• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dunno why cell phones can't run on the same batteries hearing aids run on.  Cell phones would never die. 

I dunno why cell phones can't run on the same batteries hearing aids run on.  Cell phones would never die. 

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

keep in mind 3.0 will be for higher end devices only.

2.2 will be reserved for the rest of the crowd.

[h1]Good News! Android 3.0 Won't Split Platforms, Will Run on Lower-End Devices Too [/h1]

by
R1Lover

Published on 07-04-2010 10:22 PM
If, like most, you believed it unfair that Google would announce Android 3.0 and have it cater exclusively to just the high-end devices, here’s a little update that should make you feel better that the ‘Gingerbread’ version of Android aka 3.0 had a few pre-requisites for it to run on an Android based device. All of which were high-end components like 1GHZ CPUs, 512MB RAM, large display sizes (3.5-inches and higher). All of that still holds true, however, updates are saying that those requirements are just recommended components not the minimum requirement. This will of course mean that the Android platform will not be split into high and low end versions, that’s a little good news.
img235272androidgingerb.jpg

also, for the guy who asked about the droid x dock:
http://www.droidforums.ne...colors-time-5-0-9-a.html

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

keep in mind 3.0 will be for higher end devices only.

2.2 will be reserved for the rest of the crowd.

[h1]Good News! Android 3.0 Won't Split Platforms, Will Run on Lower-End Devices Too [/h1]

by
R1Lover

Published on 07-04-2010 10:22 PM
If, like most, you believed it unfair that Google would announce Android 3.0 and have it cater exclusively to just the high-end devices, here’s a little update that should make you feel better that the ‘Gingerbread’ version of Android aka 3.0 had a few pre-requisites for it to run on an Android based device. All of which were high-end components like 1GHZ CPUs, 512MB RAM, large display sizes (3.5-inches and higher). All of that still holds true, however, updates are saying that those requirements are just recommended components not the minimum requirement. This will of course mean that the Android platform will not be split into high and low end versions, that’s a little good news.
img235272androidgingerb.jpg

also, for the guy who asked about the droid x dock:
http://www.droidforums.ne...colors-time-5-0-9-a.html

I want to see a phone that can compare to the HTC EVO 4G on t mobile's HSPA+. The good thing about HSPA+ is that its not a new frequency like Wimax but an enhancement to the 3g service that should compete pretty good with Wimax/4G Speeds.

I might just wait to see what device will be released with Android 3.0, but if i see a phone that I really like on t mobile with hspa+ support than I'm copping that, contract free of course.

I want to see a phone that can compare to the HTC EVO 4G on t mobile's HSPA+. The good thing about HSPA+ is that its not a new frequency like Wimax but an enhancement to the 3g service that should compete pretty good with Wimax/4G Speeds.

I might just wait to see what device will be released with Android 3.0, but if i see a phone that I really like on t mobile with hspa+ support than I'm copping that, contract free of course.

Originally Posted by Beast4ya

does it permanently double the battery life?
*goes to try it
The only proven methods to increase battery life are turning off mobile/wifi/sync when you're not going to be using your phone for awhile & to root and underclock the cpu.
Other than that, fiddling around with settings, using dark backgrounds (an all black background has done me wonders), not using live wallpapers, and figuring out which apps/widgets are causing your battery to drain (you can use an app like Spare Parts to figure out which are/aren't) are the only true ways to save some battery drain. 

Alot of task killers aren't working with Froyo anymore, but that's been a blessing for me. Ever since I deleted ATK, my battery has been great. You can do a hard reset too and see if that helps, it has for a ton of people. (just backup your apps/contacts to your sd card).

And those cheap 2 for $10 batteries with a dock charger have been proven to be just as good as the OEM batteries. I bought 2 sets. I keep 1 in my wallet. 1 at work. (2 in my car glove box...for my co-workers, a bunch of us have HTC phones) and I have my stock one. I can't even remember when's the last time I charged my phone via the cable...

I just swap em out and put them in the docks to recharge. When I need a fresh one, I pop one in...
pimp.gif

Here's a review of the Chinese eBay batteries btw...

[h3]Reader review: Aftermarket batteries for HTC EVO 4G[/h3]

This guest review was written by Anthony Martino.

Up for review, we have a pair of aftermarket (third-party, generic, etc.) batteries and desktop charger for use with the HTC EVO 4G. I purchased them from eBay sellertuttoit, and they came packaged together for just $9.98, shipping included. Being that I've worked intimately with batteries of all sorts for the past couple years, I was curious as to whether or not these very inexpensive batteries could be worth even the pittance they were asking.
http://
The package arrived from Hong Kong safely and about as quickly as one could hope. Inside were two loose batteries and a boxed desktop charger.

The battery labels say "replacement for HTC Touch Pro2," but the auction was listed specifically for the EVO. This is not uncommon, as a handset manufacturer often uses the same battery in a number of devices; the EVO can share a battery with the Touch Pro 2 (obviously), the Hero, and probably a couple others. The specs are listed as 3.7vDC (same as all modern cell phones) and 1500mAh, which is identical to that of the stock EVO battery. For those that do not know, the milliamp hour rating, abbreviated mAh, is the rating that tells us the overall capacity of a particular battery. The higher the number, the more work you can get out of the battery before it dies.

The charger is a simple, sturdy piece with a flip out plug, USB output, and charge indicator light. The main dock is rated at 350mA, plus or minus 50mA, which is somewhat odd to see. It's a relatively slow charge rate, with the average household charger putting out around a half amp (500mA) and the included EVO rated at a full amp (1000mA). The USB, conversely, is rated at 800mA.

I found the choices of color for the indicator a little odd, purple for charging and blue for charged, but they get the job done. Not much more to say except that it does what it's supposed to and that I tested the USB-out to make sure it worked to charge the EVO (with the EVO's included micro USB cord) while a spare was in the dock. I guess if space were at a premium on your power strip, that would be a nice feature.

Now the fun part.

I ran both batteries on a piece of equipment that we refer to as "the Cadex." What it does is charges them fully then discharges them at a user-specified rate and times how long it takes to deplete the battery.

I ran the first battery right out of the box at 750mA. It reached 89% of its advertised capacity on the first cycle, which is about 1300mAh. Not bad. The second battery received a charge on the desktop charger before the test, which was to test the charger more than anything. It was run through at a brisk 1500mA and finished at 87%, which again is just over 1300mAh. Usually we can get that number up just slightly on a second cycle, so they were run again, both at 1500mAh this time, and they reached 91 and 89 percent, respectively.

Finally confident that they wouldn't self-destruct in my precious phone, I tried them each out in the phone. They both powered it on without issue and ran the phone through a full day.

So, the deal that was too good to be true . . . for once, wasn't. It should be noted that I've been witness to several horror stories that involved these types of unknown batteries. Where I was apparently lucky, many have not been; their problems have ranged from the batteries just being incompatible to actually "venting" and damaging the device.

I would advise only buying from sellers with good feedback, and if you get a package deal with an external charger, use that for the battery's first charge and don't leave it unattended.

Originally Posted by Beast4ya

does it permanently double the battery life?
*goes to try it
The only proven methods to increase battery life are turning off mobile/wifi/sync when you're not going to be using your phone for awhile & to root and underclock the cpu.
Other than that, fiddling around with settings, using dark backgrounds (an all black background has done me wonders), not using live wallpapers, and figuring out which apps/widgets are causing your battery to drain (you can use an app like Spare Parts to figure out which are/aren't) are the only true ways to save some battery drain. 

Alot of task killers aren't working with Froyo anymore, but that's been a blessing for me. Ever since I deleted ATK, my battery has been great. You can do a hard reset too and see if that helps, it has for a ton of people. (just backup your apps/contacts to your sd card).

And those cheap 2 for $10 batteries with a dock charger have been proven to be just as good as the OEM batteries. I bought 2 sets. I keep 1 in my wallet. 1 at work. (2 in my car glove box...for my co-workers, a bunch of us have HTC phones) and I have my stock one. I can't even remember when's the last time I charged my phone via the cable...

I just swap em out and put them in the docks to recharge. When I need a fresh one, I pop one in...
pimp.gif

Here's a review of the Chinese eBay batteries btw...

[h3]Reader review: Aftermarket batteries for HTC EVO 4G[/h3]

This guest review was written by Anthony Martino.

Up for review, we have a pair of aftermarket (third-party, generic, etc.) batteries and desktop charger for use with the HTC EVO 4G. I purchased them from eBay sellertuttoit, and they came packaged together for just $9.98, shipping included. Being that I've worked intimately with batteries of all sorts for the past couple years, I was curious as to whether or not these very inexpensive batteries could be worth even the pittance they were asking.
http://
The package arrived from Hong Kong safely and about as quickly as one could hope. Inside were two loose batteries and a boxed desktop charger.

The battery labels say "replacement for HTC Touch Pro2," but the auction was listed specifically for the EVO. This is not uncommon, as a handset manufacturer often uses the same battery in a number of devices; the EVO can share a battery with the Touch Pro 2 (obviously), the Hero, and probably a couple others. The specs are listed as 3.7vDC (same as all modern cell phones) and 1500mAh, which is identical to that of the stock EVO battery. For those that do not know, the milliamp hour rating, abbreviated mAh, is the rating that tells us the overall capacity of a particular battery. The higher the number, the more work you can get out of the battery before it dies.

The charger is a simple, sturdy piece with a flip out plug, USB output, and charge indicator light. The main dock is rated at 350mA, plus or minus 50mA, which is somewhat odd to see. It's a relatively slow charge rate, with the average household charger putting out around a half amp (500mA) and the included EVO rated at a full amp (1000mA). The USB, conversely, is rated at 800mA.

I found the choices of color for the indicator a little odd, purple for charging and blue for charged, but they get the job done. Not much more to say except that it does what it's supposed to and that I tested the USB-out to make sure it worked to charge the EVO (with the EVO's included micro USB cord) while a spare was in the dock. I guess if space were at a premium on your power strip, that would be a nice feature.

Now the fun part.

I ran both batteries on a piece of equipment that we refer to as "the Cadex." What it does is charges them fully then discharges them at a user-specified rate and times how long it takes to deplete the battery.

I ran the first battery right out of the box at 750mA. It reached 89% of its advertised capacity on the first cycle, which is about 1300mAh. Not bad. The second battery received a charge on the desktop charger before the test, which was to test the charger more than anything. It was run through at a brisk 1500mA and finished at 87%, which again is just over 1300mAh. Usually we can get that number up just slightly on a second cycle, so they were run again, both at 1500mAh this time, and they reached 91 and 89 percent, respectively.

Finally confident that they wouldn't self-destruct in my precious phone, I tried them each out in the phone. They both powered it on without issue and ran the phone through a full day.

So, the deal that was too good to be true . . . for once, wasn't. It should be noted that I've been witness to several horror stories that involved these types of unknown batteries. Where I was apparently lucky, many have not been; their problems have ranged from the batteries just being incompatible to actually "venting" and damaging the device.

I would advise only buying from sellers with good feedback, and if you get a package deal with an external charger, use that for the battery's first charge and don't leave it unattended.

I'm about to stop using widgets all together. I feel like they're cool but a waste for the most part.

I'm about to stop using widgets all together. I feel like they're cool but a waste for the most part.

I'm going to get the evo on sunday. How can I get 20+% off my monthly bill? Thanks in advance.

I'm going to get the evo on sunday. How can I get 20+% off my monthly bill? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom