What to do about cutting hours?

They have been cutting hours at my job lately and i would understand and accept that

if it wasnt for the fact that they are currently hiring more employees(and there are plenty of hours available)...

What can be done here if anything?

mean.gif

ask for more hours.

if denied, then you know what time it is.

update that resume.

Last edited:
Usually those type of jobs aren't permanent anyway. Like your career etc.

If you need the money find something else, or just thug it out...

Last edited:
they gave me the standard cuts across the board spiel...

which is believable as even my bosses are taking cuts but the problem is i know for a fact there are hours available and they are being given to the new transfers which i guess really rustles my jimmies considering a lot of my co-workers have been laid off recently as well and im being stuck with a bunch of goobers who slack off yet are getting more hours than me
indifferent.gif

Im in the same boat. Try to ask for more hours. If they cant accommodate that then look for another job

They are doing that because they dont want to give certain people more hours so they dont hit "full time."

or

the current workers suck, so they are trying out new ones.

my hours got slashed in half when asked about it i was told it was typical budget cuts and even my bosses hours are cut but not as drastically as mine

the problem is i know there are plenty of hours available as i lost a few co-workers and they keep bringing in new transfers who are getting more hours than me

so now im stuck with these goobers who slack off and are getting more hours than me and its not my performance as im one of the hardest working people here and sometimes miss my breaks because i work so hard
indifferent.gif
Which is why i want to see what can be done here im already looking for new jobs...

so i am going to confront my bosses today about this issue and see whats the deal

tired.gif

It probably so they don't have to give benefits. I know sears and Safeway did that to employees when I worked there.
Ish should be illegal for an employer to do

It probably so they don't have to give benefits. I know sears and Safeway did that to employees when I worked there.

This is pretty much why. By having part time employees, they save on not giving benefits to employees. I know the tech industry is like this right now. They just contract a bunch of people for like months and eventually let them go. Contractors do get paid decent for the job but I am sure everyone would rather have a steady job then always having to look for a job after contracts are up.

its not about the benefits cause were all part time unless youre on salary doubt its a racial issue as well

i went from like 30-40 hours a week to 10-20 and keep in my mind im one of the top performers in my workcenter about the last few left as they have fired a bunch of my co-workers for petty reasons and they have promoted those from lower paygrades into my workcenter and giving them all my hours and paying them the same as me to not even do half of my work

im starting to think this a ploy to get me to cover shifts for the lower workcenters (all the grunt work basically which pays the least) because they know im a hard worker and will do the work im given

Similar thing happened to me at my job. We have full-time, part-time and per diem employees. The only people that don't get sick time, vacation time and benefits are the per diems.  It really sucked for me because I was per diem for about a year and a half before getting bumped up to part-time and I was working 40 hours or more every week during that time. Then once I turned part-time the administrator of our facility started looking for ways to cut costs and chose to screw people out of sick time and benefits. Since they couldn't touch hours of the full-timers and the per diems didn't matter, all of the part-timers got screwed over and my hours got cut pretty drastically.  I was pissed for awhile, but I'm still in school and it happened during the summer so I just took it as a break from the daily grind.  Luckily we got a new administrator a few months later and he deaded that with the quickness. 

They did this when I worked at tj maxx in high school. The explanation that was given to us was that they didn't want anybody hitting that 40 hour mark. They also would assign shifts that ensured we didn't get a lunch break. If you work 6 hrs or more you are entitled to a 45 min lunch. They assigned us 5hr 50mim shifts :smh:

Back
Top Bottom