Uber hustle?

Ive had friends do it in other cities when there are big events like Coachella etc...Most have came up pretty good making a few thousand after they pay uber
I thought about doing it during coachella but figured there would be 848494948 cars out there

So what are some tips on making good money?

What is "surge" time?

I live by bush intercontinental airport, is this a good area to make money?

Thank you guys

i was really thinking about doing this on Saturdays. never thought about the negative outcomes and stuff like that. i assume it is no worse than being a taxi driver thought and you can start and stop when ever you want so that is a positive.

can you see what the passengers final destination will be? like point A to point B kinda thing.

Last edited:
i was really thinking about doing this on Saturdays. never thought about the negative outcomes and stuff like that. i assume it is no worse than being a taxi driver thought and you can start and stop when ever you want so that is a positive.

can you see what the passengers final destination will be? like point A to point B kinda thing.

I was in Miami and we needed an uber to the bar, 5 min away. My buddy was like "don't put the destination or else they may say nah, not worth it and not come." So we just got in the car and were like take us here :lol:

An uber driver was in the news here in so cal this week and his way of making more money was canceling a bunch of calls over and over, causing there to be a lack of drivers, therefore causing surge pricing.

I was in Miami and we needed an uber to the bar, 5 min away. My buddy was like "don't put the destination or else they may say nah, not worth it and not come." So we just got in the car and were like take us here :lol:

An uber driver was in the news here in so cal this week and his way of making more money was canceling a bunch of calls over and over, causing there to be a lack of drivers, therefore causing surge pricing.

the whole destination thing would be great... for instance going to the airport, which i end up going once every 4 months at least so three times a year i can uber someone and make money for something that i was already going to do. but if you work at the airport and want to make quick money for something you do every day then that's a big plus. :smokin

but i wanted to get a new car and wanted to write my payments off on the taxes. even tho it wont be the entire car payment that will be written off.... anything will be great hahaha.

and if a driver is cancelling calls cant you write them up or write bad reviews or something that will evidently should get them banned?

Last edited:
I rode uber today and got to speak at length with my driver about how the business side of uber works for him. It's not as lucrative As it seems, at least in NYC what with the mass amount of competition and having to drive into Jersey so often.

He used to be a yellow cab driver and said his biggest regret was going to uber from yellow cab. He makes less money and bought a brand new car for Uber so now he's in the hole for that.

Last edited:
^this
uber/lyft are illegal in some cities like orlando. ive heard ppl getting ticketed and cars towed. until uber complies with city laws, they arent gonna be allowed in these cities.

mentioned earlier, had a friend drive for them for awhile, but with paying your own gas/maintenance, and risk of getting in accident (be sure you got the right insurance) it wasnt worth it for him

Illegal in Orlando ? My dude whenever my moms comes out here to visit I always have the uber there to pick her up and drive her back to the airport. They don't care out here in Orlando.

If you could obtain a cheap 2005 or newer 4 door beater car thats really gas efficient and durable this seems like a great hustle.

driver cant see your destination, ever if you enter it, til he picks you up and hits "begin ride"

Thinking about getting a 2000 camry or civic for cheap just to do this for a couple months. Problem is I can't find one for less than 2k in cali with a billion miles on it.

Thinking about getting a 2000 camry or civic for cheap just to do this for a couple months. Problem is I can't find one for less than 2k in cali with a billion miles on it.

I know in some city's its 2005 or newer. Just make sure 2000 is good where ever you want to Uber at. Good luck!

I rode uber today and got to speak at length with my driver about how the business side of uber works for him. It's not as lucrative As it seems, at least in NYC what with the mass amount of competition and having to drive into Jersey so often.

He used to be a yellow cab driver and said his biggest regret was going to uber from yellow cab. He makes less money and bought a brand new car for Uber so now he's in the hole for that.

This is the story of many Uber Drivers I'm NYC. My friend did it and he used to tell me when Uber launched he was making $250-$300 a day easy. He decided to buy his own car instead of renting a car. I also then joined Uber. I made good money for 2 months? Then they dropped their rates and saturation began. Low rates + no surge makes it not worth it in NYC. I got out of it because I could and I actually benefited from it greatly because I had taxi license I applied to buy a green cab permit. I bought a little prius and now I rent and actually making good money off of it. It worked out for me, but there's thousands of people that took the L and are stuck working extensive hours to cover their expenses.

Last edited:
This is the story of many Uber Drivers I'm NYC. My friend did it and he used to tell me when Uber launched he was making $250-$300 a day easy. He decided to buy his own car instead of renting a car. I also then joined Uber. I made good money for 2 months? Then they dropped their rates and saturation began. Low rates + no surge makes it not worth it in NYC. I got out of it because I could and I actually benefited from it greatly because I had taxi license I applied to buy a green cab permit. I bought a little prius and now I rent and actually making good money off of it. It worked out for me, but there's thousands of people that took the L and are stuck working extensive hours to cover their expenses.

Been in many uber cabs since last winter. These people were basically sucked in because it was the thing that unemployed people, folks with cars, mid life crisis, house wives or husbands, and immigrants took on. Every driver I met was basically doing it for money but in order to make that they would have to slave 18 hours no lunch.
Kinda sucks TBH

Been in many uber cabs since last winter. These people were basically sucked in because it was the thing that unemployed people, folks with cars, mid life crisis, house wives or husbands, and immigrants took on. Every driver I met was basically doing it for money but in order to make that they would have to slave 18 hours no lunch.
Kinda sucks TBH

In NYC it's a lot different than anywhere. A lot of people that moved over to Uber were already in the industry. To drive for Uber here it's a process. Also, you can't just do it part time. It's not worth it for that. Other states you can just apply and be on the road without raising your expenses. I did it because I'm in the real estate business and I'm super flexible. It was a weekend gig that at first brought in about $800-$1000 a week (net). I figured it was worth it, but when they dropped the rates I got out ASAP.

It sucks for dudes who are in it as a career. Taxi business is huge out here and there's many people who depend on it to pay bills, mortgage, support their families etc. My friend this one dude who bought a brand new S500 and had a $2000 car note. Just one of many.

if any of you guys havent signed up yet and are still considering (and live in a college/busy/football/sports city) uber is guaranteeing 40/hr during peak times almost every weekend. (friday 3-7, sat 10-2am, sunday 10-2pm)

FHV liscense.

I meant they're trapped with the car note or rented the car from the cab company.

Some dude tells me he made more money driving a yellow cab and that uber lyft is just earning him 10-13/hr on good days

Any of you guys do this around LA. I'm seriously thinking of doing it. It's a side job. I have my main one already. This would be only weekends.

Most people I hear doing uber on the side and actually making $ are people who drive in big cities on the weekend during nightlife prime time 9p-230/3a. That's really the only time I ever use uber/lyft myself..

One thing I think a lot of people don't account for is the amount of wear and tear/mileage you rack up on your personal vehicle and I'm pretty sure dudes ain't stashing any of that uber money so when tax time rolls around their angus is never peppered.

i live in a college town so Uber is very popular out here, and some drivers make good money during game nights and weekends. If I had a newer car I'd do it as a side gig, never fill time

Bump. Got laid off in September so I'm thinking of trying this out as  a short term gig, as long as it doesn't f*** with my unemployment checks.

Back
Top Bottom