What do you all think of the "Rooney Rule?"

Could you imagine Hampton vs. Jackson St. being the true national championship????
exactly, and the networks and advertisers would have to put money behind showing that game.

sometimes it takes drastic measures to bring about change.

You dont have to be an advocate of Affirmative Action to see 4 head coaches out of 118 is entirely bogus and not the result of a level playing field

I thought Sampson was mixed..he is Native American though

and I know Pitt has a Latin assistant but I can't think of any others

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

Originally Posted by tmay407

Imagine this scenario, Texzas A&M, hires Sherman with no interviews of any black candidates. Then all the black kids de-committ, I bet u that would spark change.
We didn't even interview anyone else, not even any white people. Not one single person. After Fran retired, Sherman was hired the next day that the University was open (that next Monday), leaving only 3 days of vacancy (the University was closed all 3 of those days). It's pretty obvious that A&M was 100% sure that they were going to hire Sherman. I guess I can kinda see your views and respect them, but in my opinion, if a school is set on who they want, and don't even interview any other candidates, they shouldn't have to interview a minority. But if they start interviewing more than one person, I feel that the "Rooney Rule" is a pretty good idea.

The problem w/ that reasoning is that any school can say "Well we already knew who we wanted to hire so we shouldn't have to follow that rule. That can expand to "We already know that of these 3 candidates , one would be hired, so there is no need to interview anyone else. It creates an open for schools and teams to get around the rule. the rule needs to be hard and fast or people will take advantage. I think that w/ TAMU what should be considered is what Edwards said in the second quote.
"The Rooney Rule," Edwards said, "was instituted as a prod for granting access that traditionally has been blocked, not always because of racism but because of limited vision.
Why not pull from the best pool possible, instead of setting your sites on only one person?

Haha, I just found something with your exact sentiments while reading up on this issue. A Tulane law professor that teaches a discrimination law class saidpretty much the exact same thing as you when he was asked about it.
Tulane law professor Joel Friedman, who teaches employment discrimination law, labor law, mediation, and civil procedure, is curious about its potential application to sports. But he's guarded about its chances of success.
"The school," he explains, "can say, 'Well, we didn't conduct a, quote, full search. We did it in three days by calling up our friends and maybe that had a disproportionate exclusionary effect on blacks, but it was necessary under the circumstances. The season was coming up. Or we were in the middle of recruiting.' Whatever it is. And then, somebody will have to decide if that passes muster."

I guess I can kind of see that point of view, and it really does make sense. And you're right about that A&M limited vision point. A&Mtypically sticks to hiring people that have ties to the school in some way, which I think can really limit some opportunities. Personally, I was hoping A&Mwould try to bring Ron Rivera in for an interview, but when a former Aggie coach came along and became interested, he's the only person we were going to goafter.

Another problem you have with college football though is that a lot of the money comes from boosters. If the boosters have their sights set on Coach A, andCoach B comes in and has a hell of an interview with the AD, the boosters can pull that money away, making it virtually impossible to hire Coach B.

What's up with Title VII too? From what I'm reading it seems almost like it's being used to try to impose something like the Rooney Rule into theNCAA. Does anybody know more about it?

And who are all of the black coaches in college football?
Ron Prince
Turner Gill
Randy Shannon
Sylvester Croom
Tyrone Willingham

Then there used to be Karl Dorrell, but he got fired after this season.

yea Allen, take into account the actual number of black players too. Imma guess its over 60% for both sports

I think I read somewhere a little bit ago that the athletes in NCAA football is like somewhere in the 40% range black, and between 50-60% minority.

are there even any latin or Asian coaches on anyone's staff in DI football or basketball?

The head coach from Florida International is Cuban.

What does Rich Rodriguez fall under?

Another problem you have with college football though is that a lot of the money comes from boosters. If the boosters have their sights set on Coach A, and Coach B comes in and has a hell of an interview with the AD, the boosters can pull that money away, making it virtually impossible to hire Coach B.

I forgot where I heard it, but on the radio last week they were talking about Oklahoma State. Turns out that some dude who is an alum and also very close toJerry Jones donates a lot of money to the athletic program. He refurbished some of their facilities, and their stadium has his name. Point being, they weresaying that a lot of the hiring and firing has to go through this guy who is donating the money. He is a businessman, with NO football background. The AD andthe coach are basically puppets for this dude who is behind the scenes.

If things like this can sway a hiring/firing, then who has the power? Could a "Rooney Rule" even work in college fb, seeing that there is still anold-boy network/mentality that goes along with many schools in 1A....

dre and allen, y'all for got Dennis Felton.

and dre, were you talking about Ron English?

DoubleJs, his name is Boone Pickens. He went to school down here at A&M and played basketball for us for like a year before losing his scholarship andtransferring up to Oklahoma State. I've heard that he's donated over $300 million to the OK State athletics program though. I'd love to have abooster with that kind of money here, but he has way too much power in the program. I wouldn't like that.

If things like this can sway a hiring/firing, then who has the power? Could a "Rooney Rule" even work in college fb, seeing that there is still an old-boy network/mentality that goes along with many schools in 1A....

Personally, I don't think it could work very effectively. Like you said, there is too much of an "old-boy" network. Down here at A&M, duringthe football season when there were so many rumors about who would replace Fran, almost every name that I heard somehow had ties to A&M. I know it'sgotta be like that at other places too (probably not quite as bad though). Something has to happen though, having less than 10 minority coaches out of almost120 is ridiculous. There has to be more than 7 or 8 qualified minority coaches out there that are better than some of the coaches that are getting hired aheadof them.

Every school has a bank roll booster like that. Even small%#%% UCF. I bet A&M has someone giving out $$$ like that.

Wayne Densch is a big booster of UCF football. Got buildings named after them on campus, the old football gym/facility, etc. They even provided us"jobs" at their bottling factory

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

dre and allen, y'all for got Dennis Felton.

and dre, were you talking about Ron English?

Yeah man....
Im bad w/names....Unless you are a hated rival....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

are there even any latin or Asian coaches on anyone's staff in DI football or basketball?

Just a few from the Hawaii pipeline off the top of my head

Ken Niumatalolo, new head coach at Navy

Norm Chow, in college for years before going to TN

Cal Lee (will probably run the offense for us next year) and his brother Ron at Hawaii

Alika Smith (former UH player) was an assistant on the UH basketball team under Riley Wallace

I'm sure there are more assistants that are minorities out there but Hawaii is more likely to hire minorities because they make up the majority of theisland residents.

[size=-1]
[/size]

[size=-1]
[/size]

I have always supported it. The Rooney family is one of the best in football. Check the AFC North coaches for perhaps one of the effects

outside of norm chow and hawaii coaches i don't think there are any asian coaches or at least i haven't seen any.

but i agree with tmay, if a team is already set on hiring someone i don't think they "have" to use the rooney rule, but if they're doing afull out search then it makes sense. on another note (slightly related) think it's absurd that ty willingham wasn't given proper time at ND though tobuild his program to where he wanted it to be , i mean damn he got Stanford to the Rose Bowl in 99 or something can't remember.

Haha, I don't doubt that. I really love watching old interviews and film of Art. He seemed so freakin' cool with the glasses and cigar. Awesome man

There is a coach....I think he's from one of the academies....

Yeah, the coach for Navy, Ken Niumatalolo

There used to be a coach from Oregon....I think he coaches for the Jags now...

look at the way bill parcells is trying to get through the rooney rule

Parcells Fires White Assistant In Attempt To Satisfy Rooney Rule

MIAMI--Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells fired several white assistant coaches on Friday in an attempt to satisfy the Rooney Rule,which urges teams to consider minority candidates for vacant head coaching positions. Parcells believes the firing of the white guys should exempt him fromhaving to interview any black guys.

"Hopefully the league will see what I am doing as a reasonable work-around to the Rooney Rule," said Parcells. "If you ask me, this is morehelpful than just bringing in some black guy for a mock interview. This is making a difference. The league just got a whole lot less whiter today."

Parcells also suggested that some of the assistant coaching vacancies could be filled by minority candidates.

"We have plenty of openings now and we're certainly willing to bring in some minorities," he said. "I'm all for equal opportunity. Hell,I'm even willing to fire a couple of white front office workers if you want. Those people are interchangeable anyway. If you can copy tapes and do a Googlesearch you can pretty much have the run of the place."

Parcells chose to bypass the Rooney Rule because he had already decided on Cowboys assistant coach Tony Sparano and didn't feel like going through thetrouble of interviewing someone who wasn't even going to get the job.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, who is a staunch supporter of the rule, said the league wouldn't discipline Parcells this time, but insisted that he abide bythe rule in the future.

"The fact that he fired a bunch of whites is pretty cool, but it's not really the point of the rule," said Goodell. "The point of the ruleis to give minorities an opportunity to interview for head coaching positions - even if you don't plan on hiring them. I mean, Jesus, if Cam Cameron canget a head coaching job in this league, a black guy should at least be able to get an interview."

On Monday, Parcells finally did agree to interview Vikings defensive coach Leslie Frazier, even though he said at the outset that he wasn't getting thejob. For Frazier, it was nothing more than a chance to do some networking with one of the most influential men in the game.

"I know this was a sham interview and I accept that," Frazier told reporters afterward. "I really just wanted to use the opportunity tointroduce myself to Bill and hopefully impress him enough that he thinks of me for future position. I actually found him to be quite pleasant. Plus he fired abunch of white guys, which makes him kind of hero in my book. Ha. Losers. Have fun watching How I Met Your Mother, or whatever it is white people do in theirspare time."

Copyright 2007, The Brushback - Do not reprint without permission. This article is satire and is not intended as actual news

http://thebrushback.com/rooney_full.htm
just to let yall; know thisd is fake but still
roll.gif
roll.gif

Football is a business and you should interview and consider based on who you think will be the best fit for your franchise, not based on meeting somediversity quota. The Rooney Rule is a symbolic gesture but in the end is meaningless because you can't force teams to hire minority coaches.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Football is a business and you should interview and consider based on who you think will be the best fit for your franchise, not based on meeting some diversity quota. The Rooney Rule is a symbolic gesture but in the end is meaningless because you can't force teams to hire minority coaches.

You usually are the most level headed person in most threads.

I have to disagree on this though because The position of the NFL and it's teams are one where discrimination is likely to be happening and theconsequences will not be felt be the league and by the teams. The reason is because the NFL is not competitive.

Although the players and coaching staffs compete fiercely , fro ma an economic point of view there is very little competition. First of all we have to rememberthat while each team looks like a business, it is really a subset of a larger firm which is the NFL and the NFL is a monopoly. There are very few substitutesfor NFL football and not substitutes that are close substitutes. In fact, congress actually gives it an anti-trust exemption and acknowledges its monopolystatus.

Among the various franchises, they may compete on the field but from a business standpoint they are like a public utility because of all of their guaranteemoney from the league's revenue sharing. This is why some teams' owners can be completely uninterested in winning on the field, you can have a loserwit ha low payroll and make a lot by letting the the guaranteed revenues roll in. You also get other goodies like being able to share in the revenues that yourteam generates from ticket sales from road games and your team is guaranteed to appreciate in value because it is a part of a league that is very popular andgenerates more and revenue, which it largely shares equally.

Because some owners have little or no incentive to actually win on a the field, they have no incentive to hire the best candidates for coaching jobs.

The Rooney rule will help get more exposure for some qualified minority candidates. What will really open the doors for black coaches is changing the incentivestructures for NFL teams. There should not be revenue sharing or at least not such a degree of revenue sharing for losing teams, teams that lose year afteryear should have their owner removed by the league and other incentives should exists against not getting a rip about what happens on the field.

If the NFL can make the business side of running a team as competitive as the games themselves. I guarantee that more minority candidates would be hired andless good 'ole boys, who are mediocre every where they coach, would not be rehired much less often.

I don't think people will really be affected by hiring a minority over a "preselected" new hire. We aren't asking schools to only hire blackcoaches, we are saying give them a chance. I worked at the Fundrasing dept of Ut Athletics and those people will pay for the sport no matter who is at thehelm. So, I don't think the alumni/boosters excuse is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom