Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They could offer him a max deal when he hits the FA market...of course the Pistons could try to match, but would they?

So strange speaking of the Wizards having ample cap space for some signings going forward. Let's just hope that EG doesn't screw things up.

Someone explain to me why Wittman is dead set on handing Ariza the starting job.  If you're going to build chemistry, build it with guys who will actually be here 2-3 years from now.  Ariza is dead weight.  You're not "showcasing" him for a trade down the road.  His value is as an expiring contract.  Nobody, in 2014, is bringing in Trevor Ariza because they think he's the missing piece.  

Get Webster some reps with the starting unit.  Make him earn his money.  What are we grooming Ariza for?  To replace Shane Battier on the Heat next year?

Similarly, why is GR Jr. getting under 5 minutes a game?  They seemingly only put him in at the end of games... and in at least two of those games he's knocked down clutch jumpshots.  I don't think he's at risk of hitting the rookie wall if played 15 minutes a game.  He already knows what it's like to play professional basketball.

These rotations are a joke.   It's like they're trying to undermine the team's confidence.  They're putting starters in no-win situations against nobodies.  They're telling the reserves that they can't be trusted in an exhibition.  
I just hope that the FO realizes how thin the team is up front and makes a move to bolster the roster. Jan, obviously, ain't it. Seraphin is too up/down to count on. I hope the team does it's due diligence and tries to figure out a way to bring in either Asik or Gortat.
To swing any type of trade, you'd be looking for an "odd man out."  That means you're looking to teams that have just replaced or are on the verge of replacing an existing starter.  Houston with Asik.  Phoenix (depending on Len's development) with Gortat.  Detroit with Greg Monroe.  

Of those three, Monroe is the most attractive player.  Is it smart for the Pistons to decline his option and allow him to enter restricted free agency?  Yes, actually.  The restricted tag gives him trade value this year.  Teams interested in retaining his services long term have a reason to make that deal at the deadline rather than simply waiting to throw money at him in the offseason, hoping Detroit won't match.  The Pistons will FINALLY wrest themselves free from the disastrous Charlie Villanueva and Rodney Stuckey deals this summer, yielding a cap savings of about $17 million.  That's enough for a max contract.  Everyone knows that they prefer Drummond to Monroe and they're committed to paying Josh Smith $14 million annually through 2017.  They desperately need help at the 2 and 3 spots.  It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to create a $42 million logjam in the frontcourt.  That said, Monroe's due for a "down year" with the arrival of Josh Smith.  This gives them a bit of a hedge.  If they match a reasonable offer sheet and retain him at a bargain rate, they'll be thrilled.  If not, then it at least sets up a sign and trade scenario, where they get something back to facilitate Greg signing somewhere else.  Had Detroit put this off until next season, they'd likely lose him and have nothing to show for it.  This season, they'll have options.  

Now, Washington has about $21 million coming off the books when Okafor and Ariza expire.  That's more than enough to max out Monroe - though I don't think he's worth it.  If you could get him in the $11 million range, so be it.  Everyone overpays for bigs.  I can deal with Pekovic money.  However, max salaries should go to All Star caliber players.  Monroe isn't on that level.  
There's absolutely no way the Wizards can net Monroe without giving up Beal.

Porter + Okafor or Ariza wouldn't cut it.
Okafor and Ariza mean nothing to Detroit since Monroe can be considered an expiring anyway.  They're just ballast.  That said, there's no way they're getting anyone even remotely close to Bradley Beal for a restricted free agent - even in a sign and trade this summer.  Porter's about the best they can hope for.  Honestly, even he is too high of a price.  

Detroit is not going to match a max offer sheet for Monroe.  It just doesn't make sense.  If you're gonna go after him, do it this summer.  Getting him this season does what?  Drives up the price, forces us to match any offers for Monroe this summer (even a MAX offer, which he's more likely to attract after a good statistical season in Washington than a poor statistical season in Detroit) or risk giving away a good asset for nothing, and it hurts our draft status.  

There's no need for the Wizards to make a panic move just to lose in the first round this year.  They need to look at the big picture.  WORST case scenario for Washington:  you miss the playoffs, wind up with a low percentage lottery chance in a good draft, you have Okafor AND Ariza coming off the books.  You have a chance to bring Okafor, who, if healthy, is a quality starter, at a discounted rate next season.  Let Ariza walk and address your frontcourt depth in free agency.  

Best case for Detroit:  they pry Rudy Gay loose from Toronto, since Ujiri didn't bring him in and he doesn't seem to mesh with their team.  More likely, they take what they can get this summer in a sign and trade - and the Wizards can be as aggressive there as anyone.  

Did Otto really look that bad in summer league? Haven't heard one good thing about him the past two months :smh:

I agree with you meth i don't think Monroe is worth a max if we look at him as a free agent. And honestly i like the thought of Asik if it doesn't work out for monroe as a consolation. But Asik isn't going to be an offensive threat so porter, beal and wall better be the offense if thats the case but asik is an excellent rebounder and defender.

I hope we can get off to a good start this year. But if it takes Wall time to round into shape and otto being out...i am fearing for another slow start.

Monroe WILL get a max deal though. Whether he deserves it or not, is another debate. Point being, centers get paid.

As far as Webster coming off the bench, is it for balance?

Seraphin
Ves
Ariza
?
Maynor

:x

I'm just grasping at straws here because I really have no clue....I also don't get why GRJr isn't getting more burn.

Season can't get here soon enough. I'm really curious to see how things shake out.

Monroe WILL get a max deal though. Whether he deserves it or not, is another debate. Point being, centers get paid.
A bad max contract is the hallmark of the underachiever.  I think Monroe signs in the $12.5 million range, using Pekovic's deal as a precedent.  The guy's not an All Star and he isn't the rim protector that Hibbert is.  His numbers will be down this year.  

Is he worth that much more than Pek, Larry Sanders, Andrew Bynum, JaVale McGee (I know), Al Horford (an All Star making $12 million annually and putting up better numbers on a team that may or may not have him in their plans moving forward), DeAndre Jordan, Marcin Gortat, Tiago Splitter, ... and so on?  Yeah, centers get paid.. but max money for a third tier big?  No.  You don't pay max money to field a mismatch down low every third game.  You pay max money to DOMINATE at that position.  Anything less than that is a waste, and you're better off adding two $7 million players than one $14 million player who isn't dominant at his position.  

Okafor may not give us 16 & 9, but if he's willing to sign for $9-$10 million I'd rather do that than max out Greg.  Within this budget, we still have to pay Beal (who's looking like a legit max player) and replace Nene in a couple of years.  Maxing out Monroe might give us 10 more wins in a best case scenario, but at what cost?  The goal should be to compete for a championship.  If he'd rather be the best paid player on a terrible team, more power to him.  I just see overpaying him as a panic move, like giving a hobbled Gilbert Arenas an $111 million jackpot.

Asik is interesting because he's sort of a poison pill.  Houston back-loaded his deal, so he's due a whopping $14.8 million next season.  Bringing him in would be a risk, but it also means we could get him THIS year and the price would be right (the trade price, that is).  That's a player you COULD swing in exchange for cap relief and little else.  From there, it would get a bit murky.  We could afford to pay Asik that much next season, and he'd also become a more valuable trade chip as a massive expiring contract, but does really that translate into solving our frontcourt problem?  You'd rather lock a guy in for longer at more favorable terms, or bring in a bonafide max player (read: an All Star), than overpay to fill a need.

The last thing we want is to overextend financially JUST to get into the playoffs.  That's how you wind up mediocre: you commit too much money to an incapable core.  We don't to be in that Atlanta Hawks, perennial first round losers with no financial flexibility for five years, situation.  You'd waste Wall's prime years.  
As far as Webster coming off the bench, is it for balance?
That's a thought, but his value for this team has been as a spot-up shooter.  Wall is a drive and kick guy.  Playing him with Ariza, Nene, and Okafor meant one thing:  PACK THE LANE.  You're much better off playing Wall, Beal, and Webster together for floor balance.  

Al Harrington is the guy best suited to creating his own shot off the bench right now.  Put him out there with GR Jr. and at least you have more than one person capable of putting the ball in the basket.  

Historically, Randy has rarely played a true "second unit."  He often staggers in rotations so that there's a mixture of starters and reserves on the floor much of the time.  The second team we see on paper isn't what we actually get on the court.  What bothers me, though, is that we paid Webster a TON of money this summer, knowing we just brought in a small forward, and where is he on the depth chart now?  When Otto comes back, will he get the GR Jr. treatment?  

It's obvious that Trevor should be the odd man out there.  He doesn't have a future with this team.  Instead, he's starting and that's undermining the very players we're investing in long term.  Get this coach out of here already.  

I don't know if Wittman is trying to showcase Ariza's trade value or what. He should not be starting.

I actually like him a lot as a wing defender and think he deserves solid minutes so he can limit opposing wings. If that's what Wittman is trying to do I understand but we need all scorers in that first unit. Martell is basically useless when he's not playing with Wall/Beal/Nene because he needs to be assisted to get his shots.

Btw, you guys HAVE to see this interview of Gilbert.. :lol: the vid is in the link at the bottom, here is an excerpt from the transcript (trust me, the video is better so you can see the reactions)

Gilbert Arenas was recently asked by TMZ whether his contract was the worst in NBA history. His response surely has Wizards executives choking on their Frosted Mini-Wheats.
“What I did to get the contract was different than what I’ve done since I got the contract,” Arenas said, accurately. “I got hurt before I got the contract and I still got rewarded. So it’s not like I tricked somebody. They knew I was hurt. I didn’t play that year; I played like [13] games the year before my contract and I got the contract anyway, because of what I DID. You get paid on what you did, not what you’re GONNA do. That’s what people don’t understand. You get paid on what you did.”
I mean, I don’t think that’s really how it works. But you probably knew that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...n-his-wizards-contract/?wpsrc=AG0003001&clsrd

Last edited:
Gortat, Shannon Brown, Kendall Marshall for Okafor and pick (s) is the latest.

Grunfeld knows Ted ain't playing about playoffs or bust, dude knows his neck is on the line this season.

Throwing in a first rounder for a possible rental. Typical Grunfeld. :lol:

Otherwise, good trade for the Wizards.

The pick is 2014 whyyyy.. only top 12 protected, why not lottery protected??

Typical Grunfeld move. We are gonna miss the playoffs by a couple games and land 13th pick, watch.

Marshall will likely be cut, our roster is at capacity. I think we will cut Singleton too so we can keep Shannon Brown, at least he is an NBA caliber player.

As far as this season, its a good trade. Gortat is a beast down low and will help us make the playoffs.

But the pick should have been 2015 or had more protection, this draft is too strong to give up a potential #13 pick.

Last edited:

Grunfeld knows Ted ain't playing about playoffs or bust, dude knows his neck is on the line this season.
And this is where you, as an owner, need to understand when a GM's best interests aren't necessarily aligned with the long-term interests of the franchise.  

Grunfeld has nothing to lose here.  The Wizards, on the other hand, have a lot to lose.

If it doesn't work out, Grunfeld's gone.  They can only hang you once.  Whether he misses the playoffs or misses the playoffs AND threw away a late lottery pick makes no difference to him.  The outcome is the same.  For the team, it's huge.

Gortat's an unrestricted free agent.  He can walk, just as Okafor could.  For a one year rental, we're potentially giving up a pick in the 13-16 range.  Look at what the Boston Celtics have done with picks in that range in recent years.  Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk would help this team, and those guys snagged in WEAK drafts.  To lose our first rounder next year JUST to get blown away by Miami in round one isn't that appealing to me - especially since you could package the pick and get better via trade.  

Shannon Brown could potentially make this team, but he's a rental, too.  

It'll make for a more entertaining season, since I assume the prognosis for Okafor was grim, but the ultimate goal should always be to compete for a championship.  To that end, this trade may very well go down as a step back rather than a step forward.  

^^^° Apparently every player not named Gortat will be waived. This trade was essentially Gortat for Okafor and a pick.

Yall weren't gonna get anyone decent without the pick...the hope is that the Wiz will do well enough to keep the pick which they very well could.  Scared money don't make money.

[thread="509566"]Quote:[/thread]

And this is where you, as an owner, need to understand when a GM's best interests aren't necessarily aligned with the long-term interests of the franchise.  

Grunfeld has nothing to lose here.  The Wizards, on the other hand, have a lot to lose.

If it doesn't work out, Grunfeld's gone.  They can only hang you once.  Whether he misses the playoffs or misses the playoffs AND threw away a late lottery pick makes no difference to him.  The outcome is the same.  For the team, it's huge.

Gortat's an unrestricted free agent.  He can walk, just as Okafor could.  For a one year rental, we're potentially giving up a pick in the 13-16 range.  Look at what the Boston Celtics have done with picks in that range in recent years.  Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk would help this team, and those guys snagged in WEAK drafts.  To lose our first rounder next year JUST to get blown away by Miami in round one isn't that appealing to me - especially since you could package the pick and get better via trade.  

Shannon Brown could potentially make this team, but he's a rental, too.  

It'll make for a more entertaining season, since I assume the prognosis for Okafor was grim, but the ultimate goal should always be to compete for a championship.  To that end, this trade may very well go down as a step back rather than a step forward.  
I agree with the Grunfeld hate, I despise dude and I hope he gets canned no matter what happens with this season.

However, this move increases our chances of making the playoffs and I'm all for that. I'm tired of us being in the goddamn lottery every year. So that's where I'm at with it personally.

I wish the pick was top 14 protected but it's okay. The draft is deep, but looking at it now it's really not more than 12-14 deep. The big names everyone is talking about for next year's draft, we'd have no chance at anyways.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Looking at big man prospects, Cauley and Embiid will likely be gone before 12.

We would be left with someone like Mitch McGary. Franchise-changer? Ehh.. I doubt it.

Last year there was Len, Noel, Zeller, Steven Adams, Olynyk, Nogeuira, Dieng, Gobert all as solid big men prospects in the first round. This year is more loaded up on wings, the big men seem to be scarce. I'm not an expert on draft stuff but that seems to be the case from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom