What's wrong with Essence magazine

I can't believe in this day and age that folks would let this headline pass through like that. Like the editor gave the thumbs up on this and thought this was a good idea

I can't believe in this day and age that folks would let this headline pass through like that. Like the editor gave the thumbs up on this and thought this was a good idea

I can't believe they let that pass right off the heels of "Michael Phelps makes history with black female" (or something like that)

Here's the answer. :lol:

Time magazine owns them and this is the editor in chief. Vanessa K Bush. Married to a white man and probably wants interracial kids. The negro bed wench wave. I have interracial kids and would never say something so stupid.

love-holidays_240x340_15.jpg

back-where-it-all-began-0_400x295_72.jpg

Last edited:
I mean....growin up, black chicks always would joke about we should have a baby, and in adulthood black chicks always try to get at me.

But that magazine sayin that is dumb as hell.

Don't these clowns have anything better to do than this ignorant *** "study"?

Shameful

Last edited:
essence magazine telling da sistas to forget a Tyrone, and get u a Todd.

It's also telling them that they aren't attractive unless they're mixed themselves. That leads to all kinds of problems and causes self hating. Not even mentioning how this helps drive a wedge between black women and men.

And "look better" based on whose standards?

Last edited:
In a series of controlled interviews, Reece attempted to test and measure the power of perception. 3,200 black subjects were asked questions about their racial backgrounds. Interviewers then graded each person’s attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the most attractive. The average attractiveness rating among subjects who identified as mixed race was 3.74; while those who identified as black were given a score of 3.47 – a significant difference that alludes the power of racial bias.

http://m.essence.com/2016/08/18/colorism-study-duke-university?xid=essence_socialflow_twitter

During my time in college I had ample opportunity to intern as a diversity consultant. I went to school majoring in ethnic studies and it blew my mind some of the stuff people tried to approve :lol: a lot of businesses still don't get it.

For example, in ethnographies of strip clubs Frank (2002) and Brooks (2010)) found that black women often found themselves marginalized by patrons who sought to interact with other non-white women. Multiracial, exotic-looking women (e.g., women with features that made them appear racially ambiguous) on the other hand, were sought after by these patrons and earned more income than women perceived as “only” black, even if they did not earn as much as their white counterparts. Because of this, black women learned, and were even told, to emphasize their multiracial heritage, or to pretend to be multiracial even if they actually were not, in an attempt to distance themselves from the “pure” blackness to a more exotic, acceptable, attractive and muted form of blackness. This provides support for my primary argument that identification changes one’s level of perceived attraction even when accounting for physical appearance. This latter part is especially salient as women with no multiracial heritage were able to increase their profiles through claiming this heritage.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12114-015-9218-1

It's also telling them that they aren't attractive unless they're mixed themselves. That leads to all kinds of problems and causes self hating. Not even mentioning how this helps drive a wedge between black women and men.

And "look better" based on whose standards?

Very good point.

I personally think this is applicable to other racial minorities as well.

Hollywood/mass media is all about that minority mixing now: white man + [insert minority woman]

Let's not forget this was a "study" and not the direct opinion of Essence. I'm still giving them the side eye for putting that out though.

I've met a LOT of (black) people with this opinion. And it's sad. They want the "good hair" for their babies, and bright hazel colored eyes. Colorism is a b__h.

They didn't even need to do this "study". Take a lot around.

The fact that they even mentioned it when their magazine caters to black female readers between 28-55 is ridiculous and aids in the complexion biases amongst African Americans.

I'm not blind to the realization that woman in our community have a low sense of self worth and in turn reflect that in who they mate with and wanting more European centric features for their children but a magazine catered to black woman hinting toward something like that is egregious. I'm a dark skinned dude who's parents speak with a heavy African accent and I've messed with them all. White, Black, Asian. I've never put too much thought into how my child would look like and what features they'd have as long as they were healthy. Wish our community had more content promoting how beautiful black people are instead of constantly praising biracial people.

Last edited:
Don't really see how anyone can get mad at this????

Its a bold truth that's right in front of our face....

We can smh smh smh all we want...

Its our very own black and hispanic people with these insecurities and complexion,hair type and eye color bias

Last edited:

Its our very own black and hispanic people with these insecurities and complexion,hair type and eye color bias

Who do you think imposed these insecurities?

Exactly. It hurts, and isn't empowering, but its reality. Word to "I don't do dark butts".

Last edited:
In a series of controlled interviews, Reece attempted to test and measure the power of perception. 3,200 black subjects were asked questions about their racial backgrounds. Interviewers then graded each person’s attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the most attractive. The average attractiveness rating among subjects who identified as mixed race was 3.74; while those who identified as black were given a score of 3.47 – a significant difference that alludes the power of racial bias.

http://m.essence.com/2016/08/18/colorism-study-duke-university?xid=essence_socialflow_twitter

The test and the tweet headline don't match up.

And as a econometrican, the first thing that pops into my head regarding the study is "Measurement Error"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom