Tony Stewart Strikes driver during race after he gets out of car

I don't know how to feel. Tony is/was my favorite driver but after this and being a fan of Dale Sr and seeing him die on the track, I think I'm done with racing. I cant get enjoyment out of seeing people die.

You could at least use your own understanding and analysis about what transpired, as well as READ the alleged reports by 'eye witnesses'.  There's no way out of it.  The motives and intentions were just there, though it's tough to place it all on Stewart.

Again, why did other cars seemingly avoid Ward, and Ward doing the same, but when it was Stewart's turn at the corner, he steered his car in that direction?  Even if it was unintentional as his defense will be, he killed the kid.
I only scanned over a few quotes, but do remember Tyler Graves (who apparently is also a racer and a friend of Ward) saying he didn't think Stewart intentionally hit him, but did go over the line on it. 

When you said "the motives and intentions were just there", were you referring to Ward angrily gesturing towards Stewart, which was why he decided to run him over?

I, personally, see no point in over-analyzing that single piece of fan-footage and making a judgement.  The video cuts to Stewart just as he hits Ward, but what happened to Stewart's car right before contact?  Were there other cars around him?  Did he have any mechanical issues?  I'm not trying to defend him, but I couldn't see what else was going on around him.... hence, why I think additional footage is needed (different angles, less zoomed-in perhaps) for the investigators to make a judgement.  

Also, regarding the vid... I've actually noticed 2 versions... in one, you can hear him blip the throttle right as he hits Ward, while in the other, the blip came about 2 secs before contact.  Not sure which one is authentic. 

I'm not saying he's innocent cuz ultimately, he did hit and killed someone... but to go out and call him a murderer or to say that he intentionally ran him over, IMO, is a bit premature.

I recall Graves initially testifying with his eyewitness account and clearly stating he personally heard and saw Stewart hit the throttle as he neared Ward.

I only scanned over a few quotes, but do remember Tyler Graves (who apparently is also a racer and a friend of Ward) saying he didn't think Stewart intentionally hit him, but did go over the line on it. 

When you said "the motives and intentions were just there", were you referring to Ward angrily gesturing towards Stewart, which was why he decided to run him over?

I, personally, see no point in over-analyzing that single piece of fan-footage and making a judgement.  The video cuts to Stewart just as he hits Ward, but what happened to Stewart's car right before contact?  Were there other cars around him?  Did he have any mechanical issues?  I'm not trying to defend him, but I couldn't see what else was going on around him.... hence, why I think additional footage is needed (different angles, less zoomed-in perhaps) for the investigators to make a judgement.  

Also, regarding the vid... I've actually noticed 2 versions... in one, you can hear him blip the throttle right as he hits Ward, while in the other, the blip came about 2 secs before contact.  Not sure which one is authentic. 

I'm not saying he's innocent cuz ultimately, he did hit and killed someone... but to go out and call him a murderer or to say that he intentionally ran him over, IMO, is a bit premature.

Why would Tony intentionally run him over? LoL. It‘s pretty safe to say that Tony killed the guy. There are countless eye witnesses out there, that many and I think the media and investegators realize this.

It just doesnt seem favorable for Tony tho. It seemed too fairy tale, to perfect. A retaliation gone wrong.

But how come the other cars slowed down and dodged Ward, and Ward was able to maneuver a bit to continue his gestures? And somehow, Tony wasnt able to see the kid? No way. He saw him, if he didnt, he wouldve full on ran into him. It just doesnt make sense to me.

You see the new slo mo video? Shows Ward grab and hang onto Stewarts wing. Then he slips off and falls under the tire

Also a driver in the race spoke up and said Stewart was clearly trying to avoid him and he hit the gas in an effort to turn to the bottom of the track, and he even said exactly what I said s couple pages ago, quickest way to turn a sprint car left is by hitting the gas

You see the new slo mo video? Shows Ward grab and hang onto Stewarts wing. Then he slips off and falls under the tire

Also a driver in the race spoke up and said Stewart was clearly trying to avoid him and he hit the gas in an effort to turn to the bottom of the track, and he even said exactly what I said s couple pages ago, quickest way to turn a sprint car left is by hitting the gas
Link to new video please.

***********rumor / specualtion at this point, buti thought id post it, AGAIN ONLY RUMOR, FWIW......................

NASCAR Insiders Rusty Wallace and Darrell Waltrip have informed the Associated Press that three-time Sprint Cup Champion Tony Stewart will hold a press conference in the coming days, and is expected to announce his retirement from all auto racing activities, as well as announcing the sale of his half of his ownership of Stewart-Haas Racing. The announcement comes after Stewart tragically struck and killed fellow sprint car driver Kevin Ward, Jr.

“This was a tragic accident, one he just can’t get over. I talked with Tony yesterday and he made it clear, he is done with racing. I tried to suggest to him to take time off and think it over for a few months, he told me he has made up his mind and will announce soon. I hope he changes his mind, but it sure sounded like he meant it,” said former NASCAR champion and Hall of Fame member Rusty Wallace.

According to Waltrip, he talked to Stewart for hours the night after the accident and again two days ago, and he says Stewart has been grieving more and more after the initiative shock.

“The man hasn’t slept for days, this has rocked his world harder than anything he has ever had to deal with. He told me he could never effectively get back in a race car and drive. I expect an announcement in the next few days, he is just working on what he is going to say to the fans and most importantly the father of the victim, Kevin Ward, Sr.,” Waltrip told NASCAR reporter Nicole Briscoe via telephone interview last night.
Ward, 20, had climbed out of his Sprint car during a dirt race in Canadaigua, N.Y., and he walked toward Stewart’s car during a caution, and while gesturing to him was struck and killed by the car Stewart was driving. Ward was pronounced dead on his way to the hospital.

Several race fans who have watched the horrific video believe that Stewart’s aggressive racing nature caused the death of Ward, including Wards father.

“Tony Stewart was the best damn driver by far on the track that night. Why he had to go up as high as he did and hog my son, there’s no reason for it,” Ward Sr. told the Syracuse Post-Standard. “Apparently he was the only driver on the track who didn’t see him. The one person that knows what happened that night is possibly facing 10 years in prison. Is he going to say what he done?”

Speaking to the Associated Press, Corey Rayburn Yung, a law professor, said that under New York State law, that Stewart could very possibly be charged with manslaughter even if there was no intent to strike Ward.

“The question over whether someone was reckless is a factual one, and one a prosecutor might let a jury decide,” Yung said.

On whether Stewart will retire from racing, all signs point to yes given the sources. “There will for sure be a press conference in which Tony speaks for himself, I think he sees no other way around this,” said Waltrip. “It will indeed be a sad day for NASCAR.”

Stewart-Haas Racing has not commented on the rumor, and a representative for the team could neither confirm nor deny Stewart’s intentions.

Link to new video please.

It's the same video just slowed down. Just search youtube

Spoke up? Thats just one POV. I keep asking people the same thing, why was everyone able to dodge him, but when Stewart came to the turn, why was his car directed towards Ward? Ward didn‘t jump there of the blue, and a driver at that level and in such scenario could have easily avoided him. If he was literally in the path of collusion,.Steward would‘ve avoided it. Its easy to assume that Stewart wanted to out maneuver him or tail swipe him, but he powered steered because he knew it was too late.

All that visibility talk is BS.

I read that "article" and was going to ask if he was so distraught and couldn't race anymore why was he thinking about racing last weekend and his business partner said it would be business as usual.

Last edited:
Watching Espn. Just heard NASCAR has a new rule in place that prohibits drivers from exiting their car and approaching the track or another vehicle after an accident. Ive seen it happen so often but I assumed there was a rule already in place. Not too familiar with the sport.

nah there's never been a rule lol.....hopefully smaller tracks adopt the same rule cause it's liable to happen there than at a nascar race 

Yep, hopefully trickles down. Sad you have to specify and make a rule about it (shrugs)

@MartySmithESPN

BvFNw6oIgAAl9b6.jpg:large

This whole situation is just sad I don't watch too much Nascar or racing at all but Stewart has been involved in a few incidents on these smaller races. At the very least Nascar should have some Hazard clause where he can't compete in or take part of dangerous activities that could compromise his Nascar Career.

The thing that gets me is Tony Stewart had no reason to be pissed off at the kid. He didn't even make contact with him and probably had no idea he crashed. so when he came back around and saw him wrecked, regardless of the fact Stewart is known as a hot-head, he had ZERO reason to be angry at the kid at all, so why would he do something as drastic as run him over, or even try to scare him?  more reason to believe it was an accident 

Back
Top Bottom