Why are black schools held in such high regard?

Me and my mom just got into a huge argument about this. I told her I don't like black schools because I don't want anyone to hold my hand; I don'tlike the atmosphere and they don't have the same resources as my school does. Most of all I can't stand how everyone thinks that because I don't goto a black school I am "less" black and my mom said I'm not good enough to go to Howard despite the fact that I pulled a 3.65 last semester atKstate. I really don't get why so many black people walk around as if Howard is God's gift to black people.

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Me and my mom just got into a huge argument about this. I told her I don't like black schools because I don't want anyone to hold my hand; I don't like the atmosphere and they don't have the same resources as my school does. Most of all I can't stand how everyone thinks that because I don't go to a black school I am "less" black and my mom said I'm not good enough to go to Howard despite the fact that I pulled a 3.65 last semester at Kstate. I really don't get why so many black people walk around as if Howard is God's gift to black people.
indifferent.gif

Do you realize blacks were not even allowed in "white" schools?

So black schools meant black students could get a post-high school education

What resources are we talking about?

and the social environment is what you make it regardless of school

My parents told me not to go to an HBCU. My mom went to FAMU for a semester and left. After living in Montgomery I don't really even want to be around anHBCU.

i feel you, some black people act like it's Harvard or some %$@*. Howard is not a great school. i don't even know if i would call it a good school. iknow a kid who got into Howard with like a 1400 SAT and a 2.9 GPA.

and i've heard nothing but bad things about the administration. it's sad that us black people don't have a better school academically to representthem, because Howard has so much prestige among the black community.

it's good for some, because some people feel like they need to be coddled in a majority black environment (and some just go to college for the girls). butat the end of the day, a Howard education doesn't necessarily prepare you the best for the next level.

Originally Posted by tmukg21

A. yes, but black people can get into white schools now so baring history that arguement is null in void
B. Understandable, that is cool
C. As an example, my school has a partial recording studio(i.e sound booth, fantom X6, about 6 or 7 mics) Also there is about 700 computers in the library, andthats the same in like every building just a small example, and no I do not exaggerate the first floor has a solid 100 on the main part, and there is two moreparts that have the same
D. The social enviroment can't be the same when a majority of the students are black, whereas most of our students are either foreign or white, with about12% black, plus we have a military base and another college withing 20 miles, so as far as diversity goes, this little school in nowhere Kansas has it far morethan my fams black school in NC.

A. yes, but black people can get into white schools now so baring history that arguement is null in void
C. As an example, my school has a partial recording studio(i.e sound booth, fantom X6, about 6 or 7 mics) Also there is about 700 computers in the library, and thats the same in like every building just a small example, and no I do not exaggerate the first floor has a solid 100 on the main part, and there is two more parts that have the same
D. The social enviroment can't be the same when a majority of the students are black, whereas most of our students are either foreign or white, with about 12% black, plus we have a military base and another college withing 20 miles, so as far as diversity goes, this little school in nowhere Kansas has it far more than my fams black school in NC.

no you can't dis regard history if want an answer to your thread title because that is the answer

Plenty of whites and asians that go to black schools, of course it won't be exactly the same.

Have you visited a black school to visit their recording/music halls
grin.gif

i hate these debates...

I went to a HBCU and its for some people and its not for others.

There's pros and cons going to any university.

I had a great college experience and I'd give everything I own to be back @ Jackson State as a freshman right now.

C. As an example, my school has a partial recording studio(i.e sound booth, fantom X6, about 6 or 7 mics) Also there is about 700 computers in the library, and thats the same in like every building just a small example, and no I do not exaggerate the first floor has a solid 100 on the main part, and there is two more parts that have the same
D. The social enviroment can't be the same when a majority of the students are black, whereas most of our students are either foreign or white, with about 12% black, plus we have a military base and another college withing 20 miles, so as far as diversity goes, this little school in nowhere Kansas has it far more than my fams black school in NC.

no you can't dis regard history if want an answer to your thread title because that is the answer

Plenty of whites and asians that go to black schools, of course it won't be exactly the same.

Have you visited a black school to visit their recording/music halls
grin.gif
Why can't we get over history? And yes I have visited Bowie and Howard, didn't ask about music at Howard but know for a fact that Bowiedoesn't have one. Neither does Grambling or Fayeteville. When I went to Howard it was kind of beat. Besides girls they didn't have anything I wantedthere. Only like 50% of their students pass the bar. And I def. would have remembered if they had as many computers as Kstate, becasue til this day after threeyears of going there I'm still amazed at how many computers they have.

most HBCU's offer pretty lucrative financial aid to get non-blacks to attend. most want to break the label of HBCU cause times are changing and every placeshould be integrated. the whole idea of an HBCU now is ridiculous, its just more segregation, especially when a lot of non-HBCU are trying to get more blacksenrolled.

Originally Posted by infamousod

most HBCU's offer pretty lucrative financial aid to get non-blacks to attend. most want to break the label of HBCU cause times are changing and every place should be integrated. the whole idea of an HBCU now is ridiculous, its just more segregation, especially when a lot of non-HBCU are trying to get more blacks enrolled.

this is exactly how I feel. Step your school game up and lose the stigma, good people come from these schools to bad a lot of good students are deterred fromgoing because of the stigmas they have.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

bowie state aint @%!! i know that

class of 07.

But most people look at HBCUs as the social scene. Look at Drumline, Stomp the Yard, School Daze, A Different World, and most recently College Hill. Peoplelook at those and say I want to go for the social scene. However some HBCUs have good programs that are nationally recognized. Morgan has the leadinggraduates in Black Engineers, Howard does as far as Doctors and Lawyers, Bowie as far as Black Teachers in the DC Area.

As a product of 2 HBCUs yes they are overated, but I would NOT trade it for the world. Some of my friends went to U of MD, UVA, Rutgers, and transfered backdue to the 400+ students in one class, a campus that has over 30,000 students, and the teachers dont even know your name, just the last 4 digits of your SSN. The workload is the same at an HBCU and a White School, however they make it soo much harder than it needs to be at a white school. Plus the same coworkers Iam working with spent over 80,000 for the same degree I have and are not any farther than I am
smh.gif
. They paid for the name like a dummy. But like I said to each thier own.

Originally Posted by infamousod

most HBCU's offer pretty lucrative financial aid to get non-blacks to attend. most want to break the label of HBCU cause times are changing and every place should be integrated. the whole idea of an HBCU now is ridiculous, its just more segregation, especially when a lot of non-HBCU are trying to get more blacks enrolled.
indifferent.gif

Segregation has NOTHING to do with it. HBCUs are no different than a white institution. Some students want to attend college but maybe dont have the fundsb/c white institutions are very expensive than a HBCU. Some students may have the Grades but not so good SAT scores, some may not have the best of grades likea 2.8 G.P.A. But they can attend an HBCU. If you look at US News and Reposrts there are many HBCUs that are doing very well than White Institutions.

I'm in the same situation and I just dont care. Im going to get into the best school I can black or not and it seems most likely it will be and graduate.

Because that's just us, even when we try to do something wright, we do it wrong.

Of course, there are no non HBCU schools that fit whatever negative generalizations you have of HBCUs

bboy1827 wrote:Why can't we get over history? And yes I have visited Bowie and Howard, didn't ask about music at Howard but know for a fact that Bowie doesn't have one. Neither does Grambling or Fayeteville. When I went to Howard it was kind of beat. Besides girls they didn't have anything I wanted there. Only like 50% of their students pass the bar. And I def. would have remembered if they had as many computers as Kstate, becasue til this day after three years of going there I'm still amazed at how many computers they have.

History is just the answer to your question. I get what you are saying though
In your original argument , what did you mean by someone holding your hand
grin.gif

and besides computers,a minute point because computers are every where, what else they didn't have?

and for the record, no one thinks you are less black. for going to Kstate, trust me , everyone is proud to see a kid in school regardless of skin color

You sit back and listen to some people talk, they'll swear that Howard, Hampton FAMU=Harvard or Yale.

My mom brought up the point, which was a really good one, that going to a black school the teachers understand you more, and are more willing to help blackstudents outside of the normal Prof. Student relationship(i.e office hours and stuff). I don't need nor do I want another parent when I go to school.

But as another example we got Warren Bufet to come speak, also George Bush Jr(while he was president) and Bill Clinton to name a few. The other day we had aguess speaker, in a class of six, who wrote a book on education that is turning the education world on it's ear(can't remember his name because I'ma philosophy major and wasn't all that interested until he talked about philo)

Not saying black schools are bad, but they aren't the [dookie] as some black people will led you to believe.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Because that's just us, even when we try to do something wright, we do it wrong.

Of course, there are no non HBCU schools that fit whatever negative generalizations you have of HBCUs
laugh.gif

Oh the irony....

and OP, this won' t end well

Back
Top Bottom