TOP 5 GROUPS IN HIP-HP HISTORY?

to me i cant really consider the roots OR gangstarr as a group because they have one main vocalist dont get me wrong i have so much for the roots and gangstarrbut i cant help and see all the other groups that have more than one talented mc in their group
so here's my list 5a-little brother 5b-dilated peoples (i know im going to hear it about these two but oh well) 4-the beastie boys 3-Outkast 2-A TribeCalled Quest 1-WU TANG CLAN - so many talented artist so many classic albums you cant overlook any of that

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Originally Posted by iLLscan

Even Wu solo joints are (were) collective Wu projects with a majority Wu "guest appearances" & in house production. It's all the same to me.
And Forever is a classic. The W is a banger.

By that argument...Roc-a-fella should be looked as a group, Duck Down has to be considered a group, The Dungeon Family, No Limit, Cash Money, etc....That ain't fair to dudes that formed a choesive musical partnership and held it down year in and year out. Every member of the Wu has their own stlye and mission, they were united under Rza's vision to create a platform for the team to bracnh out.

Their solo albums are their solo albums and their group albums are their group albums....and I don't s think their 5 group efforts ae better than the numerous classics from ATCQ, Gangstarr, OutKast, The Roots, PE, Brand Nub, De La, UGK, etc.
You trying to say Wu's not better than those groups? Maybe OutKast or Roots or ATCQ, but I still have them on top. I think the fact that theyare 9 different styles that can mesh together to create 2 classic group albums and basically their own niche in hip hop is pretty amazing. To add on, Wu isthe only group of the ones you mentioned in the first paragraph (ROC, No Limit, BCC, etc), that you would rather hear all combined than separate (aside fromGhost)

Damn, surprised no one said Clipse either.

5. Hieroglyphics
4. Clipse
3. Outkast
2. Beastie Boys
1. Wu Tang

Wu-TangClanEntertheWu-Tangalbumcover.jpg

Wu-Tang_Forever.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

200px-TheW.jpg

Ironflagcover.jpg

6a00d414488a3e3c7f00e398cae36c0002-320pi

Is not seeing ATCQ, BN, MD or PE...EPMD maybe you can make a case for...but they was always great indiviual MCs before a great group to me. I got the Roots and Kast before them.

I would strongly disagree.... 36 Chambers is a top 10 hip-hop album of all times, Forever is a classic double album that obviously isn't on the samelevel of 36 Chambers but its still a very defining album. The W is very underrated.... people try to dismiss it like it was subpar but it was a very very solidalbum... now Iron Flag was very disappointing..maybe can be seen as wack. 8 Diagrams can sorta be viewed as Wu's Kingdome Come... its either hit ormiss.... alot of people liked it and could appreciate it... then there's others that were highly disappointed with the Wu's effort but if you read mostreviews it was given a favorable rating. So i would say their catalog is superior to Mobb Deep, UGK & Brand Nubian... Its kinda like their alot of rapperswho have better catalogs than Raekwon but Rae's 1st album is superior to alot of those very same rapper's catalogs... thats the same with the Wu theiralot of groups who have better catalogs but still haven't put out anything on the level of 36 Chambers.

Originally Posted by LB81986

Originally Posted by iLLscan

Even Wu solo joints are (were) collective Wu projects with a majority Wu "guest appearances" & in house production. It's all the same to me.
And Forever is a classic. The W is a banger.

By that argument...Roc-a-fella should be looked as a group, Duck Down has to be considered a group, The Dungeon Family, No Limit, Cash Money, etc....That ain't fair to dudes that formed a choesive musical partnership and held it down year in and year out. Every member of the Wu has their own stlye and mission, they were united under Rza's vision to create a platform for the team to bracnh out.

Their solo albums are their solo albums and their group albums are their group albums....and I don't s think their 5 group efforts ae better than the numerous classics from ATCQ, Gangstarr, OutKast, The Roots, PE, Brand Nub, De La, UGK, etc.
You trying to say Wu's not better than those groups? I think the fact that they are 9 different styles that can mesh together to create 2 classic group albums and basically their own niche in hip hop is pretty amazing.

Every one of those groups listed have a better discography that the Wu's group albums. Ain't really no disputing that...As a team...ain't no onemessin with Wu....but when you only release 5 groups albums, 1 of them is "The W" and 2 of them are titled "8 Diagrams" and "IronFlag"...ain't no way your group should be in the top 5 all time. Thats str8 disrespect to PE, Run DMC, OutKast, UGK, ATCQ, etc.

Originally Posted by BenFranklinAve

Wu-Tang_Forever.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

200px-TheW.jpg

Ironflagcover.jpg

Is not seeing ATCQ, BN, MD or PE...EPMD maybe you can make a case for...but they was always great indiviual MCs before a great group to me. I got the Roots and Kast before them.

I would strongly disagree.... 36 Chambers is a top 10 hip-hop album of all times, Forever is a classic double album that obviously isn't on the same level of 36 Chambers but its still a very defining album. The W is very underrated.... people try to dismiss it like it was subpar but it was a very very solid album... now Iron Flag was very disappointing..maybe can be seen as wack. 8 Diagrams can sorta be viewed as Wu's Kingdome Come... its either hit or miss.... alot of people liked it and could appreciate it... then there's others that were highly disappointed with the Wu's effort but if you read most reviews it was given a favorable rating. So i would say their catalog is superior to Mobb Deep, UGK & Brand Nubian... Its kinda like their alot of rappers who have better catalogs than Raekwon but Rae's 1st album is superior to alot of those very same rapper's catalogs... thats the same with the Wu their alot of groups who have better catalogs but still haven't put out anything on the level of 36 Chambers.

By your own words....that 1 classic...1 great album...1decent albums....and 2 duds.....right?

HOW YOU GONNA PUT THAT RESUME AGAINST...
Yo!_Bum_Rush_the_Show.jpg
PublicEnemyItTakesaNationofMillionstoHoldUsBack.jpg
PublicEnemyFearofaBlackPlan.jpg
PublicEnemyApocalypse91.jpg
200px-Muse_Sick-n-Hour_Mess_Age.jpg
200px-Hegotgame.jpg
200px-Pepoison.jpg
200px-Publicenemy_revolverlution.jpg

OR

200px-ATCQPeople'sInstinctTravels.jpg
ATribeCalledQuestTheLowEndtheory.jpg
200px-ATCQMidnightMarauders.jpg
200px-Beats-Rhymes-and-Life-Cover.jpg
200px-The-Love-Movement-Cover.jpg

OR

200px-Outkast-southernplayalisticadillacmuzik.jpg
200px-Outkast-atliens.jpg
AqueminiOutKast.jpg
outkast.jpg
200px-Outkast-speakerboxx-lovebelow.jpg

OR

Oneforall.jpg
200px-In_God_We_Trust.jpg
Everything_is_Everything.jpg
Foundation_BN.jpg

OR

200px-Mobb-Deep-Juvenile-Hell.jpg
200px-Mobbdeeptheinfamous1995.jpg
200px-Hell_on_earth_(mobb_deep_album).jpg
200px-Murda_muzik_(album).jpg
200px-Mobb-Deep-Infamy.jpg
200px-Amerikaz_Nightmare.jpg
200px-Mobb_Deep-Blood_Money_album_cover.jpg

Or UGK, RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, De La Soul etc....just don't make no damn sense. They did not release better group album than these groups...no way onearth.

1. Wu Tang

Others in no order, but:

Black Star
A Tribe Called Quest
Fugees
Run DMC

Wu-Tang_Forever.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

200px-TheW.jpg

Ironflagcover.jpg

I would strongly disagree.... 36 Chambers is a top 10 hip-hop album of all times, Forever is a classic double album that obviously isn't on the same level of 36 Chambers but its still a very defining album. The W is very underrated.... people try to dismiss it like it was subpar but it was a very very solid album... now Iron Flag was very disappointing..maybe can be seen as wack. 8 Diagrams can sorta be viewed as Wu's Kingdome Come... its either hit or miss.... alot of people liked it and could appreciate it... then there's others that were highly disappointed with the Wu's effort but if you read most reviews it was given a favorable rating. So i would say their catalog is superior to Mobb Deep, UGK & Brand Nubian... Its kinda like their alot of rappers who have better catalogs than Raekwon but Rae's 1st album is superior to alot of those very same rapper's catalogs... thats the same with the Wu their alot of groups who have better catalogs but still haven't put out anything on the level of 36 Chambers.

By your own words....that 1 classic...1 great album...1decent albums....and 2 duds.....right?

HOW YOU GONNA PUT THAT RESUME AGAINST...
Yo!_Bum_Rush_the_Show.jpg
PublicEnemyItTakesaNationofMillionstoHoldUsBack.jpg
PublicEnemyFearofaBlackPlan.jpg
PublicEnemyApocalypse91.jpg
200px-Muse_Sick-n-Hour_Mess_Age.jpg
200px-Hegotgame.jpg
200px-Pepoison.jpg
200px-Publicenemy_revolverlution.jpg

OR

200px-ATCQPeople'sInstinctTravels.jpg
ATribeCalledQuestTheLowEndtheory.jpg
200px-ATCQMidnightMarauders.jpg
200px-Beats-Rhymes-and-Life-Cover.jpg
200px-The-Love-Movement-Cover.jpg

OR

200px-Outkast-southernplayalisticadillacmuzik.jpg
200px-Outkast-atliens.jpg
AqueminiOutKast.jpg
outkast.jpg
200px-Outkast-speakerboxx-lovebelow.jpg

OR

Oneforall.jpg
200px-In_God_We_Trust.jpg
Everything_is_Everything.jpg
Foundation_BN.jpg

OR

200px-Mobb-Deep-Juvenile-Hell.jpg
200px-Mobbdeeptheinfamous1995.jpg
200px-Hell_on_earth_(mobb_deep_album).jpg
200px-Murda_muzik_(album).jpg
200px-Mobb-Deep-Infamy.jpg
200px-Amerikaz_Nightmare.jpg
200px-Mobb_Deep-Blood_Money_album_cover.jpg

Or UGK, RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, De La Soul etc....just don't make no damn sense. They did not release better group album than these groups...no way on earth.
CLEARLY you didn't read what i wrote... where did i state Wu had a better catalog than ATCQ, Outkast, EPMD??... I clearly stated they have a bettercatalog than UGK, Mobb Deep & Brand Nubian. Secondly Wu has 2 classics and 1 very solid album in Wu... only dud they have as a group isIron Flag... your talking as if Wu dropped sub par group albums their whole career... which is not the case.

CLEARLY you didn't read what i wrote... where did i state Wu had a better catalog than ATCQ, Outkast, EPMD??... I clearly stated they have a better catalog than UGK, Mobb Deep & Brand Nubian. Secondly Wu has 2 classics and 1 very solid album in Wu... only dud they have as a group is Iron Flag... your talking as if Wu dropped sub par group albums their whole career... which is not the case.

Clearly you are inhaling crack smoke if you think the Wu has a better group catalog that Mobb Deep. Clearly.

Everyone who says Iron Flag is wack is crazy, yeah it's not close to being on par with their other outstanding efforts, but it's still solid. Wu hasnever dropped a wack group album, and the amount of spectacular solo efforts just even further solidifies their spot as number one, hands down, no questionsasked.

And how could you possibly believe Mobb Deep > Wu Tang?

36 Chambers is better than every single Mobb album, Infamous is the only one that comes close. Not counting Infamous, Forever is better than the rest of theirlibrary. Now you have two Wu albums that are better than nearly every Mobb album. I'd take the weakest Wu album, in this case Iron Flag, over anythingafter Hell on Earth. Mentioning Blood Money in their discography is just hurting your case.

1. Wu-Tang

2-5 is undecided at this point. I would have to really sit down and discuss this with people who have no biased opinions and good arguments. I would includethese groups as candidates:

Public Enemy, ATCQ, Outkast, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, BDP, NWA, I know there's more, but these are key candidates.

Edit: I would throw Three 6 Mafia in there as well. Three 6 Mafia meaning not the duo of DJ Paul & Juicy J

CLEARLY you didn't read what i wrote... where did i state Wu had a better catalog than ATCQ, Outkast, EPMD??... I clearly stated they have a better catalog than UGK, Mobb Deep & Brand Nubian. Secondly Wu has 2 classics and 1 very solid album in Wu... only dud they have as a group is Iron Flag... your talking as if Wu dropped sub par group albums their whole career... which is not the case.

Clearly you are inhaling crack smoke if you think the Wu has a better group catalog that Mobb Deep. Clearly.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
the f...? im one of Mobb Deep's biggest fans on NT but they only have 1classic album... Wu has 2. Hell On Earth is a near classic, Murda Muzik is a very solid album... Juvenile Hell, Amerikaz Nightmare &Infamy are all meh ... ... Blood Money is forgetable... So in conclusion The Mobb has dropped more average albums than Wu has... Wu only has 1 average album

I know that the Beasties get their respect by those in the industry, but why no love here on NT?

including me, I think that one or two other people had them in the top 5....

ya'll are sleeping on them....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I know that the Beasties get their respect by those in the industry, but why no love here on NT?

including me, I think that one or two other people had them in the top 5....

ya'll are sleeping on them....

same thing i was thinking. I was glad that you finally mentioned them.

20+ years in the game and they still come with classics. One of my favorite groups of all time.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
the f...? im one of Mobb Deep's biggest fans on NT but they only have 1 classic album... Wu has 2. Hell On Earth is a near classic, Murda Muzik is a very solid album... Juvenile Hell, Amerikaz Nightmare & Infamy are all meh ... ... Blood Money is forgetable... So in conclusion The Mobb has dropped more average albums than Wu has... Wu only has 1 average album

Infamous classic.

Hell on Earth classic.

Juvenile Hell classic.

Murda Muzik, Amerikas NM, Infamy...8/10 albums

Lets say 36 chambers and The W are classics or close to them....where are the rest of the classic or near classic albums?

Your logic don't make no sense...no way you cut it. You can't say The W is a "very underrated album" and Amerikas NM was"meh"...and 8 Diagrams wasn't "forgetable"?...I thought it was a good album but it ain't gettig no spins from me no time soon. Stoptrying them Hillary Clinton tactics moe.

Back
Top Bottom