to be to know how many people throughout the world don’t even have the luxury of water every day. ****, JAY Z himself fought for people in Africa to have clean water back in 2006 in his Water For Life campaign. 2006 couldn’t have been that long ago, right? Right?

Sure, water is free but, for the most part, so is music. So is art. Much like how people can die from dehydration from lack of water, the soul can be deprived without art. As an artist, Hov still understands this. He, and his millionaire friends, just want their cut-and that’s fair. It’s all good, though. JAY Z is a master of spin and wit, and one freestyle or hit record can change an entire world’s perspective of him. Joke that he only owned a fraction of the Brooklyn Nets? He’ll quip that he’s still got his seats on “Open Letter.” Taunt him on a hit record like Jim Jones did on “Ballin?” He’ll tell you to go “Dig A Hole.” Drake giving you a hard time about collecting art? He’ll shrug his shoulders about his disposable income on a “We Made It” freestyle.

The all-important cool factor is what JAY Z has, and what he’ll need to turn the tide on Tidal. Until then, that ether is going to make that soul burn slow.

In a nut shell this is more about regular everyday people not wanting to see people who are usually winning win more & trying to shield it by claiming the "business Model" isn't correct

roll.gif
 dudes talking about feeling 'guilt' for downloading music/movies for free???? 

Probably wasn't no Dipset on Tidal. Cam won

Wonder if Jay gonna stay and fight the tide, or abandon ship and enjoy the flip money.
happy-i-see-what-you-did-there-(clean)-l.png

http://thestashed.com/2015/04/23/corporate-ether-why-people-are-happy-to-see-jay-z-fail/

This Article sheds light on the real reason behind people seemingly in Glee that Tidal is failing, don't respect the reasoning at all but atleast it 100

BY KAZEEM FAMUYIDE
It’s weird to see JAY Z lose.

I don’t want you to mistake these words as the 10,000th think piece taking down JAY Z this week. That’s not what this is, and in fact, that’s not needed at this point. The point of these words is to get comfortable in discomfort. It was weird to watch Michael Jordan wear #45 and get his *** handed to him by Penny Hardaway and Shaquille O’ Neal. It was weird to watch the Yankees lose the World Series weeks after 9/11 took place, when New York needed it most. It was weird to watch Anderson Silva and Mike Tyson get put to sleep in their prime. Watching the guys who never lose get taken down a peg is awkwardly sobering and, for some reason, makes lesser folks revel in their failures. It’s the reason why we never stop bringing up Manny Pacquiao getting knocked out and it’s the reason why so many people are rooting for him to knock out Floyd Mayweather.

It’s not like we haven’t seen it before. “Ether” and “Renegade” exists. We had to sit through Kingdom Come, and Teairra Marí. JAY Z is the gold standard when it comes to winning in music, it’s just that it’s weird to see it when it happens. When he loses. Now like most legends in their respective fields, once you get to a certain point a loss is all relative. A win for most is definitely a loss for some and, make no mistake about it, Tidal has been an “L” for a man of JAY Z’s stature. And for some reason, people love it.

About a month ago, Tidal was sold to Mr. Carter for $56 Million. A week after his much talked-about launch which featured a roll out of A-list partners like Kanye West, Rihanna, Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk and Beyoncé, Tidal’s valuation rose to $250 Million. You don’t have to be a hustler or a d-boy to know that that’s one hell of a flip. But like the aforementioned MC spit years ago on “The Watcher 2,” we give him his props but that’s where it stops.

J**** was already fighting an uphill battle against established streaming properties like Pandora, Spotify and even Beats Music. As a consumer, what Carter’s platform was offering wasn’t anything better or worse than what the established beasts of streaming music was already offering. Sure, Tidal offers some pretty cool exclusives that live only on their platform…but that only holds true until the pirates get their hands on it and it’s available for everyone for free .99. Tidal, which costs $20.00 a month for a subscription, has a higher price tag than life-changing apps like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, Beats Music, Pandora, the WWE Network, Redbox and more.

While it was safe to assume that fans might have thought about paying for a more expensive streaming service for a good reason, Tidal never provided that during its reveal, and when they did it was too late. Tidal leaned on the use of their superstar partners which shot off the worst mixed message in the world: multimillionaires were crying broke. While getting artists fair payouts over streaming services is absolutely something that needs to be addressed, Tidal could have done itself millions of favors if they took those same superstars and intermixed them with popular independent artists such as Post Malone, Chance The Rapper, Run The Jewels, or AWOLNATION. Instead, it just looked like fodder for YouTube commenters to go to town on with illuminati BS.

This is what makes people revel in J****’s failure. The one thing that Hov has, or had, over all of the big suits and corporate machines that he’s taken great joy in taking down throughout the latter part of his career is the cool factor that you can’t put a price on. Sure, there are a ton of record labels and sports agencies that could make you amazing deals just like Hov’s team can, but one thing they can’t do is throw up the ROC. Something so simple, but something you absolutely can not put a price on is having a pulse on the culture and, for the last 20 years, JAY Z was the culture. It’s why Roc Nation and its subsidiary Roc Nation Sports has been such a success and has pulled top athletes and artists from all over the world.

The Tidal reveal was the first time that showed that JAY Z was out of touch (well, second if you count the whole “we don’t wear Timberland boots” thing—that was wild), and his supporters and detractors are loving the fact that right now is the time to take this dude down a peg. Google “JAY Z” right now, and you will have to flip through a couple of pages before you can get to something even remotely positive. Even a reveal of a JAY Z/Beyoncé joint album that would be a “Tidal Exclusive” has been met with a collective “meh,” something that you would never have thought a few shorts months ago.

Two weeks after Tidal briefly cracked the U.S. iPhone top 20 download chart, the app has taken a swan dive off of the charts out of the top 700 ,and Tidal’s CEO was kicked out in what has been called a “streamlining” move. To make things even worse, its main rivals, who they spent most of their campaign trying to **** on, have surged. On April 20, Pandora and Spotify stood at No. 3 and No. 4 on the U.S. iPhone revenue chart, respectively. This was the first time two music-streaming services have hit the top 4 in sales simultaneously. Those that say all press is good press must be doing the whip dance right now.

So now what?

JAY Z, the ultimate hustler, now has to bet on himself and his popularity to get Tidal out of the streaming music ****ter. Aside from the rumored JAY Z/Beyoncé album, Hov has even resorted to calling random subscribers to thank them for joining Tidal. It’s gotten Hov in a position that this writer probably thought he would never see: desperate. While it’s safe to say that a guy who is worth close to a billion dollars could never be desperate, one thing that is also safe to say is that Jay is not used to losing.

It’s not about the money, right now. We’ve heard for years about how Hov is smarter and more cunning than the average Joe, and he’s had the bank account to back it up. No more is that affluence showcased than in his last two musical projects: Watch The Throne and Magna Carta Holy Grail.

This is the reason why people have been letting those digital eggs fly all week long on Hova. Us regular folk love to see rich people squirm. It’s the reason why A Christmas Carol is awesome. It’s the reason why we love seeing the awful Mr. Burns get what’s coming to him for nearly 30 years on The Simpsons. It’s the reason why nobody with any type of dignity ***** with Fox News.

And that’s what Hov sounded like when he was hocking Tidal to us. He sounded like Hov Limbaugh, a black Republican. “The challenge is to get everyone to respect music again, to recognize its value,” JAY Z told the New York Times. “Water is free. Music is $6 but no one wants to pay for music. You should drink free water from the tap — it’s a beautiful thing. And if you want to hear the most beautiful song, then support the artist.”

How out of touch do you have to be to know how many people throughout the world don’t even have the luxury of water every day. ****, JAY Z himself fought for people in Africa to have clean water back in 2006 in his Water For Life campaign. 2006 couldn’t have been that long ago, right? Right?

Sure, water is free but, for the most part, so is music. So is art. Much like how people can die from dehydration from lack of water, the soul can be deprived without art. As an artist, Hov still understands this. He, and his millionaire friends, just want their cut-and that’s fair. It’s all good, though. JAY Z is a master of spin and wit, and one freestyle or hit record can change an entire world’s perspective of him. Joke that he only owned a fraction of the Brooklyn Nets? He’ll quip that he’s still got his seats on “Open Letter.” Taunt him on a hit record like Jim Jones did on “Ballin?” He’ll tell you to go “Dig A Hole.” Drake giving you a hard time about collecting art? He’ll shrug his shoulders about his disposable income on a “We Made It” freestyle.

The all-important cool factor is what JAY Z has, and what he’ll need to turn the tide on Tidal. Until then, that ether is going to make that soul burn slow.

In a nut shell this is more about regular everyday people not wanting to see people who are usually winning win more & trying to shield it by claiming the "business Model" isn't correct
Perhaps for some people...doesn't change the fact that the business model makes no sense for the consumer, which is the most important factor. This isn't a Jay hatefest...it just didn't and doesn't work. Overall it doesn't make sense for consumers and the rollout conference was cringe worthy.

1430.gif

... a flip is a flip. you can flip shoes, you can flip a phone, you can flip a car, you can flip a house. all of which cost more than a shoe. what makes you think you can't flip a business? buy low, sell high = flip. step ya skreet knowledge up b

Homie you would never succeed if this is how you think businesses work. Then again with that comment in sure you have never crossed that line into enterpenuership. So I can't blame you for that idiotic statement.

At least you have this guy here who thinks like you, you guys should try and start something up.
This is one of the stupidest things I've seen said in forum 16 in a while. The JB section is calling for you to return. :lol:

Lol sure bud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TEKtheMAESTRO  

1430.gif

Homie you would never succeed if this is how you think businesses work. Then again with that comment in sure you have never crossed that line into enterpenuership. So I can't blame you for that idiotic statement.
 wait...so ive somehow explained how i think businesses work... by saying a flip = buy low and sell high? in your brain did those two things correlate somehow?

i dont understand why people on NT keep coming to me with weak/ignorant arguments that either miss the point or prove mine. never crossed the line into entrepreneurship... but im a musician. got it. degree in business marketing. no idea how business works. got it. explain what a flip is. knowing what flipping is means i dont know how business works and i wont succeed. got it.

giphy.gif

Wonder if Jay gonna stay and fight the tide, or abandon ship and enjoy the flip money.
chill, according to homiekins up here.... thats not how business works man.

Last edited:
(Read from Bottom to top if you don't want to get on Twitter.) Jay Z just got on Twitter to defend Tidal. https://twitter.com/S_C_  

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  9s 9 seconds ago

Our actions will speak louder than words. We made Tidal to bring people the best experiences...

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

We have Tidal X - it supports artists by giving them a platform to connect with their most loyal fans. Tidal is for all. #Tidalfacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

My cousin just moved to Nigeria to discover new talent. Tidal is a global company.

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  4m 4 minutes ago

Rich getting richer? Equity values... YouTube $390 billion. Apple $760 billion. Spotify $8 billion. Tidal $60 million. #TidalFacts

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  26s 26 seconds ago

Tidal pays 75% royalty rate to ALL artists, writers and producers - not just the founding members on stage.
154 retweets 89 favorites

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  6m 6 minutes ago

Indie artists who want to work directly w/ us keep 100% of their music. "If you don't want the CEOs all in the videos" haa #tidalfacts
1,196 retweets 746 favorites

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  11m 11 minutes ago

….Tidal is where artists can give their fans more without the middlemen. #TidalFacts
1,279 retweets 856 favorites

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  14m 14 minutes ago

We made Tidal for fans. We have more than just music. We have video, exclusive concerts, tickets for events early, live sports!...
1,648 retweets 1,125 favorites

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  17m 17 minutes ago

There are many big companies that are spending millions on a smear campaign. We are not anti-anyone, we are pro-artist & fan. #TidalFacts
1,930 retweets 1,325 favorites

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  20m 20 minutes ago

We are here for the long haul. Please give us a chance to grow & get better. #TidalFacts
2,334 retweets 1,580 favorites

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  22m 22 minutes ago

The iTunes Store wasn't built in a day. It took Spotify 9 years to be successful…
3,210 retweets 2,084 favorites

Mr. Carter @S_C_  ·  26m 26 minutes ago

Tidal is doing just fine. We have over 770,000 subs. We have been in business less than one month. #TidalFacts
3,202 retweets 2,016 favorites

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom