Why are black schools held in such high regard?

Originally Posted by raptors29

My parents told me not to go to an HBCU. My mom went to FAMU for a semester and left. After living in Montgomery I don't really even want to be around an HBCU.

you tryin to dis my school
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

HBCU's pretty much all jokes at actual academic institutions. Honest truth.
truth. the best one (Howard) is not even ranked in the top 100.

of course, the same can be said for some of the schools white people like, like Arizona State.

but then again, i've never heard someone swear up and down that Arizona State is a good academic school.

Originally Posted by cartune

My parents told me not to go to an HBCU. My mom went to FAMU for a semester and left. After living in Montgomery I don't really even want to be around an HBCU.

nerd.gif
What ASU?

nerd.gif
What ASU?
Unfortunately
frown.gif

Well I think it depends on who you are talking to. A lot of folks have negative ideas about HBCUs. I went to Hampton and would do it all over again if I hadthe chance. It's just a great feeling to be around so many people similar to you that are on it and have goals. We as blacks are stereotyped all the time,so it's nice to see thousands that make those stereotypes false

Originally Posted by Lazy B

*Waits for ##$# to hit the fan.*

Word. Every damn week. A random NT'er makes these threads. Enough already folks. Refer to previous threads or something

Their are pros and cons to every school but I bet Howard or Morehouse are better than most other schools out. Im not going to an myself HBCU because Idon't want to go out of state but I would highly consider Howard. It's a tier one school and it's ranked pretty good. Plus you don't have todeal with all the white people using affirmative action as a scapegoat for you getting in (even though most schools stopped using it ages ago). Everyone I knowthat went to black colleges left with a wide number of contacts, and connections. I think the main thing is the fact that it is a historically black universitythat has been around for a long time, and is competitive and they train you to be the best you can, and teachers actually care about making you into somebodybecause they don't want their school getting bad press, and because they care about the progression of our people. Thats the main reason blacks haven'tbeen as successful as other racial groups (because we don't know how to work together, we're always hating on someone). I just talked to this marriedcouple from Atlanta while I was on vacation last week and the wife had went to Howard, and the Husband went to a prestigious "white school" (for lackof a better term) and he really regretted not going to an HBCU because his wife left with a bunch of contacts that continue to benefit her to this day, as wellas being pushed to be the best by her professors.

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Their are pros and cons to every school but I bet Howard or Morehouse are better than most other schools out. Im not going to an myself HBCU because I don't want to go out of state but I would highly consider Howard. It's a tier one school and it's ranked pretty good. Plus you don't have to deal with all the white people using affirmative action as a scapegoat for you getting in (even though most schools stopped using it ages ago). Everyone I know that went to black colleges left with a wide number of contacts, and connections. I think the main thing is the fact that it is a historically black university that has been around for a long time, and is competitive and they train you to be the best you can, and teachers actually care about making you into somebody because they don't want their school getting bad press, and because they care about the progression of our people. Thats the main reason blacks haven't been as successful as other racial groups (because we don't know how to work together, we're always hating on someone). I just talked to this married couple from Atlanta while I was on vacation last week and the wife had went to Howard, and the Husband went to a prestigious "white school" (for lack of a better term) and he really regretted not going to an HBCU because his wife left with a bunch of contacts that continue to benefit her to this day, as well as being pushed to be the best by her professors.
l
But the BEST black school is only ranked 102. Think about the rest
sick.gif

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-search/page+5

I'm black and I understand that HBCUs serve a purpose, but honestly if you are an African American with intelligence and potential I suggest you don'tattend an HBCU. Greatness inspires Greatness. Competition brings out the best in people. If you're not around the absolute best you can be around, how canyou reach your full potential?

The only reason I would have attended Howard or Morehouse is simply to attain a 3.8+ GPA and go to Gradschool, Law School, or Med School.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Originally Posted by DaCitySlanga

Segrastion
i1cit3.jpg

busterKeaton_stoneFace.jpg
you the one that cant spell for @%$@... next time try sounding out the word... you'll get closer than you did that time
Typical NTer that points out something that is irrelevant than the whole point of OPs topic. That was the reason for the stone face. Thanks forthe pointer though.
indifferent.gif

nerd.gif
What ASU?
Unfortunately
frown.gif

What year are you?

Junior

Segrastion
i1cit3.jpg

you the one that cant spell for @%$@... next time try sounding out the word... you'll get closer than you did that time
Typical NTer that points out something that is irrelevant than the whole point of OPs topic. That was the reason for the stone face. Thanks for the pointer though.
indifferent.gif
maybe if you had been closer to the spelling of the word i would have given you a pass... but you wrote SEGRASTION... when you were trying towrite SEGREGATION

Segrastion
i1cit3.jpg

Typical NTer that points out something that is irrelevant than the whole point of OPs topic. That was the reason for the stone face. Thanks for the pointer though.
indifferent.gif
maybe if you had been closer to the spelling of the word i would have given you a pass... but you wrote SEGRASTION... when you were trying to write SEGREGATION
And back to topic at hand OP

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by DB WEST

Their are pros and cons to every school but I bet Howard or Morehouse are better than most other schools out. Im not going to an myself HBCU because I don't want to go out of state but I would highly consider Howard. It's a tier one school and it's ranked pretty good. Plus you don't have to deal with all the white people using affirmative action as a scapegoat for you getting in (even though most schools stopped using it ages ago). Everyone I know that went to black colleges left with a wide number of contacts, and connections. I think the main thing is the fact that it is a historically black university that has been around for a long time, and is competitive and they train you to be the best you can, and teachers actually care about making you into somebody because they don't want their school getting bad press, and because they care about the progression of our people. Thats the main reason blacks haven't been as successful as other racial groups (because we don't know how to work together, we're always hating on someone). I just talked to this married couple from Atlanta while I was on vacation last week and the wife had went to Howard, and the Husband went to a prestigious "white school" (for lack of a better term) and he really regretted not going to an HBCU because his wife left with a bunch of contacts that continue to benefit her to this day, as well as being pushed to be the best by her professors.
l
But the BEST black school is only ranked 102. Think about the rest
sick.gif

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-search/page+5

I'm black and I understand that HBCUs serve a purpose, but honestly if you are an African American with intelligence and potential I suggest you don't attend an HBCU. Greatness inspires Greatness. Competition brings out the best in people. If you're not around the absolute best you can be around, how can you reach your full potential?

The only reason I would have attended Howard or Morehouse is simply to attain a 3.8+ GPA and go to Gradschool, Law School, or Med School.

I guess your right, Oprah Winfrey, Thurgood Marshall, Dr. King, Nikki Giovanni, and Langston Hughes among others couldn't reach their full potential
eyes.gif
. It's not the school that counts, it's your individual effort at that school that plays the largest role in whether or not you succeed.

^back then, HBCUs actually stood for something. now they're all about showing off your clothes and partying/going to the club...
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

^back then, HBCUs actually stood for something. now they're all about showing off your clothes and partying/going to the club...
eyes.gif

You say that like thats not what damn near every other college is like. I bet cash they partied back then too.

infamousod wrote:

most HBCU's offer pretty lucrative financial aid to get non-blacks to
attend. most want to break the label of HBCU cause times are changing
and every place should be integrated. the whole idea of an HBCU now is
ridiculous, its just more segregation, especially when a lot of
non-HBCU are trying to get more blacks enrolled.

indifferent.gif

Segregation has NOTHING to do with it. HBCUs are no different than a white institution. Some students want to attend college but maybe dont have the funds b/c white institutions are very expensive than a HBCU. Some students may have the Grades but not so good SAT scores, some may not have the best of grades like a 2.8 G.P.A. But they can attend an HBCU. If you look at US News and Reposrts there are many HBCUs that are doing very well than White Institutions.

segregation is exactly what it is. blacks have been fighting to gain equality and be seen as equals but instead of being around other people they keep tothemselves?

WAKE THE HELL UP. there's no such thing as a 'white school,' in fact you implying that there are such things as 'white institutions' iscounter productive and just plain wrong since all schools are trying everything within legal limits to have their school reflect the demographic breakdown ofthe country, meaning minorities. they will roll out the red carpet for intelligent and capable black students.

and there are plenty of regular colleges that accept students with 2.8 GPAs. if that's all HBCUs do then you just made the case that more often than not aHBCU is a second rate school made up so that underachieving black students can get a degree. HBCUs are like a shell that insulate young black people from therest of the world, it might help teach you how to function as a black person in a 'white world' or whatever but at the end of the day it's still ashell.

--

btw:

FAMU cost/year

UNDERGRADUATE
IN-STATE ON CAMPUS $14,430
IN-STATE OFF CAMPUS $15,134
IN-STATE W/ PARENTS $9,866

FSU

Estimated Undergraduate Basic Costs 2008-2009

Florida Residents

Non-Florida Residents
Tuition/Fees
$ 4,007
$ 18,452
On-Campus Housing
Food (Meal Plan)
Books/Supplies
TOTAL
$ 13,185
$ 27,630

basically it's about 1000$/year cheaper to attend FSU than at FAMU across the street. and at FSU you might get some extra scholarships for being aminority.

source:
http://fsu.edu/students/prospective/undergraduate/finances/costs.html
http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?FinancialAid&CostofAttendance

well idk about everyone else
but im in this dual degree program

fort valley state university
hbcu
math major
3 years and im on to

univ of texas - austin
twi
petroleum engineering
2 years and im $$$$$$$

Anyway, I'll get the best of both worlds, so to speak cuz fort valley sucks, but thats another story. Since these threads come around so often, I prettymuch have a pre-response.. HBCU's are just that. Historically black. Nowhere are there rules that say only blacks can attend. They still serve a purpose,giving some that otherwise would not have a chance, an opportunity to receive an education. I will say that some take this for granted, coming to college,getting caught up in the social aspects, and failing the hell out. That's where some of the negativity comes from. Two. Funding. Most if not all hbcu'sare heavily underfunded, especially state schools. Why is it that say.. UGA gets this much money per student, while little ol hbcu Fort Valley gets pennies?That's why our resources are limited. That's why the dorms are in such bad conditions (besides the fact that some of these hood n's don't knowhow to take care of nice things, word to the writing on the elevator door and trash in our brand new suites...). There is no need to %@%# on HBCU's andlook down on them. At the end of the day, we're all trying to get a solid education and better ourselves.

infamousod In order to get equality and equal education HBCU's had to be made. You need an African American Studies course because all you arguments havehuge holes from lack of information. Especially after saying this.
HBCU is a second rate school made up so that underachieving black students can get a degree.
You wouldn't be saying simple $!!@ like that if you actually knew why Historically Black Colleges were established in the first place. Go reada book on it.

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

infamousod
In order to get equality and equal education HBCU's had to be made. You need an African American Studies course because all you arguments have huge holes from lack of information.
Especially after saying this.

HBCU is a second rate school made up so that underachieving black students can get a degree.

You wouldn't be saying simple $!!@ like that if you actually knew why Historically Black Colleges were established in the first place. Go read a book on it.

let me help you out there, this was my quote WITH context:

if that's all HBCUs do then you just made the case that more often than not a HBCU is a second rate school made up so that underachieving black students can get a degree.

I don't have anything against the schools themselves, I was refuting the argument that HBCUs are there so that underachieving black students can go tocollege, because that's just false. HBCUs were established prior to 1964 because they had to be. But in 2009 they make no sense, especially since non-HBCUschools are trying to get more minority enrollment.

'DaCitySlanga' (go figure) was saying that HBCUs are more affordable and take in black students who can't get into 'whiteinstitutions'...those two statements are false.

To be clear, I have no quarrel with what HBCUs were, I have a problem with what HBCUs are, now, today.

laugh.gif
don't kid yaself, when it comes to academics, black school are avg. To say the least and yes I went to one before...they are jus party schools plainand simple...I wouldn't have mind stayin at hampton for a semester tho...

Back
Top Bottom