Why Are There So Many Murders in Chicago?

/thread. and this kid makes me feel 50/50. half angry cuz he's setting us back, and making it harder for me to maintain a positive public image who are trying to do something with themselves (like me) , at least to those who don't know me. on the flipside, he's a product of his environment, and i can't blame him fully. i want to, but it wouldnt be fair.

in reading all this, i didn't see a solution. just criticism. so i ask you, how do you see this problem ending? (not trying to be a ****, just want to know what you think the answer is to all this, sincerely)

i underlined ur first point because its a strong argument. to be clear the solution does start at home. if the parents were able to dedicated a normal amount of hours to their kids, and if they have the right mindset, then the repeated stagnant problem we see today would start to dissipate. i also agree that in turn, parents who can't afford the time to raise their children because they are working so much will ultimately have kids who grow up via outside influences...aka the streets. and there are def social/economical/historical reasons as to the current status of the black/latino community. but if this isn't the parents fault than where do you fix the problem?

in any demographic, background, religion, whatever...IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD CHILDREN, DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN.. its as simple as that. If you are working at a long hour job but aren't making a decent salary than you cannot afford the time and money to dedicate to raising a kid. going against this rule results in what we see today.

Why should having children be a luxury that only the rich should be able to afford? In the wealthiest country in the world no less? Why should such wealth be concentrated in the hands of so few people while other people in this very country are literally homeless and hungry and others can barely afford food, clothing, and shelter? We're talking about millions of people here. Why is there a ghetto or barrio in the first place, the existence of which can influence children?

These are the questions we need to be asking and ultimately addressing if we want real solutions to the issues endemic in our society the way it is currently structured...

ya, but at the end of the day its a rule of thumb for any responsible person who wants to become a parent. if you can't afford the kid, don't have it. you are doing more harm than good. this is a reason why these pro life people piss me off. they don't give a **** if the kid will make it in life, because as far as they are concerned god will take care of the kid :smh: this ironically does't make them pro life, because no1 in their right mind would want a kid to grow up miserable. but thats for another thread lol

Low income communities need leaders and a house of representatives.

We need to figure out how to bring production back to the states.

The heads of product based companies need some type of salary cap or something similar to remove the incentives of outsourcing labor to other countries.

There’s a reason 1% controls 50%, and that creates a breeding ground for situations such as these.

People saying, “Well they should just go to college and get a good job.” aren't realizing the ramifications of their "advice". What the hell do you think would happen if there were 20+million more people with college degrees in the workforce right now? There would be 19 million more unemployed or overqualified individuals looking for work.

Unfortunately, this is one of the results of capitalism clashing with globalization.

The first step to fixing the issue is to increase taxes on the wealthy and begin funding the government/community programs that need to be put in place to prepare people for a new economic system. The 2 parts need to come into fruition and see progression at the same time.

None of this will happen though because the system is designed this way for a reason. The greedy people in positions of power are comfortable with the distance that there is between themselves and the lower class and aren’t looking to shorten it up in their lifetime. There are too many moving parts in the global economic machine that need greasing.

The current system is almost entirely designed to keep the impoverished in poverty. Yes there are ways to get use it to your advantage (financial aid), but there obviously isn’t room for everyone.

Sorry I was all over the place ranting.

We need to go from murder to excellence.

Well, I think it stems from the family and the government. I'm an African American male,but i'm not the typical African American male based soley on how I was raised. The single parent thing is complete B.S. I say that because my dad has been in prison ever since I was 3 years old. My mom didn't let me use that as an excuse and I appreciate her for that. My mom instilled fear in me as a kid lol I was scared to do anything for fear of what she would do to me. I was raised in the hood if you want to call it that. Every male that's related to me has been to prison or involved in some type of criminal activity. You know about my dad,but my uncle my mom's brother was in prison when I was first born,but he got out and didn't change. Over the years he exposed me to drugs, fist/gun fights, and having no respect for authority(he was running from the police and told me to slam the door.) He also was driving with me in the car while smoking weed. We came to a road block and he did not want to stop so he hit the gas. We ended up crashing and fled on foot. He got caught and went to jail. I was like 4 years old at the time so I went to the ER and was examined. I flew thru the windshield,but I came away with only and busted lip. Am I proud that I went thru this at such a young age? No I'm not but it inspired me to be nothing like my dad or uncle. Being raised in a single parent household is possible, but that single parent has to be strong minded. My mom wasn't as strict with my younger brother and I think yall know how he turned out. Might I add the whole music influences people I agree with that because nowadays these whole rappers rap about being real taking about being bout that life and s*** like that. I used to ask my self why music is censored but movies aren't and I came up with a hypothesis when a child watches a movie he knows the person playing the role is an ACTOR, but when a musican raps about something he says it's his life he lived it. So when a child hears that they're going to assume that rapper actually has done what he raps about. We know that isn't true just look at Rick Ross. Parent's need to make sure they're child knows that the rapper is an ENTERTAINER so don't take what they say to heart. I'm not bashing rap music by any means I only listen to rap and not nerd rap or what's playing on the radio nowadays. I listen to everything from N.W.A. to Project Pat to Ganksta N.I.P. , but I know they are only entertainers.

I say the government is responsible for the conditions of African Americans. America sets minorities up to fail. Look at the cost of tuition to go to college. $6,000 for tuition alone, doesnt include meal plan, living expenses,etc. By making college almost impossible for low income people to attend that is a major handicap to this system alone. I would be in favor of raising taxes in order to allow everyone to attend college for free atleast tuition. Many other countries do this so why can't the "Best Country In The World."Government assistance is another handicap to people. The system should be changed. Stop giving people supplies because the supplies runs out eventually. Instead help people find jobs. I didn't think about this until I took a sociology class, but the workplace finds a way to discriminate against minorities even if they haven't seen the candidate. By looking at the name for instance, if you see an application that says Jamaal Brown it is safe to assume that candidate is an African American male. Many employers will throw the application away based on the name,address,or zip code. We have demographics for a reason. It's not just minorities affected by actions like this, but women as well. That's why a woman can make less than a man who has the same title of her.

So the minorities are at fault for the crime, but the government is also as well. Minorites need to stop taking pride in being ignorant and start taking pride in getting an education. The government needs to stop being biased based on a person's ethnic background.

you say the single parent thing is bs, but then go on to say it takes a strong minded parent, while also saying your moms wasn't as strict w/ your younger brother and to that end i guess he was worse off for it? while, as an eldest sibling, i can definitely attest to the phenomenon of parental easing of rules/strictness (used infuriate me when my parents would let younger siblings slide on some ish i would caught the biz for!) i don't believe that your mom all of sudden became a lax parent (obviously you believe that to be the case)...you say many/if not all the males close to you were involved in criminal activity...couldn't you just say that you are/were the exception? that you saw/experienced things that made you consciously decide that life wasn't for you, that maybe you brother didn't see/experience? i get that media/visuals are important, that they can & do perpetuate certain things to an extent but that argument doesn't hold weight because, the largest consumers of this stuff are supposedly suburban white males, and no one is up in arms (yet anyways) about why white dudes are killing each other. you say you aren't a typical african american male, what do you mean when you say that? what does that mean you think about what the 'typical african american male' is?

as to government being at fault, there is an argument that can be made for that but the problem of violence in places like englewood is much too complicated to lame the blame one place; i think we are all complicit.

Low income communities need leaders and a house of representatives.

We need to figure out how to bring production back to the states.

The heads of product based companies need some type of salary cap or something similar to remove the incentives of outsourcing labor to other countries.

There’s a reason 1% controls 50%, and that creates a breeding ground for situations such as these.

People saying, “Well they should just go to college and get a good job.” aren't realizing the ramifications of their "advice". What the hell do you think would happen if there were 20+million more people with college degrees in the workforce right now? There would be 19 million more unemployed or overqualified individuals looking for work.

Unfortunately, this is one of the results of capitalism clashing with globalization.

The first step to fixing the issue is to increase taxes on the wealthy and begin funding the government/community programs that need to be put in place to prepare people for a new economic system. The 2 parts need to come into fruition and see progression at the same time.

None of this will happen though because the system is designed this way for a reason. The greedy people in positions of power are comfortable with the distance that there is between themselves and the lower class and aren’t looking to shorten it up in their lifetime. There are too many moving parts in the global economic machine that need greasing.

The current system is almost entirely designed to keep the impoverished in poverty. Yes there are ways to get use it to your advantage (financial aid), but there obviously isn’t room for everyone.

Sorry I was all over the place ranting.

We need to go from murder to excellence.

even if production comes back to the states, the fact of the matter is that automated/robot workers will be doing most of the work; it will not like require a lot of human labor. over the course of the last 30-40 years wages in the middle class have stagnated, despite increasing productivity. whole industries & job markets have disappeared, it hasn't all been sweet though on the surface it looked like it was all good up until '08. while increasing taxes on wealthy may well be necessary & makes people 'feel better' it isn't an answer. i understand what you are saying, having too many people with college educations doesn't necessarily need to be a problem, it definitely could be, but some of the problem is WHAT people go to school for.

that the current system is "designed to keep the impoverished in poverty" ii not sure that is true, it is the way that it has worked out thus far; doesn't mean that is they way it has to be...

you say the single parent thing is bs, but then go on to say it takes a strong minded parent, while also saying your moms wasn't as strict w/ your younger brother and to that end i guess he was worse off for it? while, as an eldest sibling, i can definitely attest to the phenomenon of parental easing of rules/strictness (used infuriate me when my parents would let younger siblings slide on some ish i would caught the biz for!) i don't believe that your mom all of sudden became a lax parent (obviously you believe that to be the case)...you say many/if not all the males close to you were involved in criminal activity...couldn't you just say that you are/were the exception? that you saw/experienced things that made you consciously decide that life wasn't for you, that maybe you brother didn't see/experience? i get that media/visuals are important, that they can & do perpetuate certain things to an extent but that argument doesn't hold weight because, the largest consumers of this stuff are supposedly suburban white males, and no one is up in arms (yet anyways) about why white dudes are killing each other. you say you aren't a typical african american male, what do you mean when you say that? what does that mean you think about what the 'typical african american male' is?

as to government being at fault, there is an argument that can be made for that but the problem of violence in places like englewood is much too complicated to lame the blame one place; i think we are all complicit.
even if production comes back to the states, the fact of the matter is that automated/robot workers will be doing most of the work; it will not like require a lot of human labor. over the course of the last 30-40 years wages in the middle class have stagnated, despite increasing productivity. whole industries & job markets have disappeared, it hasn't all been sweet though on the surface it looked like it was all good up until '08. while increasing taxes on wealthy may well be necessary & makes people 'feel better' it isn't an answer. i understand what you are saying, having too many people with college educations doesn't necessarily need to be a problem, it definitely could be, but some of the problem is WHAT people go to school for.
s
that the current system is "designed to keep the impoverished in poverty" ii not sure that is true, it is the way that it has worked out thus far; doesn't mean that is they way it has to be...
Naw it's not the fact that she became a lax parent she just always let him get away with whatever he wanted which is the reason he turned out the way he did. I never said I wasn't the exception out of them I am no doubt. My brother is only 3 years younger than me so the same stuff I saw he saw. Of course white suburban males would be the heavy consumers of the music, white people are the majority. It differs when you take compare a white suburban male to an inner city minority because the minority is actually witnessing the things the rappers are rapping about which makes them more inclined to participate in activities. When I'm say I'm not the typical African American male im simply stating that I'm not what the media makes African American males to be.

as to government being at fault, there is an argument that can be made for that but the problem of violence in places like englewood ismuch too complicated to lame the blame one place; i think we are all complicit.
The violence in Englewood is primarily gang violence. Gangs formed when the white Boy Scouts would not let black males in. The males then formed their own groups. Gangs were supposed to be a good thing but over time they transformed into something bad. You ask a typical gang member why they joined a gang they would say because these are the guys who show me love all they are really looking for is to be apart of something. All gangs are is Fraternities that include violence. You take the violence away you could have a beautiful organization. 

Naw it's not the fact that she became a lax parent she just always let him get away with whatever he wanted which is the reason he turned out the way he did. I never said I wasn't the exception out of them I am no doubt. My brother is only 3 years younger than me so the same stuff I saw he saw. Of course white suburban males would be the heavy consumers of the music, white people are the majority. It differs when you take compare a white suburban male to an inner city minority because the minority is actually witnessing the things the rappers are rapping about which makes them more inclined to participate in activities. When I'm say I'm not the typical African American male im simply stating that I'm not what the media makes African American males to be.

definitely agree, that there is a big difference in between living with the things being sung in songs and not, i'm not really disputing that these things have influence/power, but to act as if they are causal doesn't jibe with me, because many of these issues PREDATE the music...

ok, so what so the media make black men to be? and when you say that you are not the 'typical african american male' (which equals what the media makes 'african american males to be') what do you classify other black males that you came up with as? do you believe they fit that description?

as to government being at fault, there is an argument that can be made for that but the problem of violence in places like englewood ismuch too complicated to lame the blame one place; i think we are all complicit.
The violence in Englewood is primarily gang violence. Gangs formed when the white Boy Scouts would not let black males in. The males then formed their own groups. Gangs were supposed to be a good thing but over time they transformed into something bad. You ask a typical gang member why they joined a gang they would say because these are the guys who show me love all they are really looking for is to be apart of something. All gangs are is Fraternities that include violence. You take the violence away you could have a beautiful organization. 

no doubt many of the gangs (at least the black ones) in chicago had their roots in community organization (the blackstones i believe at one point even got legit federal funds!!!) & various split and infighting, political, & governmental intervention caused a shift towards criminal activity. i also agree, that for many in these type of neighborhoods the 'choice' to be affiliated has much to do with being apart of something, but don't get it confused gangs are hood corporations and their 'workforce' depends on the lack of opportunities in these places...like compared to a place like chicago heights, another predominately black neighborhood, gangs are less of a problem (i know there are big differences, & there are problems there as well) but just to highlight where there are more opportunities outcomes are different)

Last edited:
Whether you're from the hood or not, everyone over 5 years old knows that murder is wrong. There's no excuse for all these murders unless it's self-defense. These people simply lack respect for human life and passing it on to their friends. A majority of people in the hood don't kill that grow up under similar circumstances, so what's these people's excuses, "to get by"? I just see them as close-minded followers that THINK killing is way of life.

Whether you're from the hood or not, everyone over 5 years old knows that murder is wrong. There's no excuse for all these murders unless it's self-defense. These people simply lack respect for human life and passing it on to their friends. A majority of people in the hood don't kill that grow up under similar circumstances, so what's these people's excuses, "to get by"? I just see them as close-minded followers that THINK killing is way of life.

cosign. same way kids aren't born racist, but when you bring that child to klan meets and throw a hood over the kid's head, in 10 yrs hell be spewin that hate.

Back
Top Bottom