Tyrant new show from FX Tuesdays 10pm

Wonder if anybody caught the premier of Tyrant I thought it was pretty dope the way the gave you the back story anyone care to discuss?

Last edited:
I posted about it in the movie and tv thread since there wasn't an official one for it. I hate the older brother so much. He deserves to have gasoline poured on him and lit on fire.

The son is horrible also. He acts like a giant douche whenever he's onscreen.

I'm certainly hooked, the brother is just acting out because he was never good enough for the President.

Not saying his behavior is justified because he is most certainly off the deep end.

My roommate says that Bassad's son is gay but I didn't catch it, I'm watching again.

I was wondering if I should make a thread for this myself. Definitely had my interest and it picked up towards the end. Even my wife was hooked watching it :lol:

Will have to catch the next couple to see how it develops.

Rewatching in case I missed something, and I def think the son is zesty. "Bunch of men in a sauna...bummer." With a grin on his face nonetheless. His sister telling him to be careful and this isn't America. Not to mention that one guy checking him out in the sauna.

Yea she is

I knew there was no way he was leaving the country, especially after his brother wrecked.

Last edited:
What they saying?
Sitting on a 54 out of 100 on metacritic. I just skimmed some reviews but they're saying it's a clumsy show, stereotypes Muslims, boring, cliched story, un-interesting characters. The plus is that the cast and acting is good. It is just the first episode so I'll give it a shot, shows usually catch steam around the 5-6 episode.

bout to catch this after the safehouse. 
nerd.gif

Not too shabby.

And tough critics.
A quick google search....

Tyrant, premiering Tuesday night on FX, brings the Godfather plot to the Middle East.

The Arab drama centers on Bassam Al-Fayeed (Adam Rayner), a Pasadena-based pediatrician who escaped his past and lives with his America wife (Jennifer Finnigan) and children (Anne Winters and Noah Silver) as Barry. That past, the pilot episode reveals, entails a Middle East upbringing in which he’s the youngest son of Khaled Al-Fayeed (Nasser Faris), the dictator of fictional nation Abbudin. When Barry returns, accompanied by his family, for the first time in 20 years, he’s thrown back into the familial and national politics of his youth.
Off-screen, Tyant has its own tumultuous back-story (thoroughly documented by Lacey Rose in her THR cover story), with a string of writers, directors and even creator Gideon Raff no longer involved with the highly sought-after project. At the helm is 24 and Homeland executive producer Howard Gordon, who is weaving a complex narrative—and attempting to navigate a sea of potentially controversial topics and negative Muslim stereotypes in that process.
PHOTOS 'Tyrant': Exclusive Portraits of the Middle East Drama's Cast
Read what top critics are saying about Tyrant:
The Hollywood Reporter's chief TV critic Tim Goodman says in his review that "the pilot is strong and entertaining but not immediately a knockout punch ... but that first episode ends in a place that will make viewers want to tune in the following week to see where it goes. And where Tyrant goes will be crucial — because while the storyline seems rather clear, the pilot doesn’t establish a tone and a direction that’s immediately identifiable ... it’s certainly provocative and complex, particularly given its ambition and scope, not to mention the foreign location and politically-charged backdrop for the Godfather-style premise."
Of the cast, he notes that "Rayner, a little-known actor, is a real find and excellently conveys the conflict of going back home (the writers and Gordon also do a fine job of telling his personality-shaping development through flashbacks). Finnigan is pretty great in most everything she does ... although we get just a small taste of Justin Kirk in the pilot as a U.S. diplomat, his presence here is welcome." Still, in watching only the pilot, Tyrant has its flaws. "Despite Barhom’s magnetic presence as Jamal, the character is written needlessly over the top in the pilot — to the point of maddening distraction ... it’s too early to give a definitive endorsement to Tyrant, despite its potential."
PHOTOS 2014 Critics' Choice TV Awards
The New York Times' Alessandra Stanley notes that it is "well made and enjoyable, but the fish-out-of-water subplot is the show’s weak spot. Barry’s wife and children are supposed to be foils, innocents abroad who serve as the viewer’s avatar in an unfamiliar, despotic world. But their naïveté is stranger than the country’s mysteries." While subsequent episodes are "a little less expository, and more action-driven" than the pilot, the series is still "a sophisticated thriller that oversimplifies its characters and narrative ... Tyrant tries so hard to make audiences comfortable with its foreign setting that the story becomes a little too familiar."
USA Today's Robert Bianco gives the series three stars out of four, as it is simultaneously "so intriguing — and so troubling." Still, "too many things that happen in tonight's premiere seem to stem not from character but from the need to generate enough storylines and conflict to sustain a series ... The larger problem is the often clumsy way in which this mythological kingdom has been constructed. With luck, growth will come, but anyone watching tonight could be forgiven for assuming that, with the exception of one brave journalist, the entire population of Abbudin is divided between the obsequious and the murderous."
The Washington Post's Hank Stuever bluntly writes that "an interesting premise rooted in Arab Spring idealism — what if an heir to a Middle Eastern dictator had a chance to turn his country into a peaceful democracy? — becomes immediately weighed down by depressing ambivalence and hokey story lines." Even more so, "Rayner gives a stiff, coolly disinterested (and uninteresting) performance, the opposite of what Tyrant desperately needs in a protagonist."
PHOTOS Summer TV Preview: 33 New Series on Cable and Broadcast
New York Daily News' David Hinckley tells viewers that "if you can gulp hard and swallow the premise of Tyrant, you’ll find another hard, dark, intense FX drama about a world in which a lot of the normal rules don't seem to apply ... this season's 10 episodes of Tyrant promise psychological trauma." However, "The more unique part of the show, though, could be its exploration of the Middle East at a depth and with a nuance rarely seen on American television."
Tyrant premieres Tuesday at 10 p.m. on FX.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tyrant-fx-review-what-critics-714309

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2014/06/tyrant_fx_review.html

http://time.com/2913046/tyrant-review-fx/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...owns-an-opportunity-for-nuance-in-stereotypes

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2014/06/fx_s_middle_east_drama_tyrant_reviewed.html

140506_thr_tyrant_0148.jpg

Last edited:
I've come to see with TV series you should always give it the first season at least.

:lol: at stereotypes Muslims, it's about a war torn Muslim country... I mean...

The main character is interesting.

His wife is annoying as ****.

She really is, its pretty obvious he went through somethings since he was born in a war torn country.
Of course she doesnt understand because all she knows is FWP

Why did they have to make the wife mentally challenged. *****, his dad is an evil dictator. Use your brain and put two and two together. Chances are some bad stuff happened. Does she not watch the news

And when your normally calm husband is scared and says let's leave the country, it probably isn't the best idea to question him and ask him to express his feelings.

Last edited:
I'm certainly hooked, the brother is just acting out because he was never good enough for the President.

Not saying his behavior is justified because he is most certainly off the deep end.

My roommate says that Bassad's son is gay but I didn't catch it, I'm watching again.

Bruh I don't know how you missed that lol...

The grin he had when he heard about how the bachelor party was going down..then he says to the other dude at the wedding he is interested in " just wanted to make sure we were't family"...zest is real

But yes the wife is getting on my nerves, he needs to Jamal her ***

The crotch bite had me like ooooooouuucccchhhhh!!! Show has my attention though

Last edited:
This show has potential.

I don't blame the family for not wanting to leave...all they see is the chance of living lavish

Son is most def gay. Haha. "Just making sure we're not related."

First episode was good. Wife is really dumb. 

Back
Top Bottom