Tyrant new show from FX Tuesdays 10pm

I'm actually surprised that critics are bashing this show. They're calling it a stereotypical portrayal of people? Kind of a stupid criticism since there are tons of shows with stereotypes and clichés. If it was set in a European, Latin American, or Asian country they wouldn't be complaining about stereotypes.

What I do agree about is how his wife is unrealistically naive. She seems dumb as rocks. She's probably the reason their son developed into an absolute idiot. He needed to get punched instead of slapped.

Last edited:
Is there a trend of stupid wives/lead female characters in recent shows?

It's really irritating to see it in this show and Ray Donovan.

I'm actually surprised that critics are bashing this show. They're calling it a stereotypical portrayal of people? Kind of a stupid criticism since there are tons of shows with stereotypes and clichés. If it was set in a European, Latin American, or Asian country they wouldn't be complaining about stereotypes.

What I do agree about is how his wife is unrealistically naive. She seems dumb as rocks. She's probably the reason their son developed into an absolute idiot. He needed to get punched instead of slapped.
I mean, it is pretty stereotypical by the book. Crazy brother who us not meant to lead because he's a loose cannon. Wayward Americanized son returns to save the day. Ailing father dies before telling son he wants him to lead. Main character will probably be tempted and cheat on wife. Rebellious kids.

Yea a lot if shows are cliched but they didn't even try to deviate with tyrant

It was a pretty okay premiere.

Main dude resembles Jim Caviezel to me.

I'm really bad at noticing these gay subplots on shows unless they're blatantly zesty and obvious. I did't catch on to the son being gay with his reactions but I definitely could tell the guy who smirked at him in the sauna was gay.

The brother's wife is fine :evil: :wow: :pimp: I want to dive in that asap.

The brother, Jamal (I'm assuming that's how it spelled :lol: ) is pitifully insane. Son knocking down some dude's wife with the insane disrespect. What he did to his son's wife was really messed up though.

I liked the reveal that the 2nd son was the really murderous one. I wonder what other atrocities he committed until he left. I actually would like to see his reluctant transformation in to a tyrant. Sort of a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde sort of relationship and was really doing it cuz he had to. Like if Walter White was forced to do the things he did not cuz he secretly enjoyed it.

The wife is annoying, the daughter is bland so far, I was about to really hate on the son until those 2 slaps :lol: I'm assuming he'll die at some point maybe after he comes out. I think the main conflict will be when the military dudes try to take over and this guy is forced to challenge them and then begins to do it cuz he has to and feels he needs to. He showed some intelligence so he'll make a good leader until it all goes spiraling out of control.

I was just thinking it's time to let go of Fargo until more info for S2 but then I remembered this show. FX is keeping watching their channel for now. I'll stick with this show for a few weeks and see if it gets better.
Is there a trend of stupid wives/lead female characters in recent shows?

It's really irritating to see it in this show and Ray Donovan.
Stupid annoying wives and usually dumb annoying daughters. That **** is permeating all of the new series on tv. I don't know it's like these writers don't know what else to do when it comes to writing a family and having the children play a part in it whether it's major or just secondary; Homeland, Ray Donovan, Breaking Bad, The Americans, etc. These shows either have one or the other, some have both :smh: :stoneface: :x

Last edited:
I finally saw a spoiled brat American white kid getting smacked into obedience. That alone was worth the watch :lol: :smokin The wife deserves to die though. "Why are you acting like this? You hit our son! I don't know you anymore!" Hope she gets blown up, or at least I hope Bassam smashes his brother's fine @#$ wife

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Ray Donovan's wife because i'll love Paula Malcolmson forever for being Trixie on Deadwood.

I hope Barry dumps his wife and gets someone fine like his sister-in-law. His son was acting like a punk refusing to go to the airport. They should've hit him as a child and maybe he wouldn't be so disrespectful.

Wanted to two piece his son when they got on the plane. The most interesting story would be if the son gets in good with the father, kills Jamal and makes a power play against his father.

This show will get a lot of flack but it looks good. Besides, nowadays if you depict any aspect of any culture it's 'stereotyping' sorry, middle eastern dictators live in palaces and bang subjects wives where they're kids eat breakfast...it happens.

So I was following the tyrant tag on tumblr and seems like a lot are complaining about it. Middle Eastern people are saying it's blatantly racist and it shows all the Middle Eastern people as evil, even though that isn't true. They also don't like that the actor playing Barry isn't Middle Eastern. I actually thought he was at least half. He was on the show Hunted and I thought he had a mixed ethnicity.

Thought Jamal's wife looked familiar.
from Rules of Engagement
MoranAtiasRulesOfEngagementS5E18a001.gif

Last edited:
His wiki just said he was half British and half American. When I first saw him on tv on a different show I thought he had some Arab heritage.

The wire was based on stereotypes.

The sopranos was based on stereotypes.

This is based on stereotypes :rolleyes

In addition, The Godfather.

Speaking of which, the show has the essential parallels:
Godfather/The Dictator
Sonny/Jamal (Old brother)
Bassam/Michael (Young brother)

The-cast-of-Tyrant.jpg

Checking in. Just started this joint over. How they just gonna save the son & let lil buddy get wet up? :smh:

Yeah when I saw jamal I instantly thought that he was a Sonny type character. Dude is way worse though.

The only devout Muslim character was the journalist who was tortured after trying to expose the truth. And the villain is a secular dictator like Sadam or Gaddafi. And that's anti Muslim somehow?

Critics / social justice warrirors don't even try anymore.

Last edited:
^^ Agreed. They were reaching, didn't see anything out of line with the shows portrayal. Show is cray, def has some potential. Bassam's marriage is gonna be pushed to the brink & I can sense some adultery a mile away probably from both sides. Ready for the next episode.

Not surprised that there's history between Bassam and Jamal's wife.
Speaking of which, that President wifey swag she delivered to the Doc when she asked about her son in order to ensure confidentiality. :nthat:

tyrant.jpg

The actor playing Barry is clearly Anglo. This was my first time seeing it and I could tell off the bat so I could see why Middle Eastern viewers would be upset. You have a white male coming to save the day again.

As for the show itself, it's OK so far. Surprised that they actually showed children getting executed. FX doesn't pull any punches (looking at you AMC).

The actor playing Barry is clearly Anglo. This was my first time seeing it and I could tell off the bat so I could see why Middle Eastern viewers would be upset. You have a white male coming to save the day again.

As for the show itself, it's OK so far. Surprised that they actually showed children getting executed. FX doesn't pull any punches (looking at you AMC).

They really couldn't find any Middle Eastern person to play Bassam? Dude's fake tan was pretty obvious the entire episode :smh: :lol:

I know he's half white in the show, but I know plenty of half white/half Middle Eastern or light skin Middle Eastern people and none of them look like a white guy with a spray tan

This is turning out to be one of those mediocre shows that I watch only to kill time on weekdays

Last edited:
Dude playing Barry reminds me so much of Jim Caviezel it's crazy. I too thought he was Muslim or at least half middle eastern.

Bassam's wife is horrible though. It's like one person can't be so insanely ignorant and naive and then be so blatantly unaware about it. Want to stick her nose in to **** and say all the wrong things. I totally understand Barry just not responding to her sometimes. I knew he use to smash Jamal's wife. These flashback really keep me watching.

Son just needs to get his Tyrion/Varys/Littlefinger on and take charge. I'm waiting to see how he gets rid of his uncle and somehow subdues his brother and becomes ruler. I think Jamal is just too far gone.

For the most part I don't understand the hate/criticism but them not being able to find someone of middle eastern ethnicity to play the main character is upsetting just how they always look change an Asian hero in to a white guy or somehow inject a white hero in to that type of story even if it's about black ppl.

Last edited:
A few good storylines...predictable but still good. Jamal's wife has some swag, threatening that Doctor! This dude Bassam was a straight G from a young age, all he wants to do us save his older brother. The Parellels between him and Micheal are clearly there. Bassam is going to have a turn. I hope it is Micheals story and he doesn't just try and be good.

Eh...I don't care where this dude is from, but he's a good actor. Race = everything to some

Back
Top Bottom