What Happened to Nike SB ???

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by jsallday

band-aids are ridiculous

These sat on shelves for the absolute longest, and look at what they fetch now. 
Same goes for Mochas and Grits.

I love my SBs, more pink boxes in my closet than orange/brown nikes, but I love kicks of all sorts.

People moved on from SB, and Nike didn't help by putting out a lot of steaming #%#$.

They're getting back to basics finally, but it's a little too late for the masses. 

I don't care though, easier cop for me
laugh.gif
Band Aids  are liked more than grits, mochas, ostriches, maple pack high and low, golfs, BUT they are still "ehhhh" in most collector's minds, hence the low resale value.

Now, to the dude that put up pics of freddys and baby bears. The Three Bears Pack (mainly high and lows) are sought after today, and go for 300+, as do Pee Wees. I'm not saying there isnt any heat post 06, its just that most of the stuff that SB has dropped hasnt been anything for collectors. SB needs to come back at us with solid cws that have a theme that many can relate to. They have plans to do 2-3 QS's per season and have them be limited to 1000-1200 pairs. Honestly the limitedness on these pairs wont matter if the cws arent liked. We will see.

Its SBs fault that they have fallen off, NOT A CHANGE IN TREND OF STYLE BY US AS THE RUMOR CURRENTLY IS, because the designers arent making things that collectors like. Many people are still following SBs (dunks), Nike SB isnt delivering with cws we (collectors) like.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

limited runs
Stopped reading, as well as respecting your POV right here.
You're trying to bring back the following SB had, yet you're bringing back basically ALL of the negative that made this SB ship sink long ago.

No thanks, i'm cool with my $!*+ being retail nowadays, and buying older classics for WAY less than what they're supposed to be going for nowadays.

thanks for responding, didnt think it would be this fast....I didnt mean so limited like 1000 pairs or anything, but seriously the shoes have to be limited (meaning there is always someone who doesnt get a pair. more people than pairs) if there is to be demand.....otherwise everyone has the same shoes and there's no differentiation. The demand is what led to Nike SB being greedy and raising the price, but if they had kept with solid cws and quality we wouldnt be complaining at all because the culture would still be there...SB was best before all the hype, but those days are over and imo they wouldnt have lasted anyways because whenever there is demand, there is money and its hard for people to turn down someone willing to pay 500+ for a dunk.

The cws kept the demand, but the demand was just as important. And that demand was fueled by more people wanting than pairs. Thats what I mean when I say "limited" 

I mean, SBs were limited to begin with. I can't really speak for shops nowadays but back then the situation was that shops received one FSR, MAYBE two - and that'd be it. Also, there weren't many shops who carried SB either, I remember in a city as big as Long Beach there was only East 4th, Seams, and United. Now, that's maybe trippled.

I don't really buy my stuff locally because all of the shops out here employ douches therefore aren't worthy of my dollar, i'm sure they NEED it more than someone flipping them on eBay, but I don't need to feel looked at in a certain way just because my kicks aren't being skated in.

That brings me to another point, one that I didn't even have in mind. Shops are to blame here as well, people love to complain about SB, when it was their beloved local spots who were driving up prices left and right before the shoes even changed hands.

They got greedy, and now they're hurting. I don't feel sorry for them, as they eventually made their own bed and still haven't learned from it.

The problem wasn't only at the top, it can be blamed on every face of the totem pole. That's the best starting point.

right, shops are to blame also for ordering too many pairs, which they couldnt sell (mainly the flops, which there are many of post 05), but Nike SB and its designers are more guilty for the decline since they choose the cws...So both are to blame, and both are as important as the other.

SB needs better cws thats it. Do you think they will ever come back with decent cws to the point where we buy nearly everything they offer as in 02 -05 (mostly)?

right, shops are to blame also for ordering too many pairs, which they couldnt sell (mainly the flops, which there are many of post 05), but Nike SB and its designers are more guilty for the decline since they choose the cws...So both are to blame, and both are as important as the other.

SB needs better cws thats it. Do you think they will ever come back to the point where we buy nearly everything they offer as in 02 -05 (mostly)?

These blue boxes have had a good run dude, i'm looking to the right of me and it's the most color of boxes I have of SB that's not pink. HUF blazers, RESN, skate mental, grey suede hi's with the red swoosh, supreme 94's and many more, have been a great return to basic colorways. Even the suede on these are much better than what I remember being on my BTTYs back in 05, I remember when I bought my UNLVs at blends and got to the car, opened the box, and was disgusted at how crappy it was, same for my Syracuse I ordered from SPoT.
Red mids, black and neons, yellow curb, now these blue/orange lows, they're taking it back to what WE, as fans, have demanded for so long as far as colorways go. I see the difference in MSRP SB has done from pink box, to black, gold, and now blue, they don't really help their cause out by bumping the price on a shoe when the tech hasn't changed in 25+ years from $65 to $83. For us who wear them as any other shoe, it's no biggie, but for the folks who use them for their intended purpose of skating, there are other brands who make better kicks for less.

The demand I feel has disappeared for good, while people such as ourselves keep the old days alive. 

I'll say this, if things were still as crazy as pink box days, I wouldn't have been able to cop Diamonds for as low as I did earlier this month
laugh.gif

For us who wear them as any other shoe, it's no biggie, but for the folks who use them for their intended purpose of skating, there are other brands who make better kicks for less.
The demand I feel has disappeared for good, while people such as ourselves keep the old days alive.

Exactly, there are many skate shoes that are better than dunks for cheaper. I've heard from respected shops (owner) that skaters arent buying dunks simply because there are cheaper options, and as a skaters I have to agree.

I like the red mids as well, supreme 94s (a lot of people dont like them, but I dont know why, however they dont look like your average skate shoe thats for sure).

The simple cws are coming back and thats great, but I think SB can certainly do more to bring the demand back. I find it really sad that the red mids arent selling, but that means I can get them for cheap. However I feel like that (people not liking stuff, though its cheap for us) is hurting the sneaker culture. It went from demand to no demand, and honestly without the demand there's little culture left.

how cheap did you get the diamonds for? (I dont know had the culture continued, how that would affect prices on already established dunks such as diamonds though)

IMO the culture dying with SB isn't strictly SB related, the whole sneaker phenomenon died for the same reasons we discussed, from A-Z

Everyone is responsible for oversaturating the market, juicing the people who genuinely have/had a passion for it.

Jordans and AF1's will always have their followers, as they've been around long before any of us for the most part. SB in the sneaker scene is still fairly new, people rode it like none other (think throwback jerseys), and moved on.

I copped Diamonds and Oompas for $375, but $88 was for the oompas I won off of the guy on eBay. Both DS

Jordans died because JB lost it, they became dependent on the retros for success and thats what killed them. But as you've seen when they waited 8+ years for retros (Cool Greys, Space Jams) the demand is certainly there. Quality is a huge issue for them.

AF1s, I think they just became played out due to the the mainstreamness they had around 06/07. At my high school, people were rocking them like crazy and then once those clear Fantastic Four pair dropped, the fakes came in like a tidal wave. Then in 08/09 people just stopped wearing them and moved on to whatever was in the malls at that time, which was blazers and AF1s lost their appeal (where I was from). I dont know about now or how popular they are in other places. Jordans were always big though. BUT collector wise, both of those fell off big time.

SB fell off because the cws just stopped coming. Look at the popular cws these days and there is definitely still demand for them, BUT it is certainly not as crazy as 02-05. I'm really curious to see how the sunset/ french blues go (low top orange and blues) sell. They are a simple cw, and seem to be getting very positive reviews.

The fall line for SB doesnt seem too good imo. What do you think of it so far?
Great price on those Diamonds, my friend got a DS pair for 400. Also do you know what the first official QS was?

nike-sb-dunks-fall-2011-releases.jpg

These all have me pumped, I don't really pay much attention to anything other than the Dunk and P-rod lines because I don't like the low cut of Janoskis, I like Salazars, and the Kostons look good. But again, their return to basic colorways is what has me paying attention more than I have a few years ago

I'm feeling the gold dusts a lot. The grey lows are ehh as are the red highs. I feel they are too close to Irons and True Red lows and show a lack of creativity on Nike's part (they certainly can do a lot better), but ya I see what you're saying.

You're right, while they're just rehashing old kicks in different cuts, it's attempting to accomplish what you're aiming at though - SB coming back.

It's not the best course of action though. They can come back with much better stuff and when its original in idea thats when its best. They need original, never before done, cws.

It's not the best course of action though. They can come back with much better stuff and when its original in idea thats when its best. They need original, never before done, cws.

i think their kind of trying, the concept for the erosion on the statue of liberty and the pouch for the skunks were 
pimp.gif
 but their just inconsistent 

Exactly, they can make popular shoes, but then the GRs are nothing. Back in 02-05 they were very consistent with designing good stuff. In 06 was when they really declined, half the stuff was nothing to collectors and then we all know what happened after that.

I can't believe this thread is STILL going....he's a question for you hardheaded dudes in here that just dont want to give this up....How can Dunk SB's be dead, low quality, what ever it is you guys are crying about...when NIke Sb DID NOT INVENT the DUNK (which seems to be your only focus)??????

Someone PLEASE explain that...

Originally Posted by Ayipapi

I can't believe this thread is STILL going....he's a question for you hardheaded dudes in here that just dont want to give this up....How can Dunk SB's be dead, low quality, what ever it is you guys are crying about...when NIke Sb DID NOT INVENT the DUNK (which seems to be your only focus)??????

Someone PLEASE explain that...
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif

ogskizzel wrote:
give us fat tongues

They're back I believe with the SB dunk remodel

Some people just cant appreciate the dunk and its true followers. How do you feel on Gold Dusts (the yellow low with black stripe in your post for fall 2011)? here's a better pic of them
img_8175-640x425.jpg

i cant support the plum highs, they are a lack of creativity on Nike SB's part.....we need new stuff not renditions of former stuff

Some people just cant appreciate the dunk and its true followers. How do you feel on Gold Dusts (the yellow low with black stripe in your post for fall 2011)? here's a better pic of them
img_8175-640x425.jpg

these released?

Back
Top Bottom