What Happened to Nike SB ???

You're right, our job is to buy stuff we like, but Nike's job is to create a shoe that a lot of people like, they have failed to do this in most cases since 05.

If you truly believed this:

elcerrito91 wrote:

If they dont then I dont really care because I enjoy the feeling I receive when I have my shoes which I consider dope on my feet. I wear my shoes to wear them.

then this:

elcerrito91 wrote:

Nike has destroyed the culture, they have destroyed the thrill of having a sought after shoe on your foot.

should never be an issue. Care more about what you're seeking instead of the approval of others.

I have a feeling we're going to be in for more

circle.jpg

the SB culture died, everyone knows this. It died because the demand on dunks died. It died because the cws werent appealing to most guys. This combined with lower quality and design changes, caused more people to leave, thus lowering the size of the market and making the consumer base smaller (and harder to please). The less pontential buyers you have, the more effort you have to put into the shoes. Nike is currently not giving this effort, they arent trying hard enough to win their consumers back or even get current consumers to buy.

Just help me wrap my head around this. Say you live in a community where a certain animal exists. If one of these animals gets hit by a car, are you going to bury it and embrace that there are others left or stand by its body whilst decomposing and point fingers at possible perpetrators and cursing the very ground it lays on?

No, an animal and dunks are totally differnt, simply because dunks can come back if Nike makes those changes (brings back 05 padding, 05 quality of materials, 05 toe box, 05 shape, and cws that people fiend for). If these things happen, then the demand will return and dunks will be popular again....which SB dunks do you have limony?  

Watch this and listen to what he says at 1:55 (JUST WATCH THAT WHOLE LINK), Listen to what Bobbito says.

Watch this one and listen to Jeff at 3:33,

Should have known elcerrito91 would still be in here arguing. You should think about going to Law School and becoming an attorney
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

No, an animal and dunks are totally differnt, simply because dunks can come back if Nike makes those changes (brings back 05 padding, 05 quality of materials, 05 toe box, 05 shape, and cws that people fiend for). If these things happen, then the demand will return and dunks will be popular again....which SB dunks do you have limony?  

Why does its popularity as a whole determine whether any single release is successful to you?
Do you really enjoy searching high and low and then paying beyond premium on top of that to get a shoe? Oh right, but then that would mean it's fire. And if you've got some of that fire, then you're status is elevated because others can't get it and then the culture really starts thriving.

If you won't answer that question just ask yourself this, no metaphors and no circumventing. Are you in it for the approval or the money?

I'm in it to have dope shoes (to me) and because I like the shoes themselves. If I cared about the money, I'd have sold my SBs, if I cared about the approval, I'd have more heat than I do now.

If people arent fiending for a pair, then its not made as well as it could have been. If many people arent wanting your product, then you arent doing a well enough job and there is room for improvement. So if heads are leaving SBs and looking something else then Nike SB isnt designing the cws well enough. You certainly have to understand that SB before 06 was liked more and the cws on dunks were SOUGHT AFTER by many people, thus why the prices are so high. Unlike now, SB had a large market who camped out and who did everything they could to get pairs. That is not present in today's sneaker world. And the reason it is not present is because Nike SB can't design a shoe that makes these practices necessary in order to obtain a pair. Nike SB singlehandedly killed the SB dunk culture and everything it stood for just by lowering quality and coming out with crappy cws in 2006. Combine this with 07, 08, 09, 10, and 2011, and you get what you have today; a former successful brand struggling to get people to buy its staple product, the dunk. Sure Janos have taken over as far as sales go, but thats a different market. Nike SB by not changing the dunk back to the way it was in 05, and by continuining to make crappy cws, is ignoring this market and letting it down. They killed a whole culture. Sure people are still into SBs, but certainly not how they were 02-05. Only time will tell if it will return. It's up to Nike SB.

Do you think the shoes that are so sought after now would be if Nike would have gone all in when they started production of SBs and cranked out 15-30k more pairs?

they wouldnt be worth as much....thing about it generally. if you make more of something, demand will go down. So the answer to your question is no....would people still buy pairs? yes, but shops would still have pairs sitting as they do now (BUT not b/c few people like the shoes, just because too many pairs were produced).

They wouldnt be as sought after simply because more pairs would be available.
30000 for an SB dunk. Diamonds were a GR and there are only 4000 pairs of those.

What was the point of your question?

My point is that at that point Nike wanted SB to be a niche product, they weren't all in, the past 3 years or so it seems as if they've widened the net with production ramping it up significantly. If they had produced shoes in the numbers they do now you'd probably be complaining that Nike SB killed the dunk in 2002 when they put out those BS colors that sat after they did so well with the Pro B and co.jp releases.

if nike produced like they do now (whack dunks that people dont want), then there would be no market for it, and thus no real culture to kill. (I think that production numbers per cw have not really gone up, its just that so few like a shoe these days that it seems as though they are overproduced, technically they are since there are more shoes than people who want them, but I was using overproduced in the sense that it was the same as 05 production number wise, do you guys get my distinction?) People wouldnt fiend after a pair if it was widely available, right? Nike has overstaurated the market, too many dunks per year, though 05 had the most. Back then 02-03 dunks were only released every other month or so, that way people had to wait for a dunk (in 04, they started making many dunks and releasing them every month). This (people waiting until the next month for a dunk) is unlike now, where people EXPECT a QS every month. Thats the sad part about it, imo. People have moved away from appreicating the shoes and have just focused on the limitedness and the money.

The reason those shoes sat was because SB/ dunks (dunks were re-issued in 98, i know) was just getting started and few heads knew what was up with SB dunks. Thats why it took awhile for the demand to come and for prices to rise. BUT there still was a demand for certain pairs in 02 right from the get go. SB always had collectors as did co.jp and pro b, its just that the quantity of collectors was a lot less than it is now. Had everyone known the shoes from 02-05 would be worth a lot now you know they wouldnt have skated them or worn them. BUT if they did so, then prices wouldnt be as high as they are (since quantity was reduced from these skaters and people wearing the shoes). It cant work both ways, does this make sense?

Even with these people wearing the shoes, pro bs and co.jps arent worth much for the most part. There are a few that are worth a lot, but not many. Many Pro Bs are slept on and not even paid attention to. When Lim and I made the pro b archive on ISS, only a few people appreciated it, a lot of heads on the forums dont know about Pro Bs, and this is really sad too. If you are gonna be a sneakerhead, then you should know what came before. You should know your sneaker history, and this is wy I always advise people to watch JFK, and read Bobbito's Where'd You Get Those?, because it provides a first hand account of how this whole sneaker craze started.

Nike SB has a choice, to neglect collectors, or to cater to us. It's all up to them.

Law School student???
The kid seriously needs to concentrate on the school more
especially if he seriously thinks he's a sneakerhead.

This doesn't mean he can never be and he will probably be able to
if he keeps this up for at least an another decade for sure,
but right now, he's got to become aware the life of teenager is something
that's simply too short to be labeled with that term and how deeply (he believes)
he's been dedicated to nike SBs the past few years doesn't matter.

Nike did what any sensible company would have done. They saw the wave, rode it as long and much as they could and then the wave subsided. Even if they could still produce "quality" on every drop, the downturn would have happened regardless. Just quit playing victim. Nobody is shoving them down your throat.

You've belabored your piece-low quantity, "bright ideas", low quality, "bad colorways," high quantity, "culture" crash, and it's not going to change anything. If you choose not to buy them, leave it at that and stop pushing it with every reply like you're going to be 'O mighty savior, come to save us from the apocalypse.

Nike stopped that wave. As long as they kept the cws up, collectors would have kept buying, AND even if they released the crappy cws, but kept the price and quality the same, skaters would have kept skating, until Blazers and Janos came. This is why Nike has no reason not to cater to collectors and keep their dunks selling at a high rate.

thats old news, rumors were out for hella long....pics came out like 3 days ago. We'll see, I dont have very high expectations though

number 20 is awesome, too bad no one else will ever have them. I wonder if the rumor is true that someone from Nike bid and won.

^ Nice work on puttin together a list like that- but I dont agree at all with your top 10 (you listed the top 10 hyped) of all time.

Since I complained, I'll list mine:
1.Paris
2.HUF's
3.Heineken's
4.Denim (low's)
5.Pigeon's
6.futura's
7.Shark's
8.lucky/unlucky's
9.bison's
10.true red's

Old spice's, Skunk's, homer's, Tinker Hatfield PRod's follow soon after

Originally Posted by ChamWillJam23

^ Nice work on puttin together a list like that- but I dont agree at all with your top 10 (you listed the top 10 hyped) of all time.

Since I complained, I'll list mine:

1.Paris

2.HUF's

3.Heineken's

4.Denim (low's)

5.Pigeon's

6.futura's

7.Shark's

8.lucky/unlucky's

9.bison's

10.true red's

Old spice's, Skunk's, homer's, Tinker Hatfield PRod's follow soon after

Completely missed the Paris SB's:smh:...Let me go add those in. Btw the list was done on an overall basis of the shoe taking account market value, hype and overall stature in the SB collection. My personal top 10 would also be different than the one we put together but overall I think that list covered everything.

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Btw the list was done on an overall basis of the shoe taking account market value, hype and overall stature in the SB collection. My personal top 10 would also be different than the one we put together but overall I think that list covered everything.
Right on! Makes sense, seems pretty accurate then.  I tried to be as objective as possible with mine (to make it a combo of most sought after with most appealing regarding colors and materials).

Either way- good stuff bro! Always making solid contributions

Originally Posted by ChamWillJam23

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Btw the list was done on an overall basis of the shoe taking account market value, hype and overall stature in the SB collection. My personal top 10 would also be different than the one we put together but overall I think that list covered everything.
Right on! Makes sense, seems pretty accurate then.  I tried to be as objective as possible with mine (to make it a combo of most sought after with most appealing regarding colors and materials).

Either way- good stuff bro! Always making solid contributions

Thanks man definitely appreciate the feedback

Back
Top Bottom