Why are black schools held in such high regard?

Originally Posted by 902kicks

Originally Posted by tmukg21

Do you realize blacks were not even allowed in "white" schools?

So black schools meant black students could get a post-high school education

What resources are we talking about?

and the social environment is what you make it regardless of school

What do you think people would say now if they heard about an all "white" school?
I'm thinking a lot of people would scream racism...
same thing with BET.. what if there were a WET and ALL white shows. (disregarding the fact that it used to actually be this way)

Equality should mean integrated not segregated
You really havent seen TV lately. Look at certain Networks and you will see all white shows.

Originally Posted by DaCitySlanga

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

bowie state aint @%!! i know that

class of 07.

But most people look at HBCUs as the social scene. Look at Drumline, Stomp the Yard, School Daze, A Different World, and most recently College Hill. People look at those and say I want to go for the social scene. However some HBCUs have good programs that are nationally recognized. Morgan has the leading graduates in Black Engineers, Howard does as far as Doctors and Lawyers, Bowie as far as Black Teachers in the DC Area.

As a product of 2 HBCUs yes they are overated, but I would NOT trade it for the world. Some of my friends went to U of MD, UVA, Rutgers, and transfered back due to the 400+ students in one class, a campus that has over 30,000 students, and the teachers dont even know your name, just the last 4 digits of your SSN. The workload is the same at an HBCU and a White School, however they make it soo much harder than it needs to be at a white school. Plus the same coworkers I am working with spent over 80,000 for the same degree I have and are not any farther than I am
smh.gif
. They paid for the name like a dummy. But like I said to each thier own.

Originally Posted by infamousod

most HBCU's offer pretty lucrative financial aid to get non-blacks to attend. most want to break the label of HBCU cause times are changing and every place should be integrated. the whole idea of an HBCU now is ridiculous, its just more segregation, especially when a lot of non-HBCU are trying to get more blacks enrolled.
indifferent.gif

Segregation has NOTHING to do with it. HBCUs are no different than a white institution. Some students want to attend college but maybe dont have the funds b/c white institutions are very expensive than a HBCU. Some students may have the Grades but not so good SAT scores, some may not have the best of grades like a 2.8 G.P.A. But they can attend an HBCU. If you look at US News and Reposrts there are many HBCUs that are doing very well than White Institutions.

I agree with you fam. What I fill say is this, trying to regard all HBCUs into one category is rediculous. The way I see it, depending on what you're goingto school for is how you compare one HBCU to another. For example, For Business, Its Morehouse, for Engineering, NC A&T, for Nursing Winston-Salem State.But as far as why they are in high regard OP, you gotta see the generation your people are coming from. I mean back when she was in school, going to a Blackcollege when you're black is what you did because you knew you had a better chance to go there. Nowadays, the history and tradition at HBCUs is stillthere, but for other reasons people don't want to deal with them anymore. For example, I just transferred from Winston-Salem State this year. Not becauseof the atmosphere (loved it) but because the Administration was shady. The offices of Residence Life and Financial Aid treated the majority of the studentslike crap. To wrap it Up:

Don't just right off all HBCUs as the same, talk to the students who've been at any of the schools before you decide on anything, and make the bestdecision for YOU...

Originally Posted by 902kicks

Originally Posted by tmukg21

Do you realize blacks were not even allowed in "white" schools?

So black schools meant black students could get a post-high school education

What resources are we talking about?

and the social environment is what you make it regardless of school

What do you think people would say now if they heard about an all "white" school?
I'm thinking a lot of people would scream racism...
same thing with BET.. what if there were a WET and ALL white shows. (disregarding the fact that it used to actually be this way)

Equality should mean integrated not segregated

Guys..Really now..please please please do some research and think ahead before commenting.
**902kicks I really don't want to single you out, but i see you hold the same stereotypical connotations as many others whom have posted.

PLEASE LISTEN UP..... HBCU's are NOT ALL BLACK..........I don't know how i can stress this enough. I've stated before that they were not segregatedschools, only allowing African American's in. That thought is WRONG. Same with people thinking the money provided by UNCF is only for black students....WRONG

I think it is foolish for people to think that these schools should drop the HBCU moniker, when in fact all it is stating is that the school was founded as ahigher education institution to provide equal education opportunities for African Americans in an era where they were not allowed to go to your Harvards. YourBoston U's, your William and Mary's and so on and so forth. African American educators had to found their own institutions for their children and otheradults and their children to go to school.

For blacks who are posting in this thread and are against HBCU's..fine be against them, but don't just go all out and put them down...If they werenever around, do you REALLY think you or your parents would be where you and they are today... HONESTLY..do you stop and THINK about that.....?? They arecalled Historically Black Colleges and Universities, because at a time when blacks weren't supposed to receive a higher education, my people defied thatthought and founded their own schools, not just for their people but for EVERYBODY to receive an education.

The HBCU moniker needs to stay, the schools are and will always be historically black, just meaning that they were founded and built up by blacks....nothingmore, nothing less...

Hell, and just to throw in more facts... NC Central is one of the TOP business schools in NC..that includes DUKE, UNC, NC State and the rest of them...people
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom