Uber hustle?

I did Uber for about 3 months and let me tell you the experience.

Good:

The majority of the people I picked up were young professionals or college students. Always nice to see good looking people.
Work anytime I wanted to. I usually did it during "surge pricing" as this is when I was able to get the most money.

Had some extra cash

Picked up a ****** who said I was cute. :rofl:

Bad:

During this time, I was renting out their phone. One day, they implemented a new move where they would be charging people with their phones $10week just for renting out their crappy iPhone 4. They finally realized that that was too much for the people and finally gave drivers the ability to use their own phone to do rides. But they never included Android users until just recently.

Fees - The fees were always so much. So, Uber gets 20% off of every ride. That's understandable but have you ever heard of the "safe driver fee"? Yeah, that's just Uber's way of getting $1 off of every ride as well. So you're really looking at Uber taking 25-30% off of the ride.

The only time a driver takes home $50k/year if they are doing it this everyday for 12 hours a day. It's not much for a PT driver who is just looking to take in extra cash. And yes city driving just absolutely kills your car and the gas mileage on your vehicle.

I did Uber for about 3 months and let me tell you the experience.

Good:

The majority of the people I picked up were young professionals or college students. Always nice to see good looking people.
Work anytime I wanted to. I usually did it during "surge pricing" as this is when I was able to get the most money.

Had some extra cash

Picked up a ****** who said I was cute. :rofl:

Bad:

During this time, I was renting out their phone. One day, they implemented a new move where they would be charging people with their phones $10week just for renting out their crappy iPhone 4. They finally realized that that was too much for the people and finally gave drivers the ability to use their own phone to do rides. But they never included Android users until just recently.

Fees - The fees were always so much. So, Uber gets 20% off of every ride. That's understandable but have you ever heard of the "safe driver fee"? Yeah, that's just Uber's way of getting $1 off of every ride as well. So you're really looking at Uber taking 25-30% off of the ride.

The only time a driver takes home $50k/year if they are doing it this everyday for 12 hours a day. It's not much for a PT driver who is just looking to take in extra cash. And yes city driving just absolutely kills your car and the gas mileage on your vehicle.

Why only 3 months and how many trips did you average a day?

ive thought about it but im always out on fri, sat and sundays so dont really see when i would make any money. Plus wouldnt want the wear and tear on my car, maintenance is already expensive enough

I think it's a matter of time before insurance companies raise the premiums on the drivers and it doesn't make it worth it.

I think it's a matter of time before insurance companies raise the premiums on the drivers and it doesn't make it worth it.

They should raise premiums. They need to have higher coverage as you are a Limo at that point.

You want to work in a business that's based on supply and demand, then you play by those same rules when it comes to insurance coverage premiums.

Last edited:
Once they put enough heat on Uber to force drivers to have those insurance premiums, prices will rise

Pops made a killing this weekend here in phx during SB weekend. Averaged 1200 a day since Thursday. Even shot me 2 people that needed a ride sat night and sun am for some extra loot and I ain't even linked up with uber :lol:

Been doing it for 2 months now. Had surge pricing right after superbowl. Did a 3 mile ride and made 52 dollars

1200 a day? :wow:
Was it surge pricing 24/7 this weekend in Arizona?

Thought about doing it at coachella but I don't know how I feel about having a bunch of drunk/people on drugs in my car

the ones that are making 50k-100k, are probably working way in excess of 40 hours per week...it literally seems like it is about the hustle, the more you drive, the more you earn...

That's not true. In major cities there are people working 30 hours making it. I know people here that is making this much off 30hours

1200 a day? :wow:
Was it surge pricing 24/7 this weekend in Arizona?

Thought about doing it at coachella but I don't know how I feel about having a bunch of drunk/people on drugs in my car
I posted numerous ads for my pops around the North east reigon, sea-tac and here via CL. He was gone from 8am til 1am though. It drains you with drive time but if your social and build strong rapport, the customers will remember u. He also mobs a blk tinted Tahoe which the richer crowd like. He also stated that the lbgt community tip cash the best :lol:

Hahaha. Our city has been charging them $2,000 a day since Dec. for operating in our city without the proper authority. Uber owes the city of eugene over 100k so far :x

Damn. What has he said in terms of safety?

I would do it, I would just sit one of my dude's in the front seat as security

Lol security in the front seat with a robber with a gun to the back of yaw heads in the back

ive thought about it but im always out on fri, sat and sundays so dont really see when i would make any money. Plus wouldnt want the wear and tear on my car, maintenance is already expensive enough

Yes but you can claim car as deduction for you business and claim gas and matience and depreciation even your car notes I be live

Basically by end of year your pockets will be so full and tax writes will put more money in your pocket, you can write off old car ,cop a new one and still profit big

My boy is an Uber driver in SF on weekends. He typically just drives Sat from 2pm to 3am and nets a cool $600 after Uber fees. Not sure if that includes gas expenses too. I couldn't do it but he has mouths to feed.

Man the hours sound brutal but he's a young dude working through school while supporting a child. I'm sure that 12 hour shift beats clockin in at Trader Joe's 3-4 times a week. I'm sure established professionals aren't itching to leave their jobs so they can make 90K a year driving people around. 

What?? 2pm to 3am is bad or brutal to make $600 driving around! Man yaw lazy

How are they ordering the cab? I can understand not wanting a dog to ruin your car you use as a source of income, but be a human being, sheesh.

How are they ordering the cab? I can understand not wanting a dog to ruin your car you use as a source of income, but be a human being, sheesh.
Honestly, I would assume the dog part is the biggest issue as to why they don't want to give them a ride

If you live in SF you know how awesome/useful Uber and Lyft are for that particular city. Now, you don't need a designated driver, you don't need to worry about parking, you can order a ride anywhere with your smart phone, etc. Also, it is significantly cheaper and easier to use than a taxi (since they now do carpool type services). I don't know if it is great everywhere else but it is 10/10 in SF.

This is a lot of wear and tear on your car, not to mention a high risk of accidents.

Handle your business if you need some quick cash though!

Back
Top Bottom