WHO KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE?: lunarfoam vs lunarlite vs lunarlon

anyone out there 'in the know' and willing to share wat the differences are between these 3 nike cushioning materials?

anyone out there 'in the know' and willing to share wat the differences are between these 3 nike cushioning materials?

From what I know:

-lunar foam is the actual material that was developed with NASA, it's the one in the Hyperdunk and Kobe IV that breaks down easily.

-lunar lite is the system which involves having a softer density inner "core" encased in a firmer density outer "core". it's basically a 2 part cushioning system with the inner parts softer than the other foams.

-lunarlon, which I've never heard of, I'm guessing is a hybrid lunar foam/phylon cushioning system. Since the lunarfoam is softer I would assume it's the inner core while the firmer phylon is the outer core.

From what I know:

-lunar foam is the actual material that was developed with NASA, it's the one in the Hyperdunk and Kobe IV that breaks down easily.

-lunar lite is the system which involves having a softer density inner "core" encased in a firmer density outer "core". it's basically a 2 part cushioning system with the inner parts softer than the other foams.

-lunarlon, which I've never heard of, I'm guessing is a hybrid lunar foam/phylon cushioning system. Since the lunarfoam is softer I would assume it's the inner core while the firmer phylon is the outer core.

Phylon, Phylite, Cushlon, Lunar Foam, Lunarlite, Lunarlon... It's all very confusing and not explained very well.

I think that there is no difference between "Lunar Foam" and "LunarLite Foam". If you look back at product descriptions for the Hyperdunk back in 2008, you will see that Nike is inconsistent in their naming. Sometimes they say Lunar Foam, sometimes they say LunarLite.

Nike Basketball Hyperdunk Description:
5b3gk1.jpg

Nike Lab Hyperdunk Description:
2f0btip.jpg

I'm pretty certain LunarLite was the official name for the first 'lunar' foam since the trademark name was applied for in April 2006. They may have changed the formula since then but kept the same name? I think Lunar Foam was an alternate name that was used but didn't stick and was not trademarked. "LunarLite foam" and "LunarLite Cushioning System" / "LunarLite Carrier System" are two separate things. According to NDP of SoleCollect0r, LunarLite Carrier Systems don't even use LunarLite Foam. They use Cushlon.

Nike.com Description for LunarLite foam:
2dtssjo.jpg

Lunarlon is most likely Nike's latest iteration of the material as it's trademark was filed in November 2009. How is it different? I have no clue. Mixture of LunarLite with Phlyon or Cushlon (whatever those are exactly)? You can see on the Lunar Vapor Tour tennis shoe, the first release has "LunarLite" on the midsole, whereas the latest version (worn by Federer for Wimbeldon) says "Lunarlon". Also next year's Lunar Vapor 8 also says "Lunarlon."

Lunar Vapor Tour:
NMLLVWB-1.jpg

Lunar Vapor Tour (newer version):
NMLVWG-1.jpg

Lunar Vapor 8 (Spring 2011):
nike-lunar-vapor-8-tour-white-black-stealth.jpg

I'd also like to know the exact difference between Lunar Foam, Cushlon, and Lunarlon.

Phylon, Phylite, Cushlon, Lunar Foam, Lunarlite, Lunarlon... It's all very confusing and not explained very well.

I think that there is no difference between "Lunar Foam" and "LunarLite Foam". If you look back at product descriptions for the Hyperdunk back in 2008, you will see that Nike is inconsistent in their naming. Sometimes they say Lunar Foam, sometimes they say LunarLite.

Nike Basketball Hyperdunk Description:
5b3gk1.jpg

Nike Lab Hyperdunk Description:
2f0btip.jpg

I'm pretty certain LunarLite was the official name for the first 'lunar' foam since the trademark name was applied for in April 2006. They may have changed the formula since then but kept the same name? I think Lunar Foam was an alternate name that was used but didn't stick and was not trademarked. "LunarLite foam" and "LunarLite Cushioning System" / "LunarLite Carrier System" are two separate things. According to NDP of SoleCollect0r, LunarLite Carrier Systems don't even use LunarLite Foam. They use Cushlon.

Nike.com Description for LunarLite foam:
2dtssjo.jpg

Lunarlon is most likely Nike's latest iteration of the material as it's trademark was filed in November 2009. How is it different? I have no clue. Mixture of LunarLite with Phlyon or Cushlon (whatever those are exactly)? You can see on the Lunar Vapor Tour tennis shoe, the first release has "LunarLite" on the midsole, whereas the latest version (worn by Federer for Wimbeldon) says "Lunarlon". Also next year's Lunar Vapor 8 also says "Lunarlon."

Lunar Vapor Tour:
NMLLVWB-1.jpg

Lunar Vapor Tour (newer version):
NMLVWG-1.jpg

Lunar Vapor 8 (Spring 2011):
nike-lunar-vapor-8-tour-white-black-stealth.jpg

I'd also like to know the exact difference between Lunar Foam, Cushlon, and Lunarlon.

Ima have my lil bro explain it to me again. That kid has like 30 pairs of Lunar shoes, acts like a complete tard like if it's pokeman. He got me sucked into it too. I got my handful of lunars as well tho.

Lunar >>> AM
grin.gif

Ima have my lil bro explain it to me again. That kid has like 30 pairs of Lunar shoes, acts like a complete tard like if it's pokeman. He got me sucked into it too. I got my handful of lunars as well tho.

Lunar >>> AM
grin.gif

scshift basically has it down. The LunarFoam is the unit that Nike first came up with in the Hyperdunk, a variation of Phylite cushioning, aka a very soft material, Lunarlite is the system used in the LunarGlide that is part of the Dynamic Support; in which its paired with soft foam on the lateral side for cushioning and harder foam on the medial side for support, and Lunarlon is just the new name for LunarFoam.

scshift basically has it down. The LunarFoam is the unit that Nike first came up with in the Hyperdunk, a variation of Phylite cushioning, aka a very soft material, Lunarlite is the system used in the LunarGlide that is part of the Dynamic Support; in which its paired with soft foam on the lateral side for cushioning and harder foam on the medial side for support, and Lunarlon is just the new name for LunarFoam.

Originally Posted by scshift

From what I know:

You got it right. Everything except for the NASA part.

Even though they marketed it that way, it's not the truth.

Originally Posted by scshift

From what I know:

You got it right. Everything except for the NASA part.

Even though they marketed it that way, it's not the truth.

Just adding some more info to KeonClark7's excellent description on the Lunar tech.
As he stated Lunarfoam and LunarLite is exactly the same material. LunarLite is the official name. 

On the carrier system Lunarlite was changed to Lunarlon because of copyright issues yet the properties of this technology are the same.
You can clearly see that name switch on the Vapor Tour shown above.
It's a fact that on some models like the LunarGlide they used cushlon instead of lunarlite on the inner foam. As far as I know they tweak the inner core foam on every single model to create the desirable cushioning properties. So you may have cushlon or even injected phylon on some models.
The carrier is made of Phylite foam which in comparison to regular Phylon is lighter, denser thus more durable so it can be exposed to the ground for improved flexibility(Nike Hyperize used PlyLite for lighter,more durable midsole foam that does not wrinkle compared to Phylon).

Just adding some more info to KeonClark7's excellent description on the Lunar tech.
As he stated Lunarfoam and LunarLite is exactly the same material. LunarLite is the official name. 

On the carrier system Lunarlite was changed to Lunarlon because of copyright issues yet the properties of this technology are the same.
You can clearly see that name switch on the Vapor Tour shown above.
It's a fact that on some models like the LunarGlide they used cushlon instead of lunarlite on the inner foam. As far as I know they tweak the inner core foam on every single model to create the desirable cushioning properties. So you may have cushlon or even injected phylon on some models.
The carrier is made of Phylite foam which in comparison to regular Phylon is lighter, denser thus more durable so it can be exposed to the ground for improved flexibility(Nike Hyperize used PlyLite for lighter,more durable midsole foam that does not wrinkle compared to Phylon).

The real lunar foam is no longer used in the shoes, lunar lite has taken its place. The lunar foam was in the original hyperdunks, lunar trainers, and lunar racers.

The real lunar foam is no longer used in the shoes, lunar lite has taken its place. The lunar foam was in the original hyperdunks, lunar trainers, and lunar racers.

I wonder if Nike has revamped the Lunar formula even more because it seems like in 2012 they are really pushing Lunar

I wonder if Nike has revamped the Lunar formula even more because it seems like in 2012 they are really pushing Lunar

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

They're also pushing Cushlon which is now a stand-alone midsole foam option, as clearly evidenced in the Lebron 9, which aside from a strange, initial fit that runs VERY short, feel MAD comfy!

I think from a durability standpoint, nothing will stand the test of time like Phylon. That stuff is practically made of magic. But...it does wrinkle kinda easily, so it must have more of a 'memory' than Lunarlon, Cushlon, etc. in the sense that it can only take so many impacts & rebound back to original shape so many times until it 'gives' & wrinkles.

Someone mentioned that Phylon is just heat-treated EVA, which is very hard for me to believe. It lasts forever; EVA does Not. It feels nothing like it and frankly appears to have a completely different chemical make-up than EVA or PU foams do. It also acts as the launching pad foam from which the spawn of Lunar & Cush derive from. I do wish the patents of each were better explained to the masses so we could know what we're buying in better detail and how the different variables affect the desired cushioning of a given shoe for a given sport/use.

Very interesting topic...

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

They're also pushing Cushlon which is now a stand-alone midsole foam option, as clearly evidenced in the Lebron 9, which aside from a strange, initial fit that runs VERY short, feel MAD comfy!

I think from a durability standpoint, nothing will stand the test of time like Phylon. That stuff is practically made of magic. But...it does wrinkle kinda easily, so it must have more of a 'memory' than Lunarlon, Cushlon, etc. in the sense that it can only take so many impacts & rebound back to original shape so many times until it 'gives' & wrinkles.

Someone mentioned that Phylon is just heat-treated EVA, which is very hard for me to believe. It lasts forever; EVA does Not. It feels nothing like it and frankly appears to have a completely different chemical make-up than EVA or PU foams do. It also acts as the launching pad foam from which the spawn of Lunar & Cush derive from. I do wish the patents of each were better explained to the masses so we could know what we're buying in better detail and how the different variables affect the desired cushioning of a given shoe for a given sport/use.

Very interesting topic...

Back
Top Bottom