What's wrong with Essence magazine

In a series of controlled interviews, Reece attempted to test and measure the power of perception. 3,200 black subjects were asked questions about their racial backgrounds. Interviewers then graded each person’s attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the most attractive. The average attractiveness rating among subjects who identified as mixed race was 3.74; while those who identified as black were given a score of 3.47 – a significant difference that alludes the power of racial bias.

http://m.essence.com/2016/08/18/colorism-study-duke-university?xid=essence_socialflow_twitter

The test and the tweet headline don't match up.

And as a econometrican, the first thing that pops into my head is "Measurement Error"

or in Internet laymen terms, Click bait.

da black strippers being encouraged to lie about being "foreign" to get more tips got a morbid chuckle outta me thou :lol: :smh:

I think the headline is irresponsible and not going at you sugafree sugafree , but how can this study be the "truth" and an opinion at the same time?

Speaking for myself, I was once stuck on lighter chicks and even though I would date dark women, I never had a serious relationship with a darker female and it was due to pure stupidity based on what I had been conditioned to see as beautiful. I feel like I disespected my family and my people with that way of thinking, but there's not much that I can do to change the past.

I think we are all conditioned to have a European standard of beauty. There's a reason bleaching cream is popular in India and African countries. Just look at Sammy Sosa and other descendants of Africans who are quick to claim their European heritage while dismissing the man or woman in the mirror.

It's sad.

Last edited:
I think the headline is irresponsible and not going at you sugafree sugafree , but how can this study be the "truth" and an opinion at the same time?

Speaking for myself, I was once stuck on lighter chicks and even though I would date dark women, I never had a serious relationship with a darker female and it was due to pure stupidity based on what I had been conditioned to see as beautiful. I feel like I disespected my family and my people with that way of thinking, but there's not much that I can do to change the past.

I think we are all conditioned to have a European standard of beauty. There's a reason bleaching cream is popular in India and African countries. Just look at Sammy Sosa and other descendants of Africans who are quick to claim their European heritage while dismissing the man or woman in the mirror.

It's sad.

I had a similar experience growing up where I experienced boat loads of racism as one of the few Asians in elementary and junior high. And although there were a lot more Asian kids in HS, it seemed as if we were still being targeted. I decided to never hang with other Asian kids and pretty much denounced my heritage, even going as far to only being attracted to white women. And it wasn't until I got with another Asian woman and went to college that I realized how much damage I caused myself because I was slaving away to European standards of beauty, among other things.

The thing is that so many people go through this and choose to be subservient to white people as a result and more or less becoming traitors to their own race. It's disturbing. I mean just look at the Lil Kim stuff.

It's sad.

I had a similar experience growing up where I experienced boat loads of racism as one of the few Asians in elementary and junior high. And although there were a lot more Asian kids in HS, it seemed as if we were still being targeted. I decided to never hang with other Asian kids and pretty much denounced my heritage, even going as far to only being attracted to white women. And it wasn't until I got with another Asian woman and went to college that I realized how much damage I caused myself because I was slaving away to European standards of beauty, among other things.

The thing is that so many people go through this and choose to be subservient to white people as a result and more or less becoming traitors to their own race. It's disturbing. I mean just look at the Lil Kim stuff.

Real posts rite there.

Interesting

ninjahood should be the last guy laughing at people attempting to claim another ethnicity. coming from a guy who blatantly associates himself more with his non african roots

ninjahood should be the last guy laughing at people attempting to claim another ethnicity. coming from a guy who blatantly associates himself more with his non african roots

this thread had absolutely nothing to do with me though :lol:

i aint da one pretending to speak spanish for more tips @ da strip clubs :lol: :smh:

Last edited:
Not about to detract from the thread bc great discussion can be had just want to point out Ninja always seems to wind up in threads regarding us yet he wants so bad to disassociate himself from truly being Afro Dominican. The trolling is very evident at this point

i aint da one pretending to speak spanish for more tips @ da strip clubs :lol: :smh:

but you are speaking spanish as a way to neglect your more dominant african roots

edit:

this thread has to do with people that have your line of thinking.

Last edited:
lol there are African countries that speak spanish, french, and english.....you don't see any of them being like yo I speak french I ain't black. 

There are caribbean countries that are just as "mixed" as Dominica, they don't accept the language forced on them by colonialism as an excuse to deny their roots.:lol:

exactly. however, according to ninja, he is more spanish because he speaks the the language :lol:

Last edited:

yea but you're the same people who take baths in bleach and sulfur for acceptance tryna talk down on other people pretending to be what they are not. :lol:

u must be confused with vybz cartel

sammy sosa looks like...

vff9dw.jpg

currently..whats that stripper's & murderer's excuse?

but you are speaking spanish as a way to neglect your more dominant african roots

:rofl: so speaking your native language which was learned 1st is "neglecting a continent i have no family/relatives in"

bravo on da condescending of a entire latino diaspora :lol:

bro that's not your native tongue. that's the language you speak due to colonialism. you may not have direct relatives but your roots come from africa. i think just because you feel no connection makes you decide to neglect all together.

:lol: @ you thinking that's what sammy originally looked like

Last edited:
That ain't Sammy default color. **** wit that famb :rofl:

He is even way darker that the pic you posted

His eye color went back to default too :lol:

And Kartel is open about his skin bleaching, and gets mocked for it. He just doesn't care

Last edited:
ninjahood talking about skin color like it's a damn shoe colorway. the mindset of this guy is too much.

Back
Top Bottom