Transplants...Who do you root for?

good thread, op. I was born in Seattle & raised in the Bay/LA. Throughout my young years I repped hard for all the pro teams out of Seattle. Needless to say, it was fun but a very lonely experience since there was nobody around to root with.

The Seahawks would hardly get televised back then, so it became difficult to remain a fan as the years progressed and wound up rooting for the 49ers & Raiders due to some years spent in the Bay. I haven't watched much baseball since Griffey Jr left Seattle, but I still can't get myself to really root for another MLB team. As an aside, I 'd like to mention how incredibly lame MLB hat appropriation by gangs is. I learned late in my time in Los Angeles that wearing a Mariners hat could get me in situations I had no desire to be in. :smh:

As far as the NBA, I'm not proud to say I switched sides after a decade of passionate Laker hating thanks to Kobe. Initially I told myself I was going to just going to enjoy watching KB8 and not rob myself of the experience (which I did with MJ in the early 90s) merely because I was rooting for another team, but I wound up a Laker fan in the process. While #8 improved his game every season, my Sonics didn't fail to continue to make me miserable. I didn't understand the ridiculous amount of money thrown at Jim McIlvaine. Didn't understand the inability to placate Kemp in 97. Didn't understand the need to fire George Karl in 98. And when finally Vin Baker showed up after the lockout in 99 fat & out of shape, I couldn't take it any longer. :lol:

What part of Ohio Ska?
Wooster/Oorville

Was 2003, right before Lebron was drafted, and the general feeling I got was that he could walk into any home in the area and bang any wife or teenage daughter in the home, and the father of the house would ask if he'd like some ice cream or a brownie or something afterwards. 
laugh.gif

(only mildly kidding)

I will never understand people who root for 2 Different schools in 2 different sports

Root for USC Football and Syracuse Basketball :lol: :lol:

I don't get it either.

guilty of this :lol:

michigan football because grew up watching them. went to gtown (was actually deciding between michigan and gtown) so naturally followed the hoyas basketball team. gtown's football program is a glorified high school program.

but college teams are easy to understand IMO, in terms of why people follow schools they never attended or multiple teams. everyone can't go to the school of a team they grew up watching (for numerous reasons...grades, money, practicality based on career goals, etc). and every school doesn't have a program in every sport to follow.

Wooster/Oorville

Was 2003, right before Lebron was drafted, and the general feeling I got was that he could walk into any home in the area and bang any wife or teenage daughter in the home, and the father of the house would ask if he'd like some ice cream or a brownie or something afterwards. :lol:

(only mildly kidding)

Gotcha. I went to a wooster basketball camp when I was younger. They also have outlet malls that used to be
good, but I haven't been there in years. Not really a flattering place so I understand the boredom that you had. I hope you made a trip to downtown Cleveland or Columbus. Lots of stuff to do regardless of what people think they know on here.

Last edited:
Worst is the usc football but also ucla basketball fans here in so cal.

I seen a few posts back making reference to the cowboys and bandwagon. There would be a solid case for that in the 90's but that team has been average and underachieving for almost 20 years now. Their fans may be annoying but I give em props for gutting it out.

Don't confuse butthurt for amazement. As in amazed that you think you're a better fan for somebody for any reason (which is stupid). And that you crap on
others for something you do as well.

Pot calling the kettle black, pretzel calling the chip salty, etc., etc.
In what way do I do what you do?  You should tell me.

Don't confuse butthurt for amazement. As in amazed that you think you're a better fan for somebody for any reason (which is stupid). And that you crap on
others for something you do as well.

Pot calling the kettle black, pretzel calling the chip salty, etc., etc.
In what way do I do what you do?  You should tell me.

but I accept my status as a bandwagon Yankee fan

We've had this conversation before. Why are you playing dumb?

But in all seriousness, no one is a better fan than anyone else despite the reasons they pick a team. All that matters is sticking with them.
But you bring it up all the time, and even to try to shame "bandwagoners".

Not a good look especially when you're a self-admitted bandwagoner.

Back
Top Bottom