Washington Wizards 2012-2013 Season Thread - Thanks for a great year!

Will the Washington Wizards make the playoffs this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

:smh:

I like Gortat, but this trade feels like Ike Austin redux. Not a fan of giving up the pick. Seems like a panic move to me.

I guess there will be a wait and see approach here, but I just don't know....this is SOOOOO grunfeld.

*edit*

hold up....is this right?

The Suns traded starting center Marcin Gortat, Shannon Brown, Malcolm Lee, Kendall Marshall and a 2014 first-round pick to the Wizards for the expiring contract of Emeka Okafor and a protected 2014 first-round pick.

Link

If so, I'll change my stance...

Last edited:
Based on you guys losing a first, this is a trade you make if you think you're at least an 8 seed, because mid-round NBA picks aren't that valuable. Gortat is clearly an upgrade over Okafor and a good longterm piece. However, if there's a big injury or the team struggle... Losing that first will really hurt.

If you get a 2014 from the Suns it's just a ridiculous steal.

That thing about the Suns first is definitely a typo. :lol:
It's too early to compare this trade to that abortion.

If Gortat helps us make the postseason for the first time in 5 years, it's automatically a million times better.

Based on you guys losing a first, this is a trade you make if you think you're at least an 8 seed, because mid-round NBA picks aren't that valuable. Gortat is clearly an upgrade over Okafor and a good longterm piece. However, if there's a big injury or the team struggle... Losing that first will really hurt.

If you get a 2014 from the Suns it's just a ridiculous steal.
The pick is top-12 protected. If we end up in the bottom 12 we keep the pick.

The worst case scenario would be us getting 13th pick, ie missing the playoffs AND losing our first :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
While the NBA Draft is usually a crap shoot once you get into the teens, it's bad business trading away cheap labor.

I think Gortat will work out fine for the team (at least for this year) and like Marc Stein pointed out, Nene can stay at the 4. Wizards starting lineup should be very competitive and decent.

Gortat
Nene
Ariza
Beal
Wall

Ariza now becomes the wild card...what will he be flipped for? Carlos Boozer? JK...but seriously, I don't think there's a chance that he finishes the year w/ the team.

If this team falters, you'd have to think that the Wizards would move Gortat before the deadline.

Hell of a grab.

I don't know how anyone can dislike this for the Wizards. The pick is protected. If we end up sucking ******...we still get our pick in a loaded draft.

Too bad we couldn't keep Kendall. He can't possibly be any worse than Eric Maynor.

It may be a "band-aid" move but I'll take it before I go into the season with Vesley or Seraphin as a starter

Last edited:
While the NBA Draft is usually a crap shoot once you get into the teens, it's bad business trading away cheap labor.
Well obviously if Okafor was healthy, it would be much better to have a healthy Okafor + our pick.

But there was no timetable on Okafor's return, and we already have no depth in our frontcourt. We had no center, so we traded a PROTECTED first for a legitimate starting C. I'm okay with that.

People can call it panicking or whatever but we did what we had to do to remain a competitive team.

Last edited:
Who gets waived? Roster is at 18, Malcolm Lee is good as gone but who else?
It would be stupid to waive Shannon & Kendall or Rice.
Id waive Lee, Temple and dunno who would be the 3rd.

My source is yahoo/espn both reported all players were waived except Gortat

I really wanted Brown too, im guessing they didnt wanna create tension with Beal and a obvious minutes struggle

Team also just declined the options on Vesely and Chris Singleton.

Link

I really think they're gearing up to offer Greg Monroe a max deal once he hits FA.

Wall
Beal
Webster/Porter
Nene
Monroe

Wall
Beal
Porter/Webster
Monroe/Nene
*Gortat

*Assuming he's re-signed after this year.

Not sure what the Wizards have in-store for 2014, but they do have themselves in a nice position to make a splash via FA next summer.

Hopefully, Grunfeld is shown the door...but he's under immense pressure to get this squad to the playoffs...or he's going to be unemployed.

Gortat is a very nice pickup. The Wizards have done a very good job of getting rid of those class clown type guys and bringing in more serious business minded players, even though that gun saluting Wiz team is a personal fave of mine :lol:

Team also just declined the options on Vesely and Chris Singleton.

Link

I really think they're gearing up to offer Greg Monroe a max deal once he hits FA.

Wall
Beal
Webster/Porter
Nene
Monroe

Wall
Beal
Porter/Webster
Monroe/Nene
*Gortat

*Assuming he's re-signed after this year.

Not sure what the Wizards have in-store for 2014, but they do have themselves in a nice position to make a splash via FA next summer.

Hopefully, Grunfeld is shown the door...but he's under immense pressure to get this squad to the playoffs...or he's going to be unemployed.
With this move I feel like the Monroe ship has sailed now. If the Drummond/Monroe/Smith lineup ends up beasting there's no way Detroit will let him walk. That's a contending core right there if it works.

If it's not working out, instead of letting him walk in FA for nothing they'll just trade him before the deadline for whoever can offer 2014 picks and expirings. We had an outside chance there but obviously we just took ourselves out of the running (in exchange for a more sure thing, imo)

A team with more assets like PHX would jump on that with their 3 protected firsts. Then they still have their own first which will likely be top 5. So they could be looking at Len/Monroe/Wiggins/Goodwin/Bledsoe.. damn

That is the model we should have followed when we were tanking, instead of signing overpaid injury prone vets talking about "let's win now".. Grunfeld is the worst :smh:

Monroe ship definitely hasn't sailed yet. 

Gortat is a FA and with Ves/Singleton off the books they definitely have enough to max out Monroe.

It's not about the money, it's the fact that he's restricted FA so Detroit will just match whatever offer he gets on the market (unless he absolutely sucks this season). I say the ship has sailed because in reality the only way the Pistons would let him go is through a mid-season trade, and we don't have the assets to make that trade anymore.

Let's see how Gortat looks this season. If he's solid I say we try to resign him for 2 more years. Then in 2016 with him and Nene coming off the books, we will have a massive amount of cap space to go for one of the Kevins (Durant or Love) :pimp:

Definitely looking forward to this Season to start. Haven't been this optimistic since 2006-07....

I'm trying to be optimistic...but our BEST case scenario is 8th seed...sweep in first round :rolleyes
I just don't like our depth and for now (could change) our rotation. We know Nene won't play a full season...and aside from him and now Gortat we are back with Saraphin Booker and Jan coming off the bench....behind Wall we have maynor who hasn't looked good. We have to hope Otto gets into the groove...and i think GRjr could be a key contributer and he isn't getting PT even in the pre season

I think the one thing i am looking forward to is Beal. I think he has the chance to be a stud this year if he can remain healthy.

Season is a success if we're the 8th seed. Of course they'll get swept, but at least it would be a step in the right direction.

Season is a success if we're the 8th seed. Of course they'll get swept, but at least it would be a step in the right direction.
8 seed and swept, or miss the playoffs and lottery pick? I might pick option 2. Making the playoffs just gives Ted extra money to re-up Ernie
roll.gif

Now if somehow they are a 5 or 6 seed. That might be a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom