Trinidad James said "The South runs NY" while in NYC..

dudes in here speaking on maino's music and never heard a track

and when did security get mixed up with goons

Bieber doesnt have goons he has hired security guards

goons are guys that look like Waka used to standing in the background lurking
They both serve the same purpose as far as protection goes.
In theory except hired security guards are professionals. Goons when they're not instigating a situation are escalating it and have gotten rappers/athletes into as much **** as they've "protected" them from. 

I thought Jack was just ranting when he started brining up 9/11, club culture, he missed me with all that ****.

But one thing I've noticed about NY rappers and a select few from other cities is when they get dissed, ****** always wanna fight. When somebody tries to physically harm you over a comment you know you got them.

Only thing NY needs to do is make better music AND SUPPORT THEIR ARTISTS. Just go up and down the forums/16 thread list and it's a microcosm of who we support. That's the bottom line, stop blaming all these other factors, get in the studio and bang out hits we all know they're capable of.

@Magic1978
 @romedadude
 I  saw some validity in the statements that Combat Jack made.

Would anybody get made if an artist from any other region takes new york city dark grune, sound/style and make it popular. I know people get mad when they say people steal the south style, but would New York dudes get mad if anybody is running with there style?????

Some truth

He was right when he was mentioning the venues

Man, New York rappers started getting banned in clubs so they couldn't even perform in their own city. And clubs would have rather brought in other rappers than New York rappers, because they didn't have to worry about entourages and home teams acting up. At one point if you weren't from New York and you were a rapper it was like the Apollo. Now it's the reverse, the New York rappers have to prove themselves. Ghoulliana brought the hammer down on the city. Now they're barely any places, period.

Also the fans have this thing where everyone has to be the next Big, Jay or Nas. So if you aren't them, you're quickly dismissed. Nobody from the south is dismissed like that. People will say Maino is wack, but then will listen MC Southy South. Why do they say that, because Maino isn't BIG or Jay. Jay grew in to Jay and honed his skills. New York has no patience. You better be spitting hot fire from jump.

I think New York needs to find a medium...between 90's New York rap and current times. Like how they came out with the Charger and Camaro. New York needs to be more radio and club friendly, like the Bad Boy era.

i don't think its that. nobody expects anybody to top, replace or even be close to a big, pack, nas, jay, etc.

we just want good music. we are getting ok music...music with good bars every now and then but something is missing. nobody has that "it" factor that somebody like 50 had...so no, you won't hear them on the radio like that. bronson is dope and i like his music a lot but its not surprising that he's not on the radio like that. same with joey badass and these other newcomers.

the south **** they play is good to the masses. its catchy. its different.

white its on my mind, nobody from ny would care if ppl copied us. hell, a lot of ppl have copied us in the past. i think it became more of an issue, at least with me, when it was so blatant and when that person was being pushed to the forefront OVER ppl that had better music (again, IMO). i'm talking about wayne.

but thats another story for another thread.

there are a lot of reasons as to why things are the way they are. its a grey area.

anyway, ny needs something NEW. stop trying to be like the south and stop trying to take it back to 1992-1995.

lastly, the dj's are full of it if they stop playing tj because of his comments when they still play wayne after he said what he said about ny.

i don't think its that. nobody expects anybody to top, replace or even be close to a big, pack, nas, jay, etc.

we just want good music. we are getting ok music...music with good bars every now and then but something is missing. nobody has that "it" factor that somebody like 50 had...so no, you won't hear them on the radio like that. bronson is dope and i like his music a lot but its not surprising that he's not on the radio like that. same with joey badass and these other newcomers.

the south **** they play is good to the masses. its catchy. its different.

white its on my mind, nobody from ny would care if ppl copied us. hell, a lot of ppl have copied us in the past. i think it became more of an issue, at least with me, when it was so blatant and when that person was being pushed to the forefront OVER ppl that had better music (again, IMO). i'm talking about wayne.

but thats another story for another thread.

there are a lot of reasons as to why things are the way they are. its a grey area.

anyway, ny needs something NEW. stop trying to be like the south and stop trying to take it back to 1992-1995.

lastly, the dj's are full of it if they stop playing tj because of his comments when they still play wayne after he said what he said about ny.

Naw, I think it's true

Because the time a New York rapper makes a radio song he's labeled garbage(Mims, French, Maino) if he's not lyrical.

Meanwhile the south can have a bunch of garbage rappers who just make catchy radio and club songs. Nobody expects them to be lyrical, so it's a totally different set of standards.

You go in a Yo Gotti thread, how many people will say he's garbage? The time Maino is mentioned, he's labeled garbage.

Last edited:
Naw, I think it's true

Because the time a New York rapper makes a radio song he's labeled garbage(Mims, French, Maino) if he's not lyrical.

Meanwhile the south can have a bunch of garbage rappers who just make catchy radio and club songs. Nobody expects them to be lyrical, so it's a totally different set of standards.

You go in a Yo Gotti thread, how many people will say he's garbage? The time Maino is mentioned, he's labeled garbage.
He is labeled garbage cause there is a disconnect. He says he acknowledges that NY music isn't what it should be during the Control situation. Then TJ says what he says AND instead of making good music he calls TJ to record him.

Threatens to put hands on him bla bla bla...

Those are garbage tendencies.

Witness the moves of a ***** beyond his time reaching for the light. TJ had the limelight more recently than Maino. This is nothing more than a reacher reaching for a reacher.

There is no win for him in this. Reaching for the guy (TJ) with no place at the table is silly. Maino is playing checkers with chess pieces on this one.

And that..is...Garbage.

Last edited:

For all the New York residents in here, who are the up and coming producers or current young producers that are helping to initiate the NEW New York sound.  Meaning, back in the day New York had Pete Rock, Premo, RZA, Beatnuts and others of course that helped establish the New York sound during that timeframe, which brought in the new wave of producers such as Swizz Beatz, Just Blaze, Heatmakerz and so forth .  Who are the producers now that are trying to create a new sound or a sound at all for New York, if any??

Last edited:

For all the New York residents in here, who are the up and coming producers or current young producers that are helping to initiate the NEW New York sound.  Meaning, back in the day New York had Pete Rock, Premo, RZA, Beatnuts and others of course that helped establish the New York sound during that timeframe, which brought in the new wave of producers such as Just Blaze, Heatmakerz and so forth .  Who are the producers now that are trying to create a new sound or a sound at all for New York, if any??
I'm not from NY but I produce so I watch  the scene pretty hard.

Harry Fraud is that new sound...no one is touching it...I have no clue why.

Lee Banon and Chuck Strangers as well. No one is hitting these guys up and I know NY aint that big.

Manhattan can fit inside DFW airport.
laugh.gif

I don't get it...its so much easier to move around and do business there. In the south its like throwing a rock to the roof of a skyscraper to get anything to pop.

Last edited:

For all the New York residents in here, who are the up and coming producers or current young producers that are helping to initiate the NEW New York sound.  Meaning, back in the day New York had Pete Rock, Premo, RZA, Beatnuts and others of course that helped establish the New York sound during that timeframe, which brought in the new wave of producers such as Swizz Beatz, Just Blaze, Heatmakerz and so forth .  Who are the producers now that are trying to create a new sound or a sound at all for New York, if any??
This is definitely a large part of the problem I've been meaning to speak on. There's a dearth of talent as far as upcoming NYC producers go. Not to mention the sample game is oversaturated. I think Harry Fraud put a nice spin on sampling and found a nice happy medium between old school NY and bringing something fresh sounding to the table. More producers out here need to follow that manuscript because the same old boom bap x overused soul sample isn't going to cut it anymore. There needs to be more producers creating new sounds instead of trying their hand at a sound that's was already perfected circa the Just Blaze/Kanye Rocafella era. Soul samples are still nice but no one wants to hear it if it isn't at least up to that standard that they set on BP1. I think that album was the highwater point and now a lot of these beats that have come after just sound dated and boring.

ArabMuzik :lol:

Theres really none

lets be real, the only person who got the potential to do that because they stay on their grind, keep their mouth shut and aren't on some "you needa listen to me" type ****.. nah they built a dedicated fanbase and established their brand outside of hip hop by delivering quality product and not forcing some "bring back new york"  "we need something new steeze". no, he just took elements of every region and influences and delivered quality sounding music that people of all demographics can **** with and marketed themselves and built their brand and a fanbase. their fans, and people who dont even like him will check for em just based off the brand. 

NY needs to embrace the likes of ASAP or at least respect them and learn a thing or two from their marketing strategies cause they the only dudes outta NY at this point who could drop an album that sounds innovative and dope but still NY and it will be actually be heard by people of all sorts, not just the hip hop nerds like us who lurk forums and blogs lol ("If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?")  and do something for the hip hop scene there

all these Troy Aves and **** or whatever.. they need get off that "im bringing NY back ****", no son.. you're not. you ain't bringing **** back, you ain't gonna be heard outside your block cause a. you're corny. b. you don't have appeal to those outside the hood or females (this is why a lot of rappers get big.. they got appeal) c. you're hatin on others with an already established fanbase and that is a career killer for upcoming NY artists with a little fanbase who just download their **** free off the internet 

the biggest problem with NY right now it seems is aside from a few, the old heads and new ones dont support their new artists like that. This is why I respect the likes of Nas, Banks, Bronson, ASAP.. at this point, they dont care about no rap politics ****.. they know what's what, and do their thing and stay on their grind and support who they **** with. Raps a hustle. If you talking too much about what others are doing who are above you at this point, it mean you aint doing enough yourself, aint makin the right moves, and ain't on your ****. if you don't **** with someone and think they're wack, make better music, grind harder, and make smarter moves.

sick of hearing about low tier rappers and people complaining about weirdos rappers, homo rappers and artists they don't like. there's a reason they are where they are it. because they made better moves than you did..stop making excuses (industry plants, illumanti, blah blah.. you sound like a racist who can't believe its possible for a black man to actually be successful) shut up, move on, and stay on your grind. put up or shut up.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think the problem with NY rap and this entirely from the outside looking in, seeing that I haven't been back to BK in four yeasr is that dudes just don't care about that drug rap anymore. What I mean by that is the subtle lyrical corner rap. It's like I listen to Joey Bad***** and it's straight boring. Sure he's lyrical, yeah the beat is smooth, yeah it's life in BK but man give me some of the frustration and i'm not talking about his lyrics.. I'm talking about the beats, the instrumentals ... IDK man it's the same reason why I like and hate listening Nas.

Like dudes in here talking about soul samples .. and what not ........ How about when you rap a song about a broken home, about drugs .... you go out and find a got damn musician that's on his way to bottom and knows it. ... stealing and scamming for heron.. about to sell his horn/snares/keys whatever ..... bring that dude in hit him with your deep rap and just let him sit in the studio and _______ play.. use that ____ to create a sound around .. something real. Not this soul less crap dudes be rapping over, spitting bars with no feeling behind them

Anyways I don't see ny coming back 'cause they don't understand why that southern sound is running things now.. It aint all about lighting up Ls and popping drugs. Some days its as simple as spending a week dealing with all this PC passive aggressive beta male bull... .Rolling down your windows peeling off in the parking lot .. hitting 100 on the highway letting the trunk bang out till your speakers blow ... What is hearing about flipping raw, growing up with no pops or your brother serving a life bid over a weak jazz sounding beat gonna do me .. when I wanna unleash pain into a world

Another reason, with technology everyone is a producer now, and there is no New York sound.

So everyone is chasing what's hot instead of creating their own lane.

Everyone couldn't be a producer back in the day.

You had Paul C who mentored Large Pro who helped usher and teach other producers
You had Marley who helped Pete Rock

And they all learned from one another or were connected in some way Diamond, Showbiz, Pete Rock, Beatnuts, Q-Tip, Havoc, Lord Finesse. They sharpened each other.

Now anyone with a computer can be a producer.

I'm starting to think the problem with NY rap and this entirely from the outside looking in, seeing that I haven't been back to BK in four yeasr is that dudes just don't care about that drug rap anymore. What I mean by that is the subtle lyrical corner rap. It's like I listen to Joey Bad***** and it's straight boring. Sure he's lyrical, yeah the beat is smooth, yeah it's life in BK but man give me some of the frustration and i'm not talking about his lyrics.. I'm talking about the beats, the instrumentals ... IDK man it's the same reason why I like and hate listening Nas.

Like dudes in here talking about soul samples .. and what not ........ How about when you rap a song about a broken home, about drugs .... you go out and find a got damn musician that's on his way to bottom and knows it. ... stealing and scamming for heron.. about to sell his horn/snares/keys whatever ..... bring that dude in hit him with your deep rap and just let him sit in the studio and _______ play.. use that ____ to create a sound around .. something real. Not this soul less crap dudes be rapping over, spitting bars with no feeling behind them

Anyways I don't see ny coming back 'cause they don't understand why that southern sound is running things now.. It aint all about lighting up Ls and popping drugs. Some days its as simple as spending a week dealing with all this PC passive aggressive beta male bull... .Rolling down your windows peeling off in the parking lot .. hitting 100 on the highway letting the trunk bang out till your speakers blow ... What is hearing about flipping raw, growing up with no pops or your brother serving a life bid over a weak jazz sounding beat gonna do me .. when I wanna unleash pain into a world

Dudes still talk about hustling if not drug rap

Ross, Pusha T, Jeezy, TI, 2 Chainz

But Kanye helped usher in a new wave of every day man rap...Kendrick, Drake, J Cole, Wale

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and responses regarding the new New York producers.  I saw the name Harry Fraud mentioned a few times, I don't think I heard any of his material but I'll search around and see what he has to offer.  From the outside looking in, I think some of the young producers in New York need to somehow band together or learn from some of the older producers like Magic1978 mentioned, to perfect their craft and help usher in a new sound or to just get hot to help some of the upcoming New York rappers get hot to start making better music.  Steel sharpens steel.

From Maino to Young Buck and Chamillionaire, NT is the ONLY place I hear of people actually listening to these "rappers" 

Man I'm gonna post a chamillionaire appreciation thread.

I'm tired of y'all fronting on the mixtape messiah :smh: :lol:

Frontin HARD. That's basically admitting that if you're not currently hearing or seeing an artist, they're garbage.

From Maino to Young Buck and Chamillionaire, NT is the ONLY place I hear of people actually listening to these "rappers" 

but Cheif Keef, 2 Chainz, and all that other crap is better?? :lol: i rather listen to all of the early 2000's music over the stuff that's currently labeled "hot" now.

Easily. Dudes talkin bout Maino like he's a Trinidad James here today gone tomorrow rapper, when the fact is he's been in the game over a decade already. That's hilarious to me. Like I said before, it's more about spite than what's actually going on.

Anyways, while we're appreciating Maino tracks

Aint nobody peepin that **** this ***** never made a good song before

Only Maino song that I can rock with like that is Rumors because that song concept is so funny . . . it's like he doesn't even care because no one wants to see him lol . . . seems like a song 50 Cent would do

Wait so now people in here tryna make maino a legit artist, i know most yall from NY on NT, but come on.

Looking at it from another angle the south, still is relevant, because all the vets have kept the boat from sinking, outkast, lil Wayne, T.I.P, jeezy, Ludacris and ross.

Ny vets let things diminish, cause I guess they had "Where always going be on top" attitude.

Bad Boy= drug addicts/inmates now (black rob, lion, G deep.

Dipset= let egos go wild, wouldn't go to war with 50 cent, eventually split up.

Roc a fella= dame and jay beef.

G-unit= got lazy, plus 50 a bully to much.

Ruff Ryder's= Dmx fizzling out due to his past. Other remembers just staying behind scene low key.

D-Block= not doing enough pop records to stay in the limelight.

List pretty much goes on the vets just trusted leaving an empire into the hands of unproven artist.

Last edited:

i'm from ny.

everything this guy said is almost exactly how i feel.

i can't rock with maino's music either for the record. maino and french, etc. are labeled as garbage for more than not having bars. good music is good music whether you have bars or not IMO.

Back
Top Bottom